The Charlatans

DGrant261

Apologies if they already have a thread on here. New album is getting very good reviews and after having done T and a few others last year I think they're in with a shout for Glasto this year. I fancy them in the slot the Manics had last year (3rd on other), just wondering what you guys think?

Edited by DGrant261

The new album is ok. After a passionate love affair with the Charlatans in the early and mid nineties it seems my tastes have moved on. But fair play to them for constantly trying new things and trying to evolve.

The eponymous album and Telling Stories will always remain faves of mine and I am looking forward to seeing them in Leeds.

Seems strange though how their crowds have dwindled over the years. I remember seeing them fill the MEN arena during the mid nineties. They were comparable to James at one point yet James seem to have kept their crowd.

I'm not a fan really but my mate made me listen to a few albums and telling stories is my favourite of theirs

Seems like yesterday it came out. I remember Rob Collins dying during the recording and thinking they would call it a day.

One to another is a beast of a tune.

Edited by eastynh

This lot headlined TITP one year I was there in the 1990s. Looking back, what a line up that was, a roster that grabs you by the lapels and screams 1997 right in your face:

Saturday 12 July

The Charlatans

Kula Shaker

Dodgy

Reef

G.U.N.

The Divine Comedy

Republica

Apollo 440

Sunday 13 July

Paul Weller

Ocean Colour Scene

Texas

Bush

Echobelly

Bjorn Again

Fun Lovin' Criminals

Neneh Cherry

The Sirenes

This lot headlined TITP one year I was there in the 1990s. Looking back, what a line up that was, a roster that grabs you by the lapels and screams 1997 right in your face:

Saturday 12 July

The Charlatans

Kula Shaker

Dodgy

Reef

G.U.N.

The Divine Comedy

Republica

Apollo 440

Sunday 13 July

Paul Weller

Ocean Colour Scene

Texas

Bush

Echobelly

Bjorn Again

Fun Lovin' Criminals

Neneh Cherry

The Sirenes

Out of that lot, I'd watch divine comedy and Paul weller. Neneh cherry and charlatans at a push. The rest would not interest me then or now

I haven't listened to a Charlatans album properly in years, but I'm massively tempted to try out this new album. Apart from the albums already mentioned, I absolutely love Us And Us Only and Wonderland as well. They've got a shitload of great songs, but I started with Tellin' Stories and the self titled album.

That little run they had between Tellin' Stories and Up At The Lake was a great set of albums.

They then changed their label and released a few duds in my opinion.

Fav album - tough call between Us and Us Only & Wonderland.

Tellin' Stories is a great album for the big hits but the other two are solid all the way through.

Tim Burgess played stuff from his solo album last year on The Park stage and was one of my favourite sets of the weekend - would love to see them headline that stage think new album would work well in that setting

Been a tough year for the band but great to see them come out of it with a positive outlook and new music.

Tellin Stories is their best.

Us & Us Only is a great album too.

Up At The Lake is also worth a mention.

They have some hit & miss albums but overall "The Charlies" are ace!..And still going after 2 band members sadly dying over the years.