Going to a festival on my own

Ew95

Hello everyone, this year I am planning to go to 2 festivals on my own. I'm still not 100% on it though because I'm a bit worried about it being unsafe for a woman to go to a festival alone? And with that I mostly mean being on the campsite in a tent by myself. Does anyone have any good/bad experiences with it?

I've done secret garden party twice on my own and never had any issues. It can be a bit frightening at times (one year it rained so bad my tent leaked and everything got soaked and I ended up spending the night in my car). But, sometimes stuff like that opens you up to making new friends or having new experiences (the next day I got talking to two lads who insisted I stayed with them in their campervan - and before anyone says it no, not in THAT way, they were just being nice. I spent the whole of the rest of the festival tagging along with them and they introduced me to drum and bass and I introduced them to Orbital). Good times.

I think what Katster says is good, at least with festivals there are so many other people around to help, and from a safety point of view, if you get to know people around you it should be OK.

I don't know what the official statistics are.

anyone?

There's the efestival safety guide here:

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/info/Security.shtml

and the NHS site has some external links:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Festivalhealth/Pages/Safety.aspx

Edited by feral chile

What like ratio of good people to bad? Lol.

Tent theft is still an issue at all festivals but that's a risk whether you go alone or not. I can't really see any increased risk to your personal safety whether you are at the festival alone or with friends. You are just as likely to be robbed/attacked/injured, no?

Just don't do what I did. Last time I bollocked some guy for being in my tent and what the funk did he think he was doing....then looked to my right to see my tent. Oops. I apologised and told him to ignore me and go back to sleep (luckily he was that out of it he didn't properly wake).

What like ratio of good people to bad? Lol.

Tent theft is still an issue at all festivals but that's a risk whether you go alone or not. I can't really see any increased risk to your personal safety whether you are at the festival alone or with friends. You are just as likely to be robbed/attacked/injured, no?

Ah I see I've left myself open to misinterpretation again. I'm glad you asked me for clarification Katster.

incidents of violent assaults compared to other public events.

I thought that was the way to assess risk, look at what the risk ratio actually is?

I'm not trained in risk assessment, however, so that's just an opinion.

Edited by feral chile

Thanks for the comments. I am going to Pinkpop and Pukkelpop, I live in the Netherlands. I've been to Pukkelpop before last year with a friend so I know how it is there so I'm not as nervous about going there alone.

Hello Ew95

I'm just wondering if there are any Facebook groups or similar for those festivals where people who are going solo arrange to meet up for companionship and security? Might be worth looking in to.

Ah I see I've left myself open to misinterpretation again. I'm glad you asked me for clarification Katster.

incidents of violent assaults compared to other public events.

I thought that was the way to assess risk, look at what the risk ratio actually is?

I'm not trained in risk assessment, however, so that's just an opinion.

I knew what you were asking I was just teasing :)

I knew what you were asking I was just teasing :)

All the same, thanks for letting me clarify what I was saying. It might not have been clear to someone new to festivals.

I toyed with the idea of going to festivals on my own myself, but never quite plucked up the courage.

I wish I had though, instead of missing out.

Edited by feral chile

I'm only going to mention this because it happened. I went to Glastonbnury and went a bit 'walk about'. When I returned to my tent my, then girlfriend said some bloke had entered the tent and fallen asleep. There was no doubt in my mind that this happened but was also innocent.

It's pretty much odds on that you'll be OK. Just enjoy the place not fear it,

I went to Thailand on my own, just the same as going to a festival. Just be friendly, offer a bevvie, its not like you have nothing to talk about as an in... (buy a program first)

1) where are you guys from?

2) how long did it take you to get here?

3) fancy a drink?

4) do you mind if I join you?

5) who are you most looking forward to seeing?

6) someone will ask to have a look through your program & they will be ever grateful

7) always take lip balm

Then relax, say what bands you want to see & if they'd like to come with you if they've got a lull in their schedule.

I've done a fair few festivals on my own and never had a problem. But I'm a bloke now in his sixties. It may be different for a young woman, I can't comment on that. Also not been to either of the two festivals you are considering. But I've always felt quite safe at the UK festivals I've been to.

The best advice I can offer is make friends with your neighbours. You look out for them and they'll look out for you.

Thanks guys, I've decided I'm gonna do it. I'll try to find a spot at the campsite that have nice neighbours, I don't wanna be next to a huge group of guys for example (no offense) because I don't feel very safe with that. And hopefully have a nice time there :)

Edited by Ew95

Thanks guys, I've decided I'm gonna do it. I'll try to find a spot at the campsite that have nice neighbours, I don't wanna be next to a huge group of guys for example (no offense) because I don't feel very safe with that. And hopefully have a nice time there :)

Is it that bad that you'd find being next to blokes, as in any old blokes. offensive? If the answer is yes, then the solution is no - in my opinion.

I'd say couples are the best to camp with. It was a complete coincidence but the second time I went alone I ended up camped next to meesh (a board member on here) and her fella and they made me feel very safe, secure and welcome. I think a group of girls could be equally if not more so intimidating as a group of guys, personally.

Is it that bad that you'd find being next to blokes, as in any old blokes. offensive? If the answer is yes, then the solution is no - in my opinion.

I don't really know what you mean, but I didn't mean to offend people anyways. I wouldn't feel comfortable having my tent next to a huge group of guys who all return very drunk at night. And ur right Katster xD I have a solution anyways, I'm going to a different campsite thats generally more peaceful than the official festivals campsites and I feel more safe there too :P