Calling 2015

atomised

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The London based festivals (wireless, calling, BST) do seem to struggle for whatever reason. I'm convinced that the offers that appear all to regularly are partly responsible for putting off punters from parting with full price for tickets

Sound/full Cost of these gigs....plus most of the bands they get usually have done a London show on their tour recently or are likely to in the future. There just isn't much of a unique selling point to them, I don't think.

The smaller London day festivals like Field Day/Lovebox etc seem to be doing well enough and I think in general offer better value. Sometimes don't sell out, but not got silly ticket offers on either so must be doing ok.

The London based festivals (wireless, calling, BST) do seem to struggle for whatever reason. I'm convinced that the offers that appear all to regularly are partly responsible for putting off punters from parting with full price for tickets

Do the organisers definitely care though? Maybe once they've sold enough tickets to the hardcore fans/tourists on ticket day and the months after they don't mind flogging the rest off half price (and cheaper).

Might be part of their business plan, like half price/two for one offers at theme parks/days out/supermarkets.

And obviously sometimes it works out like with Taylor Swift, Rolling Stones, one of the Drake gigs which are/were more or less sell outs.

Edited by maarrkk

Apparently you can still get Tier 3 tickets from that flash sale. Oh dear.

Wow, you actually can. Spectacular.

Honestly I'd gladly pay more than that for a Modest Mouse headline show but they'll probably only play for an hour or less here. I really hope they come back around because it's a huge oversight to make this their only UK date. I love The Hives too but I have zero interest in a snoozefest from Noel Gallagher.

• 2 weeks later...

Good day out, just stayed at the Main Stage all day really though. Could hear Wolf Alice while deep in the crowd for Noel, sounded pretty decent. Sunset Sons were pretty naff, Echo and the Bunnymen were enjoyable, Hives great fun as always, Modest Mouse weren't especially good. Ryan Adams is an excellent musician but where I was the crowd got very restless. A fight nearly broke out when some right idiots started shouting at Ryan between songs telling him to F off and so on, one of the kids looked like he had shat himself when some fella shouted at him. Noel was fantastic, fairly predictable setlist and covers but not much will beat singing Champagne Supernova in a field full of people imo. His solo stuff, by and large, went down really well. Stick in Half the World Away and there you have it, a pretty much perfect Noel set, shame he doesn't really do that one. 

Had a really good day too, and as mentioned previously, I was really surprised how small it was. Thought Sunset Sons, The Hives, Wolf Alice and NGHFB were all very good.

Lovely weather, the bar staff where polite and helpful (even managed to get a couple of free vodkas).

Much better than BST in my opinion.

Wasn't overly impressed with Noel Gallagher, to be honest. Thought the performance was a very forgettable one. Champagne Supernova and Don't Look Back in Anger were good but that's a given to be fair. Feel like his solo career has done nothing to deserve headlining slots.

Edited by aidenlangan95

Was okay, the sound levels were pretty dire for the most part on the main stage - Wolf Alice was the only band I properly enjoyed the sound for.

Modest Mouse had all their gear stolen on the way to London, which is why they seemed tense.

I thought I heard Isaac say something about losing their stuff but didn't know it was stolen, fair enough I say

Edited by ClemFandango97

I thought it was a good day out. As others have said, it was much smaller than I expected. I'm sure you could have had a reasonable listen from outside the site. The Hives put on a great show, I'd like to see them at one of their own gigs at some stage. Modest Mouse were OK, but it sounds like they had reason to not be on top form. Wolf Alice were great as always. Wasn't too fussed by Noel, but he did have some funny things to say in between songs.

Definitely worth the £21 reduced price.

• 8 months later...