Hot Chip warm up gig Birmingham 20th Feb

hurdy

Can only echo what others have said, was probably my favourite ever set I've seen in my 5 glastonbury's the atmosphere was incredible, what a party.

I took a bit of a chance as I was with two Glasto first timers who only knew a little bit about Hot Chip but I'd been on their case since the lineup came out that it'd be the place to be on the Friday night, they both haven't stopped talking about it since.

When they did dancing in the dark at the end..... Blew me away. Deffo won't be forgetting that in a hurry.

Caribou were very good beforehand as well, Can't Do without you has been my favourite song this year.

About as good as it gets them two sets for me. .

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad it went down as well with you guys as it did for me and my friends. Brought 2 along with no real idea of who  Hot Chip were bar a few songs and they both sighted it as a highlight. The whole of Friday this year, despite the drizzle intermission, was fabulous.

Bit late to the party but but fuck yeah. I knew they'd deliver and bloody hell did they. My boyfriend is is a casual fan at best but we both bloody loved it. Almost set of the weekend debut I think Funkadelic just pips at. A stellar year once more for West Holts.

Also I'd forgotten the All my Friends bit until this thread! Class.

So pleased I'm seeing them again IN Brixton with a bit more energy in the limbs to dance my arse off. Great crowd and atmosphere at Glastonbury though which won't be replicated in London. Wish they were playing on a Friday!

I'll always regret not seeing LCD Soundsystem. They'll reform one day I'm sure.

aye i only started to realise just how good they were right at the end of their lifespan, and by then it was too late. would hope that they'd reform but if they do i think it'll more than likely be for one or two shows (aka impossible to get tickets) rather than a full reformation

Not gonna lie, I thought their 2010 set was better. I also left after I Feel Better because I'd heard pretty much everything I was going/wanted to and it seems like I made a good choice. It was still a good show though.

The one guy with flag in front of me that turned into a 5 people family reunion didn't help things.

Can't disagree with you there. I saw them play with Hot Chip on their double headliner tour. Put it this way, they blew *Hot Chip* out of the water.

That tour was fucking magic. They did a combined club night afterwards under the name "LCD ALL STARS" . I managed to grab a setlist, but I was far too pissed to ask LCD to sign it, so I made do with waving it about drunkenly. Probably one of my biggest regrets. :(

Edited by zero000

Not gonna lie, I thought their 2010 set was better. I also left after I Feel Better because I'd heard pretty much everything I was going/wanted to and it seems like I made a good choice. It was still a good show though.

The one guy with flag in front of me that turned into a 5 people family reunion didn't help things.

At the beginning of the set, we moved a couple of times to try to shake off 'talkers', but then there was a section where Hot Chip slowed it down a little, for a few tunes, and then brought it back up.

I thought that seemed to deal with the problem, as it came back up, the chatterers seemed to have either buggered off, or got into it. I thought that maybe there were a few there who were there because they couldn't quite decide what to do, and the slow bit got rid of them! From about a third to halfway into the set, it was loads better, and really did turn into one big party.

At the beginning of the set, we moved a couple of times to try to shake off 'talkers', but then there was a section where Hot Chip slowed it down a little, for a few tunes, and then brought it back up.

I thought that seemed to deal with the problem, as it came back up, the chatterers seemed to have either buggered off, or got into it. I thought that maybe there were a few there who were there because they couldn't quite decide what to do, and the slow bit got rid of them! From about a third to halfway into the set, it was loads better, and really did turn into one big party.

It was so rammed where we were that it didn't feel worth the effort moving. The oddest thing is that occasionally one of them would stop talking, have a cheer and a 30 second dance and then get back into their get together. I wasn't too bothered as I was singing and dancing, but I could have slapped them when they talked all the way through Flutes. I said something passively aggressively, but clearly not loud enough for them to hear.

I'll always regret not seeing LCD Soundsystem. They'll reform one day I'm sure.

aye i only started to realise just how good they were right at the end of their lifespan, and by then it was too late. would hope that they'd reform but if they do i think it'll more than likely be for one or two shows (aka impossible to get tickets) rather than a full reformation

Join the club. I passed up the opportunity of seeing them headline the tent at Reading and got off with a girl at the silent disco instead.

Oh, the teenage humiliation.

I'm still on a buzz from their set. Don't think any gig has had such a lasting effect on me. I keep feeling and hearing the atmosphere during I Feel Better.

Also because I'm a numpty if anyone knows about 2 spare tickets for their Manchester gig please let me know!

Edited by The60ftOctopus

As a casual fan I watched Hot Chip largely as a result of all the love for them on here. Totally totally won around, Need You Now was probably my favourite moment of the entire weekend. Great atmosphere where I was standing nearish the front to the right of the stage. If you were part of the group that adopted me for the duration of the set, thank you! Couldn't have have had more fun or been looked after better. I found the crowd for Caribou on the otherhand really disinterested which killed the buzz a little for me.

Looking to book tickets for Brixton this October if I can persuade people... Proper Hot Chip fan girl now :)

They'll be playing high up the bill on the main stage at Electric Picnic, possibly even headlining the Friday or Saturday night, and if it's anything like Glasto it will be immense.

That set on the Friday night is just about as euproric as I've ever been at Glasto. Brilliant party atmosphere. They really know how to play to a crowd

Like a dickhead, I did not bother to get tickets when I could have for the upcoming Manchester gig. This was due to me seeing them at Gorilla and knew I would be watching them at Glasto. It is now fair to say that I regret that decision and if anybody has any spares then I would more than willingly take them.