Green Man Festival 2015

5co77ie

Fair point, didn't realise how big they were, thought they were really quite niche. In Manchester they last played the Apollo, which is bigger than St Vincent or Hot Chip's venues (Hot Chip are playing a smaller venue deliberately, but at the peak of their powers, the biggest venue I saw them at was the Academy, which is smaller, and that was a co-headline show with LCD Soundsystem). Their success has passed me by, I thought they were quite niche, personally I don't find them particularly interesting.

Also, just to be a pedant; they haven't played Wembley, it was supposed to be in a few weeks, but it's cancelled.

Just to be a pedant, the Hot Chip/LCD gig was at the Apollo, not the Academy.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to be a pedant, the Hot Chip/LCD gig was at the Apollo, not the Academy.

Was it? I remember it as Academy 1, but it appears I'm wrong, this is very vexing, my memory is failing me.

Really loving the Viet Cong album at the moment, this line-up is too good, it may possibly be the best line-up for anything ever.

Green Man twitter account is now following Jesus and Mary Chain and Slowdive.

Could be nothing, but they don't seem to follow loads of bands.

Saw JAMC and Slowdive on their tours last year, JAMC were good, Slowdive were something else, I'd be way up for another round of that.

Are Slowdive about on a bar with Slint? Cult fan base but not one for the main stage?

JAMC would headline . Don't see them performing Psychocandy any less of a draw than Deserter Songs. Don't see a situation where they play before Hot Chip, St Vincent or another on a par with those.

I saw them a few years ago at Connect and they were on before the Beastie Boys, billed 2nd to Blur at Primavera 2013...I'm starting to think they might cost too much!

If you like The Flaming Lips, Beta Band, Coral, Beach Boys, Zombies, Syd Barrett then there is a good chance you'll love them.

Classed as Britpop, but not that much like those bands. They had a bit of the giddy, zany Supergrass thing but now people would probably lump them in with 'psych'.

Like a lot of bands, the best of is a sensible place to start. It's called Songbook and is all the singles from the debut in 1996 to 2004, when commercially they started to trail off. I reckon there will be a few on there that are familiar.

I think the consensus is that Radiator (1997) is the most consistent album. The latter ones introduced more electronics into the songs, and were solid enough albums but lacked killer singles that feature of Songbook.

If you just want a couple of songs by way of introduction, I'd probably go with Something For The Weekend or Juxtaposed With You. But ask on another day and I might give another 2 like.

They were never much of a 'greatest hits set' type of band, so this intro might not serve too well for watching them, but it's a good basis for giving them a go I reckon.

If you like The Flaming Lips, Beta Band, Coral, Beach Boys, Zombies, Syd Barrett then there is a good chance you'll love them.

Classed as Britpop, but not that much like those bands. They had a bit of the giddy, zany Supergrass thing but now people would probably lump them in with 'psych'.

Thanks, never listened to them because I thought they were Britpop, which I don't have much time for, I really love The Flaming Lips, Beach Boys and The Beta Band, so I can see myself being into them if that's the sort of vein they're in. Does seem very certain they're our last headliner, doesn't it? Although, as a newbie I have to act what the crack is with the Thursday night act, are they main stage? Are they a headliner?

I've not been before either but think that the Thursday is the Far Out stage only, which is a tent. 2 nights at Brixton and Albert Hall, and being Welsh, I'd say they're defo for the Saturday.

I don't know how many arrive on the Thur though, seems pretty risky though.

Jimi Goodwin and The Waterboys played Thurs last year, so not probably looking at anyone that big. Patti Smith and Money the year before, so no shortage of quality.

Would've thought Patti Smith could easily outright headline, I'll be interested to see who they get to do it this year. If it's somebody already announced, I'm hoping for Goat or Mew, so I don't have to worry about them clashing with a main stage headliner.

Another great announcement, Slowdive and Emmy The Great are the main events for me, very pleased with both of those. I think my brother will love seeing Public Service Broadcasting, I've never seen Television live so that's exciting, everybody's going mental about this Natalie Prass album so I'll have to give that a listen. The 2 Bears are always great fun, and Marika Hackman has been growing on me a lot recently. Time for me to start down my journey of getting into the Super Furry Animals! Really, there's too many good acts, it's not fair on the other festivals.