Pop up motel, any experience?

Lockley123

Hi has anyone stayed at the pop up motel? We are thinking of booking just a tent pitch, we are getting on so are happy to pay a bit extra for a bit of peace at night and showers and loos. Anyone been there? How long does it take to walk from there to centre eg pyramid stage? Is it quiet at night? Is it worth the money? Thanks

Note this is a 2013 map but it should be in that rough location
you cant walk though Gate D and use that track at gate 4 { heading east } as its a Crew only area - so you need to go to the left for the Pyramid stage and to the right for the Other Stage.
Walking times can be affected by the weather and the time of the walk - I know they claim ten minuets to gate D although unless your a marathon runner I would take that with a pinch of salt.

2014v1.jpg

We stayed at ZooLoos last year which is right next door to the Pop Up Hotel. Location wise it didn't really bother us, the path usually used (marked as the white route on the map) was closed so we were sent through the car park but the 10 or so minute walk to the gate was definitely off set by the quiet nights sleep we managed to get :)

Would definitely book again this year but the prices have gone up making it too costly for our group of two.

Hope that helps

We stayed at ZooLoos last year which is right next door to the Pop Up Hotel. Location wise it didn't really bother us, the path usually used (marked as the white route on the map) was closed so we were sent through the car park but the 10 or so minute walk to the gate was definitely off set by the quiet nights sleep we managed to get :)

Not sure what you mean by "the path usually used" with regards to White Route - the colour designated routes are intended for vehicle access and often carry some pretty heavy duty farm machinery that you don't want sharing the road with pedestrians. If you've previously seen White Route open to foot traffic, then that was probably a mistake.

Not sure what you mean by "the path usually used" with regards to White Route - the colour designated routes are intended for vehicle access and often carry some pretty heavy duty farm machinery that you don't want sharing the road with pedestrians. If you've previously seen White Route open to foot traffic, then that was probably a mistake.

In 2013 there was a track that was open that directly connected the entrance to ZooLoos/Pop Up Motel to the gate which looked to be exactly where the white route is marked on the map. This was closed this year but one night security let us through so can say with confidence where it runs.

In 2013 there was a track that was open that directly connected the entrance to ZooLoos/Pop Up Motel to the gate which looked to be exactly where the white route is marked on the map. This was closed this year but one night security let us through so can say with confidence where it runs.

To be honest I can't be sure about specific years as there is always bits and pieces that change and there's always inconsistencies in the way things are implemented / enforced compared to the plans (and to be blunt, from one set of marshalls/stewards/security compared to the next) - but I certainly wouldn't rely on that path being open and I really doubt it should have been even in 2013.

To be honest I can't be sure about specific years as there is always bits and pieces that change and there's always inconsistencies in the way things are implemented / enforced compared to the plans (and to be blunt, from one set of marshalls/stewards/security compared to the next) - but I certainly wouldn't rely on that path being open and I really doubt it should have been even in 2013.

I know they were expecting that route to be open in 2014...

Any how, the walk through the car park really isn't that bad anyway.

I think the route OBface is talking about is the railway track. It was closed off in 2014 - stewards sitting at the entrance to stop people - but was open in 2013 according to friends who stayed at Popup Hotel. No traffic on this route. Whether it will be open this year is anyone's guess.

By the way, to answer the original question - it can easily take 45 minutes from the Popup Motel to the pyramid stage. It's an easy enough walk, but a bit lengthy at the end of the night when you're tired.

Yes, very quiet at night. Plenty of loos and showers were usually available. The car park is the next field over, so easy to get your stuff from car to tent.

I think the route OBface is talking about is the railway track. It was closed off in 2014 - stewards sitting at the entrance to stop people - but was open in 2013 according to friends who stayed at Popup Hotel. No traffic on this route. Whether it will be open this year is anyone's guess.

It is! I think they are hoping for it be open again for 2015.

Your friends left out that between Gate D and where the Old railway track starts ' within the festival site ' that track is a Crew access only area.
middle image is from 2011 and shows various crew campsites being set up so unless a person has a GFL Crew wristband they will not be able to walk between the red and blue dots.
bottom image is from 2013 and that gate you can see is where the blue dot is in the above image.
The WBC and other companies have been using that area since 2010 and seeing how much infrastructure has been built into that area its highly likely it will be in use as a Crew area this year as well.
people who have camped in Paines Ground { where the crew camp is } will know that they have to walk a wide arc to reach the start of the Old railway track { within the festival site } -the top image shows people walking around the Crew area { in 2011 } Paines Ground is on the left.
yes I know its annoying but that used to be the area that flooded so it was decided by GFL to make it into a Crew site.

2011-wbc-32.jpg

2011-camp-WBC-2.jpg

2013-wbc-74.jpg

To be honest the photos don't bear any resemblence to the path I was referring to.

The start definitely didn't go through any crew area (we literally walked past it everytime we entered the site) and there wasn't any infrastructure around it either. Just a fairly short lane, you could pretty much see from one end to the other.

The mystery continues...

To be honest the photos don't bear any resemblence to the path I was referring to.

The start definitely didn't go through any crew area (we literally walked past it everytime we entered the site) and there wasn't any infrastructure around it either. Just a fairly short lane, you could pretty much see from one end to the other.

The mystery continues...

there is no mystery as I know that once you enter via gate D you cant walk straight along the old railway track as that is though a Crew Area
there is stewards who are there to check people wrist bands - you can walk left or right ' you just cant walk straight towards the cow Barns '
I quote ' Here we have Paines Ground which is actually the field which I often used to park my car in before the site was extended to bring this field inside the fence for the first time in 2007. It is immediately accessible from Gate D so it’s the most convenient place to stop for those arriving by car and parking in the majority of the Western Car Parks. The bottom of this field used to be prone to flooding but the affected area is largely cordoned off for use as crew camping and the public area nowadays only represents a relatively thin strip of the field running along the western fenceline.
this is a better map showing the crew areas and you can see its clearly marked as a crew area { at Paines Ground }
now I don't know where you were walking but seeing they have stewards and security at each end you would have to be dead lucky to get though.
by the way you cant see along the path from one side to the other { due to the Cow Barns in the way }
you may have walked down Bushy ground { which is the image } - the top of Bushy Ground is fenced off as that track has lots of vehicle movements hence why they cant have everyone using it.

2013-wbc-88.jpg

2011-overlay.jpg

Hi glasto-worker

I think we are talking at cross purposes here.

The track OBFace and I are talking about is not inside the festival, but outside. When you exit through gate D there is the continuation of the old railway track that goes away from the festival across to a small road close to the Pop Up Motel etc.

It is this track which was open in 2013 and closed in 2014.

I agree with you that the cannot walk along the railway track once you enter through gate D.

Hi glasto-worker

I think we are talking at cross purposes here.

The track OBFace and I are talking about is not inside the festival, but outside. When you exit through gate D there is the continuation of the old railway track that goes away from the festival across to a small road close to the Pop Up Motel etc.

It is this track which was open in 2013 and closed in 2014.

I agree with you that the cannot walk along the railway track once you enter through gate D.

Yes the bit of track I'm talking about is outside of the festival. Thanks for clarifying elias.

Hey!

In 2013, I was lucky enough to stay in a motorhome on Ashcombe Farm with my parents after staying in a camper van (in East) since 2009.

At 21 and fairly fit, I absolutely hated the walk from the farm into the festival each day and didn't think that it was worth it.

Realistically, it took around 45 mins - 1 hour to walk to the gate, get through it and then to the pyramid stage. The Pop UP Hotel IS slightly nearer though.

We returned to the camper van field in 2014 as we much preferred this.

Adele x

Hey!

In 2013, I was lucky enough to stay in a motorhome on Ashcombe Farm with my parents after staying in a camper van (in East) since 2009.

At 21 and fairly fit, I absolutely hated the walk from the farm into the festival each day and didn't think that it was worth it.

Realistically, it took around 45 mins - 1 hour to walk to the gate, get through it and then to the pyramid stage. The Pop UP Hotel IS slightly nearer though.

We returned to the camper van field in 2014 as we much preferred this.

Adele x

We parked at Ashcombe last year, struggle to see how it took you 45 minutes to get to gate D! We stayed bang next door to the Pop Up Motel and it took us 45 minutes to get from Shangri La to our tent each night which is the furthest possible point in the festival.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if we can come and go from the car park as we please, I've not been down that part of the country since I was youngster so was thinking maybe on the thursday of heading into glastonbury itself to have a look around, also thinking about if I need to stock up on supplies before leaving or if I can do a bit of shopping at the same time

• 4 weeks later...