Hot Chip warm up gig Birmingham 20th Feb

hurdy

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I hope Joe Goddard turns up.  What do we think the chances are?

I thought you meant tomorrow night at first. Would be strange seeing them both at a church  in Ancoats.

What's the chances of alexis playing solo at the festival? Did he do his piano thing last year or was it just the Prince dj set?

In regards to Hot Chip, what will be their progression at the festival? You would think that new music will be about come 2019. Where would they play? Headline JP or something similar?

Alexis appeared solo at The Crows Nest. They're all friends with the Hot Chip crew up there, so I'm expecting at the very least a Joe Goddard and a Pillow Person set. Hopefully another 4 hour Al Doyle DJ set too...

3 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I thought you meant tomorrow night at first. Would be strange seeing them both at a church  in Ancoats.

What's the chances of alexis playing solo at the festival? Did he do his piano thing last year or was it just the Prince dj set?

In regards to Hot Chip, what will be their progression at the festival? You would think that new music will be about come 2019. Where would they play? Headline JP or something similar?

They headlined JP in 2007 or 2008 if i remember right

16 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I'd like to think they could break through to headlining Other, but I expect them to stay around Other sub / WH headliner size.  Would be nice to see them take another step up.

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'd like to think they could break through to headlining Other, but I expect them to stay around Other sub / WH headliner size.  Would be nice to see them take another step up.

I don't think they are any smaller than LCD Soundsystem. Unfortunately they don't have the hype around them to headline other I do not think.

They would be wasted subbing anywhere, they should be headlining.

I hope they would push on to other headline status. Unfortunately I just can't see it.

Yeah, i love them, but it's unfortunately going to take something pretty special from them next time round to move them up a slot. Or, alternatively, they split up for 5-7 years and then reform.

I think Joe Goddard is actually playing live (as opposed to dj'ing) at some festival close to Glasto so this is very hopeful. He has an album out in a few weeks and the stuff released so far sounds amazing, sample heavy on the vocals, funk / house hybrid. 

In terms of Hot Chip, they've played almost everywhere around the site now. They're definitely big enough to headline West Holts again but barring some monster hits from the next album, Other Stage headliner is probably out of reach. I'd love to see them headline the Park at some point though.

14 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Caribou into Hot Chip in 2015 was the best night I've ever had on The Farm. Brilliant stuff. 

West Holts suited them IMO. 

1 minute ago, Brock Landers said:

I should add too that the Friday they headlined West Holts was one of the best 4/5 hour continuous music I've ever witnessed at Glasto. Gaslamp Killer Experience into Run The Jewels into Caribou into Hot Chip. Fucking hell!!!.

Couldn't persuade any friends to come with me so was on my lonesome but yes, best run of music I've ever experienced anywhere.

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

Yeah, i love them, but it's unfortunately going to take something pretty special from them next time round to move them up a slot. Or, alternatively, they split up for 5-7 years and then reform.

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

I don't think they are any smaller than LCD Soundsystem. Unfortunately they don't have the hype around them to headline other I do not think.

They would be wasted subbing anywhere, they should be headlining.

I hope they would push on to other headline status. Unfortunately I just can't see it.

Yep, I completely agree with you both. They're not smaller than LCD, but they're lacking the hype from having split up and got back together.

To be honest, I'd rather keep getting proper Hot Chip albums every few years than see them at Other...

... Although that LCD set was incredible. Imagine an atmosphere that electric, with Hot Chip tunes.

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I hope Joe Goddard turns up.  What do we think the chances are?

Yeah I spoke to him when I saw 2 bears in Camden a few weeks ago, he is definitely playing glasto but don't know when or where.  Knowing him he'll pop up a few times in different capacities.

24 minutes ago, Morgs74 said:

Yeah I spoke to him when I saw 2 bears in Camden a few weeks ago, he is definitely playing glasto but don't know when or where.  Knowing him he'll pop up a few times in different capacities.

22 minutes ago, your mother said:

Saw him in the crows nest last year doing it. I was feeling a little sorry for myself but it was bloody lovely, every song felt like he was giving me a hug

Out of upvotes.  Two posts that make me happy :)

4 hours ago, eastynh said:

Off to see Alexis do his solo thing tomorrow. Has anyone been and if yes, what did you think of it?

It's very lovely and super chilled. 

Very keen for various hot chip offshoots at glastonbury this year. Very much looking forward to Joe's solo show. Will be seeing him at king tuts first but will undoubtedly be at the glastonbury one too. Als DJ set at the crows nest last year was a beautiful party. :)

Hot Chip are usually there in one form or another, they did separate sets last year for the public  (remember seeing both Goddard and Alexis having sets on the lineup) and i know they did the Prince tribute, just a shame they only played a set as Hot Chip in  one of the staff only areas last year. Fingers crossed for a full set from them somewhere for everyone this year ( i missed them in 2015 :()

Was a really good night. There was probably not even 200 people there. It was ace listening to the stripped back and bare songs. I have never been to a gig before where the crowd sat in silence during the songs.

Fair play to Alexis as he must be doing this little tour for love rather than money.

He also played a new and unreleased Hot Chip tune. It sounded like FPI project, which bodes well.