25 and never been to a festival

JamesG-1989

I've recently turned 26, but I've been to a lot of fests so can't really say I'm in the same boat. They're great fun though.

I'd probably advise avoiding the massive commercial ones (Reading, V, TITP) as they tend to attract mainly 16-19 yr olds and are a bit more annoying atmospheres crowd wise. In terms of which to go to, I'd recommend just looking at small/medium sized ones nearish you that you like the lineup for. While most fests are about more than just music, it's definitely the main attraction and appeal, and impacts the crowd heavily.

Do you go to a lot of gigs?

No I don't go to gigs that much, not because I don't want to, I just help look after my disabled brother and I can never seem to get the time off work either haha. I went to see Pearl Jam last year and Augustines but they are the only two gigs I went to. But this year I really wanted to make the effort and go to a music festival. Probably Leeds.

Thanks for your replies as well

Disagree with Kaos. My first fest was Reading 2001, I was 29. It was like a whole new world had opened up in front of me. Age aint nothin but a number brother. Theres loads of crumblies at festivals. You are as old as you feel!

My first fest was Reading when I was 18, but I went 2 years ago and really disliked the feel and vibe of it. Maybe it's that I've been spoiled by smaller fests, but the atmosphere there pissed me off at times.

Didn't help that I got a bottle of piss thrown over me in the crowd.

I guess it depends on your circumstances and tastes as to which one would be best, in the large vs small argument both sides have pro and cons. People will experience the same festival differently, you could get unlucky and have a bad experience (tent robbed or the aforementioned piss being thrown) and that could put you off a particular type.

My first was Glasto and I did three of those, a T, an IOW and twelve Readings before I did a 'small' festival (Truck and Boardmasters) two years ago. I never felt like I was too old for Reading (except when looking at the line-up) or didn't like the atmosphere, although I've always been with large groups of friends to distract from it. Going to smaller, more personal festivals was great and I will continue to do so, but it's not like I'm done with Reading.

I'd say take the plunge at one that you like the line-up for (always helps), go into it with an open mind but then use your experiences to judge what to go for next. Until you know what you like and dislike about festivals it's hard to pick one that will be likely to suit you, you gotta take the plunge sometime!

Edited by mrtourette

I am with mrtourette, just go for something you like the line up of, for your first. At least then, you know you should like the acts even if you don't like other aspects.

Reading/Leeds/TiTP etc. are really not as bad as most make out, you can get twats piss throwing and that at any festival but if you not a crowd person maybe something smaller but might be suited to you.

Then when you get back, you can decide what you like/didn't like about it, maybe fancied more nightlife/stuff to do what wasn't the bands on the main stages or if it was a bigger fest maybe you didn't like the crowds to base your decision for next year on.

Be aware there are music festivals, of all shapes and sizes, and then Glastonbury (if a league of its own).

I enjoy a mix of small fests (about 2,000 people) right up to the big ones.

You might want to dip your toe in the water of some smaller, closer to home fests, to start. Every one is a learning curve in terms of what equipment to take and how to pace yourself.