Howard Marks

dirtymookie

I went to see him in a theatre in Birmingham, which allowed you to bring your drinks into the theatre itself. I'm not too sure if they approved of the amount of drugs that were being passed around though. When he came on stage a huge plume of marijuana smoke went up in the auditorium, in what was a non smoking venue. He is worth listening to. Once.

Read his book. Interesting enough in parts. Some drugs dealer who smokes a lot of weed? What are his shows about?

I went to see him in Stockport a few years ago and did not really enjoy his show. He spent more time talking about why manufacturers sell you impure and watered down tobacco which messes you up than anything else. He also spent more time trying to sell his then upcoming book. There were not really any stories about his past and we all came away pretty disappointed.

I do wish him all the best in his battle ahead. Have just had one of my best friends die due to bowel cancer which spread to his lungs and liver, he was only 35 as well. If it is inoperable then I do not think Howard will be able to play anywhere really. My mate was diagnosed on boxing day and passed away on 15th Jan. The speed at which it took over was flabbergasting and it was a horrid way to go.

I went to see him in Stockport a few years ago and did not really enjoy his show. He spent more time talking about why manufacturers sell you impure and watered down tobacco which messes you up than anything else. He also spent more time trying to sell his then upcoming book. There were not really any stories about his past and we all came away pretty disappointed.

I do wish him all the best in his battle ahead. Have just had one of my best friends die due to bowel cancer which spread to his lungs and liver, he was only 35 as well. If it is inoperable then I do not think Howard will be able to play anywhere really. My mate was diagnosed on boxing day and passed away on 15th Jan. The speed at which it took over was flabbergasting and it was a horrid way to go.

Shit sorry to hear that!

Hope Howard can get out and do a few shows before he heads off to the big smoke in the sky.

Read his book. Interesting enough in parts. Some drugs dealer who smokes a lot of weed? What are his shows about?

Massively variable depending on what kind of mood he's in and whether he's got anything to promote.

Saw him on the Avalon Stage in 2004 and he was very entertaining - just telling stories about the old days and cracking jokes. Someone I know saw him at Glastonbury a couple festivals later and said he was spent the whole time banging on about his latest project in a very boring way.

Saw him years back at the Neptune (now Epstein) theatre, was very entertaining and funny. Included a q&a, met him after and he seemed genuinely baffled but grateful that people were taking their time out to talk to him.

He's got a show lined up at the London forum apparently so fingers crossed he'll make one last appearance.

It's very sad news, one of my highlights last year was him introducing Alabama 3 at the glade with a story about a mermaid.

Me too. Followed by an awesome opening set from Alabama 3 (well, Kaiser Chiefs had officially opened G2014, but we left after 3 songs *bored* and headed to the Glade - so glad we did!!)

• 3 months later...

It's definitely one for a Sunday morning. I've caught him a couple of times, once was reading a chapter from the book (with ad-libs) and the other was spinning a yarn or two. I wouldn't go out of my way to watch him in the middle of the afternoon, but as a morning set while you're having some breakfast and easing yourself into the day he's very entertaining. Hoping to catch him again this year, sure he'll turn up somewhere.

Always wanted to go see him at Glasto.. but never have

Went to watch him at the Anson Rooms in Bristol in 2003 and it was quality! He read bits from his book and told a few stories.. was all fairly unstructured, but he was very charismatic and funny. The Q+A at the end was mint too.

Obvious the whole place was pretty thick with ganj smoke throughout his gig - it was very odd to see even back then.

Saying that - who remembers Cypress Hill on the Pyramid Stage? There was a fair old collection of tokers in the crowd that day...

• 5 weeks later...