Boomtown Festival 2015

Paul ™

The cider selection is brilliant.

There were three types of bars - basic ones that'll do a couple of ciders and beers and basic mixer drinks, cocktail ones that only do cider/beer in cans and lots of fancyass drinks (mayfair!) and the big ones which have quite impressive ranges

I think there were twenty different ciders in the bar that was by the old mines, but I might be wrong - they had a red-pear perry that which I've tried hunting down since without luck - might be the finest thing I've ever drunk.

By Saturday 11am starting the day with a pint of 8% was the right thing to do. IIRC it was about £4.50 a pint, not as cheap as hoped, better than it could be.

The food was better than I expected, but yeah it's much smaller so a smaller range but many many stalls from Glasto. You'll see why some glasto stall's frontage looks out of place too... it's Boomtown style. The cider bus folk are even there, though minus the bus.

Pick up a ticket - it's a mad sprint, you'll feel all festival'd out for a while

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were three types of bars - basic ones that'll do a couple of ciders and beers and basic mixer drinks, cocktail ones that only do cider/beer in cans and lots of fancyass drinks (mayfair!) and the big ones which have quite impressive ranges

I think there were twenty different ciders in the bar that was by the old mines, but I might be wrong - they had a red-pear perry that which I've tried hunting down since without luck - might be the finest thing I've ever drunk.

By Saturday 11am starting the day with a pint of 8% was the right thing to do. IIRC it was about £4.50 a pint, not as cheap as hoped, better than it could be.

The food was better than I expected, but yeah it's much smaller so a smaller range but many many stalls from Glasto. You'll see why some glasto stall's frontage looks out of place too... it's Boomtown style. The cider bus folk are even there, though minus the bus.

Pick up a ticket - it's a mad sprint, you'll feel all festival'd out for a while

New bar company this year so it'll be interesting to see how much it changes

New bar company this year so it'll be interesting to see how much it changes

ahh, brilliant! I thought the last one was rubbish. The system they had in taking the money meant it took twice as long to get a beer as it should do, because they didn't have twice the staff to make up for their stupid system.

Whoa that's some massive changes right there! That whole psyforest area was completely offlimits last year, the Lion's Den has moved right to the other end of UpTown, Chinatown has shifted forwards displacing the confused bit of DownTown and leaving some huge clearing - I assume for BangHai Palace bridging that and Dstrkt 5OOoooh it's exciting.Don't be afraid, it's one of the friendliest places I've ever been. There are dodgy types but they tend to stand out in the party atmosphere.Practise good tent security - no grouping of valuables, messy as hell tent, empty bags before you go to sleep - and talk to your neighbours, usual stuff really. Practise your cider drinking, then practise it some more

Thank you Frostypaw. Good to hear it's friendly, I'm sure the stories I've heard were exaggerated. If it turns out they weren't I'll just smile and, as you suggest...drink cider.

I'm sold.  That sort of variety is staggering given the festivals (other than Glasto) that I've attended in the past.  Coming from the north, £4.50ish for a pint is almost double what I'm used to paying but if the selection includes 8% stuff then it at least works out better than other festivals or the local gig venues I attend.

My Dad's coming around to the idea of attending, too, since he's quite a fan of some of the genres that are fairly well represented by the areas/line-up.  His attendance also means I'll be able to travel by car, as opposed to forking out £80 for a return coach ticket.

One last question.  They don't 100% enforce the alcohol limitations, surely?  If nothing else I could imagine it would take quite a bit of time to search people to the degree where they'd realise they had a little bit more with them than the designated limit.

I'm sold. That sort of variety is staggering given the festivals (other than Glasto) that I've attended in the past. Coming from the north, £4.50ish for a pint is almost double what I'm used to paying but if the selection includes 8% stuff then it at least works out better than other festivals or the local gig venues I attend.

My Dad's coming around to the idea of attending, too, since he's quite a fan of some of the genres that are fairly well represented by the areas/line-up. His attendance also means I'll be able to travel by car, as opposed to forking out £80 for a return coach ticket.

One last question. They don't 100% enforce the alcohol limitations, surely? If nothing else I could imagine it would take quite a bit of time to search people to the degree where they'd realise they had a little bit more with them than the designated limit.

My mate went last year, said they were pretty strict. But there's always ways of getting a bit extra in

My Dad's coming around to the idea of attending, too

Good lord.

This will be fun :)

They were pretty strict tbh, but as Sav says there's always a way. No glass. No opened bottles of anything though - if you wanna bring spirits gotta be clever about it. Searching for the how to is better as an exercise for the reader though I don't wanna be condoning anything

Good lord.

This will be fun :)

Guessing this has something to do with what Neil posted earlier in the thread about the majority of attendees being on the younger side?

They were pretty strict tbh, but as Sav says there's always a way. No glass. No opened bottles of anything though - if you wanna bring spirits gotta be clever about it. Searching for the how to is better as an exercise for the reader though I don't wanna be condoning anything

To be honest, whenever I end up taking spirits as well as my cider supply I always end up bringing the bulk of the former home again.  It was just a matter of wanting to bring along a little more cider.  But if the checks are that thorough then the bulky nature of the stuff in comparison to spirits would likely be my downfall.

It's by no means a deal breaker, obviously.  Just trying to look into ways to cut the overall cost of the weekend down a little without it involving drinking less!

Guessing this has something to do with what Neil posted earlier in the thread about the majority of attendees being on the younger side?

Nah I'm sure your dad's cool, as long as he's done festivals before or isn't too straight laced. And preferably doesn't mind what condition you end up in lol

Guess we'll have to see about the bar supplier - that is very interesting as i know they had a bit of a to-do after promising ticket buyers one price and ending up with pints a whole load more expensive. Fingers crossed it's not impacted things badly

Edited by frostypaw

Any slightly more mature people going this year? I'm in two minds - I have got to a certain age (55) that I am the last of my friends to go to festivals (apart from 'easier' events such as Larmer Tree) so for the last few years have travelled solo.

Not normally a problem, but I did find last year that I didn't have much in common with my campsite neighbours who were all late teens/early 20's. I know that it could have been a totally different story camping 50 yards away in any direction, but this coupled with the hills, the rain and the wind didn't make it my favourite festival to be honest.

I loved the whole concept, was bought up on 70's reggae and punk rock and had some great times last year, but I do remember coming away and thinking maybe its got to a stage where I need to seriously consider returning or not.

Since then I had a great Glastonbury (thank you Camp Solo) and am sorely tempted to go again, but obviously need to make a decision shortly before it sells out.

Do I give it a miss and just go to One Love a few weeks later which is much smaller and low key or do I once again dare enter the madness of Boomtown bearing in mind that we are unlikely to be hit by the tail end of a hurricane this year?

new map

1436826379-boomtown-2015-public-map.jpg

The quieter areas are reckoned to be the rear of Wild West camping (top of map in brown) and the back of Old Town camping (darker brown on right) but that's down and up another valley from the festival, albeit right by the coach entrance

Festaxi are running a sorta micro-bus service around site for those with hill-fear.

Seems like there's quite a few solo efesters and people wanting somewhere more 'certain' to camp so we should be able to organise something!

Quick show of hands for preference as an 'efests camp' and I'll knock up a version with a marker and routeplans from the gates so everyone can meet up. If someone is bringing a recognisable (dancing man?) flag then it'll make it easy

Darble worked well for Camp Solo at Glasto this year. Obviously it was a bit of a trek to some areas from there, but on the plus side was close to a entrance and there was plenty of room for all. Using that logic Wild West could be good especially if there is a 3 hour queue to get in like last year

On the other had if most people are going to be spending time Uptown or Trenchtown (Is that past where Old mines was last year?) then Old Town will work as well. I'm also guessing those with younger legs won't mind the hills as much

Edited by tjamest

Any slightly more mature people going this year? I'm in two minds - I have got to a certain age (55) that I am the last of my friends to go to festivals (apart from 'easier' events such as Larmer Tree) so for the last few years have travelled solo.

Not normally a problem, but I did find last year that I didn't have much in common with my campsite neighbours who were all late teens/early 20's. I know that it could have been a totally different story camping 50 yards away in any direction, but this coupled with the hills, the rain and the wind didn't make it my favourite festival to be honest.

I loved the whole concept, was bought up on 70's reggae and punk rock and had some great times last year, but I do remember coming away and thinking maybe its got to a stage where I need to seriously consider returning or not.

Since then I had a great Glastonbury (thank you Camp Solo) and am sorely tempted to go again, but obviously need to make a decision shortly before it sells out.

Do I give it a miss and just go to One Love a few weeks later which is much smaller and low key or do I once again dare enter the madness of Boomtown bearing in mind that we are unlikely to be hit by the tail end of a hurricane this year?

Go to Boomtown I was there last year fantastic, I am 10 years your junior but was with a mate your age and a younger crowd also would have meet up with Paul had he made it.  All the same this year I will camp at which was Trench Town and this year seems to be Wild West.

We will "adopt" you whether you want us to or not lol

Likely a met at the cider bar, forget what it is called, which I missed last year also.

You should definitely go whilst you still want to, plenty of time for easier/smaller/calmer festivals in years to come. Plus there will be no "r" this year. It's my first boomtown, I'll be 37 by then and I was wondering if I was too old. You are an inspiration.

Glad to say that as of yesterday I'm all booked up!

Nah I'm sure your dad's cool, as long as he's done festivals before or isn't too straight laced. And preferably doesn't mind what condition you end up in lol

He's only started going to them in the past five years but in that time has attended Download, IOW and the last three years at Glasto.  I'm normally not one to get into a massive state.  If anything, there's been times at festivals where he's been quite a bit more inebriated than myself!

My father just turned 70 earlier earlier this year, so although I doubt you'd consider him to fall into your age bracket it definitely shows that there are other more mature people willing and able to go along.

new map
1436826379-boomtown-2015-public-map.jpg

The quieter areas are reckoned to be the rear of Wild West camping (top of map in brown) and the back of Old Town camping (darker brown on right) but that's down and up another valley from the festival, albeit right by the coach entrance

Festaxi are running a sorta micro-bus service around site for those with hill-fear.

Seems like there's quite a few solo efesters and people wanting somewhere more 'certain' to camp so we should be able to organise something!

Quick show of hands for preference as an 'efests camp' and I'll knock up a version with a marker and routeplans from the gates so everyone can meet up. If someone is bringing a recognisable (dancing man?) flag then it'll make it easy

I think we're planning on camping in Wild West, purely for its proximity to the entrance and the apparent quiet nature.

This is not going to help things at all but....

I'm really looking forwards to Caravan Palace at the Town Centre, like, a ridiculous amount after seeing this... just gets insane towards the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiZ4jmRdS3Q

I will be down front fingers crossed :D

The bar we had the meet at is The Bad Apple bar, it's located in the Town Centre and a mix of young and old turned up last time - all very excited. Great for a few musical recommendations too

Thursday last time, 8pm? Wasn't too busy - the majority were in and hunting music by then I don't remember the bar being rammed or owt

IIRC it was in very full swing the moment things kick off Friday, getting together a large bunch of people after midday involves missing things

AroundTheSite-BoomtownFair2013-PB15.JPG

Kinda like this, photo from Efest's own Phil

Assuming it's not wet just outside on the left hand side seemed to work last time, between the bar and another excessive speaker stack - if it's raining the other end might be better inside as the DJ/bands are that end (assuming same layout?)