Green Man Festival 2015

5co77ie

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Modest Mouse as headliner number 3, could we get behind that? Just been musing this afternoon why they seem to have only been booked for one fest so far, thought it was weird they didn't pop up at R&L, so either Latitude or Green Man must have them? Out of the two, Green Man are the one that didn't get left in the lurch by them the other year, and the one they're the right size to headline. What say you, hive mind?

I don't think they are big enough to headline any more. Too long between records. They pulled a show at Academy 2 last summer to finish the album. I reckon they could sub, but generally the headliners are capable of playing Albert Hall in Manchester, and I don't see Modest Mouse managing that. Could well be wrong, but that is my instinct.

I don't think they are big enough to headline any more. Too long between records. They pulled a show at Academy 2 last summer to finish the album. I reckon they could sub, but generally the headliners are capable of playing Albert Hall in Manchester, and I don't see Modest Mouse managing that. Could well be wrong, but that is my instinct.

I had tickets for that, the w*nkers. That was 2 years ago and they still haven't made that album, it's been 8 years since We Were Dead.

I assume you're using Albert Hall as a benchmark for headliner size because of St Vincent playing her last Manchester show there, but I don't think she sold it out (or at least, if she did, it was very down to the wire as I bought a ticket 2 weeks prior to the show). Modest Mouse sold out Academy 2 pretty quickly, and Hot Chip are playing the even smaller Gorilla. Modest Mouse being a live rarity would also count to them being headliners, in my mind. They've got the chops to pull it off, and they're a good fit for the festival.

Really want to see Modest Mouse this year, they pissed me off with their cancellations in 2013, and I pissed myself off by missing them at Leeds in 2010 because none of us could afford a guide and I was too drunk to keep track of what was happening.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

I had tickets for that, the w*nkers. That was 2 years ago and they still haven't made that album, it's been 8 years since We Were Dead.

I assume you're using Albert Hall as a benchmark for headliner size because of St Vincent playing her last Manchester show there, but I don't think she sold it out (or at least, if she did, it was very down to the wire as I bought a ticket 2 weeks prior to the show). Modest Mouse sold out Academy 2 pretty quickly, and Hot Chip are playing the even smaller Gorilla. Modest Mouse being a live rarity would also count to them being headliners, in my mind. They've got the chops to pull it off, and they're a good fit for the festival.

Really want to see Modest Mouse this year, they pissed me off with their cancellations in 2013, and I pissed myself off by missing them at Leeds in 2010 because none of us could afford a guide and I was too drunk to keep track of what was happening.

It's a fair point you make about people being desperate to see them. I'd have no qualms with it, they were brilliant at Glasto in 2007.

My view on Albert Hall wasn't solely based on St Vincent playing there. Calexico are too and aren't headlining, Neutral Milk Hotel did 2 nights there last summer and Beirut did 1.

Hot Chip's Gorilla show is a warm up/road testing new material affair though, not theim at full tilt. They took the same placing at 6music Fest as The Charlatans.

Incidently, to test my 'Albert Hall' theory, it is where Laura Marling is playing, who could well end up taking the Saturday spot.

I'm not saying I'm definitely correct, just outlining it was based on more than that St Vincent show. Which, I'm sure you'll agree, was brilliant.

Maybe they only go on sale once they split the days out?

I know the Fri/Sun headliners are announced, but there is nothing else and they issue a press release with full day/stage splits before the festival, so maybe they go on sale to punters then? Maybe only if it hasn't sold out also?

As you can tell, I don't actually know.

I don't know that Rodrigo Y Gabriela would headline, I reckon they're about on the same level as Goat. Could be wrong, but I don't think they're anywhere near the level of Hot Chip and St Vincent.

They've played Wembley Arena in the last year: Rodrgio would be headlining if they played.

Edited by zahidf

They've played Wembley Arena in the last year: Rodrgio would be headlining if they played.

Fair point, didn't realise how big they were, thought they were really quite niche. In Manchester they last played the Apollo, which is bigger than St Vincent or Hot Chip's venues (Hot Chip are playing a smaller venue deliberately, but at the peak of their powers, the biggest venue I saw them at was the Academy, which is smaller, and that was a co-headline show with LCD Soundsystem). Their success has passed me by, I thought they were quite niche, personally I don't find them particularly interesting.

Also, just to be a pedant; they haven't played Wembley, it was supposed to be in a few weeks, but it's cancelled.

Extra Super Furries dates added if that is anyone's bag.

Rodrigo y Gabriela would be more of a 'traditional' Green Man headliner. Would make sense. Not my cup of tea though.

Jesus and Mary Chain have been doing the rounds with Psychocandy, could be a similar Saturday headliner to Mercury Rev with Deserter Songs.