Volunteering - advice!

Joshuwarr

So I'm volunteering at Glastonbury this year. I've been going as a regular punter since 2008 so certainly know what to expect with the festival, but I was wondering if any of you have any tips or advice for volunteers?

I'll be doing four six hour shifts (thursday to monday as far as I'm aware), which seems pretty easy. But I was wondering about the crew camping. Is it worth going for it or would y'all advise for me to go for the public camping to ensure I still get the full experience?

We also have the option to arrive any when from the Monday. The pros of early arrival seem to be that I'll avoid the big rush in and easier transport. However, the cons seem to be that I'll obviously be there for longer. That doesn't bother me, as I have access to showers apparently but being there for that long could really take it out of me.

So, any advice?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might vary a bit depending on who you work for, but as a general rule you don't officially have any choice over where to camp - workers are expected to camp in their relevant crew area. Some workers do camp in public areas, as the rule isn't enforced all that much but again this may vary by organisation.

Remember that there's a lot (hundreds) of groups supplying volunteer staff to the festival, and each may choose to handle things differently.

Obviously, how good/bad the crew camp site is will vary massively - some crew campsites are located well outside the fence, some of them are located bang in the middle of the main markets. Although the ones outside the fence usually have the advantage of being minutes away from the relevant crew car park.

Personally I'd say that in most cases it's better to stay in your crew campsite anyway for the extra facilities you'll have - again it varies massively by organisation but generally they won't be as cramped, will be restricted access so less issues with thieves (though this can still happen of course, most of them will have hot showers (with little or no queue), and some places may provide free/subsidised food and/or a subsidised bar.

Tips etc?

Remember that while you're on duty for 6 hours at a time, you do need to turn up sober and in condition to work for that so it does often affect what you do beforehand.

I'd say definitely arrive before gates open. Aside from anything else, Tuesday is a great chance to walk around the site when it's comparatively quiet. Plus arriving on site and setting up camp is much easier and more enjoyable when there's no crowds to contend with. The only decision for me this year is whether to arrive Monday or Tuesday.

So I'm volunteering at Glastonbury this year. I've been going as a regular punter since 2008 so certainly know what to expect with the festival, but I was wondering if any of you have any tips or advice for volunteers?

I'll be doing four six hour shifts (thursday to monday as far as I'm aware), which seems pretty easy. But I was wondering about the crew camping. Is it worth going for it or would y'all advise for me to go for the public camping to ensure I still get the full experience?

We also have the option to arrive any when from the Monday. The pros of early arrival seem to be that I'll avoid the big rush in and easier transport. However, the cons seem to be that I'll obviously be there for longer. That doesn't bother me, as I have access to showers apparently but being there for that long could really take it out of me.

So, any advice?

This will be my 26th year as a volunteer assuming I get a place that is
On average I work 36 hours although due to my long service I am allowed to pick which shifts I work.
You don't mention who you will be working for so this has to be a general reply ' as you may not have the choice with regards camping ' - it will all be in the terms and conditions which you should have read before applying .
If its Festaff who mainly work in WV their Campsite is above the Acoustic area so its a fair old tramp for them to get to their shifts each day.
Be warned that some volunteer Groups are far better organised than other Groups so if you are arriving on your own make sure you have the right paperwork as Security is tight and make certain you have the mobile number of a staff officer as that can solve many problems.
I used to drive there and even with the correct Crew Pass for my vehicle and myself some years were more tricky than other years - so much so that I now take the first Crew Coach down as that tends to have less hassle and a staff officer { who is already onsite } will latch on to a GFL Official and they will be waiting for the Coaches to arrive - that really cuts down on the red tape.
I would always camp within my Crew Campsite which has extra Security
where the Blue dot is { end of Old Railway track } you need a Crew pass to walk down that road { towards the red dot } but you need a photo pass to reach where the red dot is - certain Crew Camps are different as they will share facilities but we don't.
We get two meals per day and a subsidised bar { that remains open 24 hour although the bar itself will close at 4am } - rain or shine its really handy to have a large Marquee that is cool when its hot and more likely will keep us dry when its wet - I can walk in at any time no matter how late and there will be people I know - sure they may all be talking a load of bollocks but its handy to have - there is free tea/coffee and soft drinks - it all adds up.
The shots of the showers don't show them all as there is other showers behind that group and all the toilets are flushing toilets.
The Campsite is light up and does have paths so your not falling over tents and the tents are spread out.
If you are there on the Monday look out for the Bread and Roses as that will be open Sunday / Monday / Tuesday - 5pm to 2am.
There will always be times that shifts may clash - its the price you pay to get in for free.

2011-camp-WBC-2.jpg

2010-wbc-28.jpg

2010-wbc-42.jpg

I definitely agree with arriving early. Easy to get in, set up camp and time to explore. If you do arrive early, though, you will need to camp in your crew area, so if you want to camp closer to the action, you'll need to pack up and move on the Wednesday. I considered that last year, but decided it wasn't worth the effort. It was worth the extra walk, just to have my gear close to the showers, and to be right by the canteen tent for a cuppa in the morning. You can still use the crew facilities if you camp elsewhere, of course, but you'll have to make a special trip.

Do you know where your crew camp will be? If you let us know, there might be someone on here who knows what it's like. I was in Tom's field last year, up behind the medical centre, which wasn't too far from the main stage areas.

I definitely agree with arriving early. Easy to get in, set up camp and time to explore. If you do arrive early, though, you will need to camp in your crew area, so if you want to camp closer to the action, you'll need to pack up and move on the Wednesday. I considered that last year, but decided it wasn't worth the effort. It was worth the extra walk, just to have my gear close to the showers, and to be right by the canteen tent for a cuppa in the morning. You can still use the crew facilities if you camp elsewhere, of course, but you'll have to make a special trip.

Do you know where your crew camp will be? If you let us know, there might be someone on here who knows what it's like. I was in Tom's field last year, up behind the medical centre, which wasn't too far from the main stage areas.

Will indeed be in Tom's field :) Seems like an alright location, although quite the contrast in location to where I usually camp!

How do people generally find balancing the work time with the, lets say, "fun time"? Are you too tired from the work to enjoy your free time or does the partying in your free time make work really difficult ;)?

It depends, some people manage to go all night and then turn up for their shift at 6, presuming youre on earlies which new people often are. I cant do that though so the lastest we stay up friday to sunday is headliners.

Our festival is very different in that respect. Litterpicking is knackering so you might need a sleep before heading out again and when its hot thats difficult after noon.

Will indeed be in Tom's field :) Seems like an alright location, although quite the contrast in location to where I usually camp!

How do people generally find balancing the work time with the, lets say, "fun time"? Are you too tired from the work to enjoy your free time or does the partying in your free time make work really difficult ;)?

Tom's field is ok, bit of a climb at the end of the night, but everything's downhill in the morning!

I think as long as you're a wee bit sensible about your partying, you can get through the work. I guess if you're in Tom's field, you're doing litter picking or recycling? It can be tiring physically, but mentally fairly undemanding. I'd suggest waking up in time to have a cuppa before you go, take an energy drink and water with you, and head back to Tom's field for a shower, and maybe an extra nap, after your shift before you get on it again.

In other words, you need to factor in the shifts you're required to do when deciding whether to 'stay out a bit longer', but it's perfectly doable.

It is what it is and you have to manage your time / energy / fun / work balance yourself.

I've managed it for 6 years and have only got better at this by learning from the obvious mistakes.

Sometimes you just have to be responsible and go to bed at midnight in order to start work at 6am. sometimes you may not get to bed until 8am and have to work again at midday.

all my years have been different but water hydration, some sleep and the odd proper meal is essential.

i worked over 60 hours and saw over 30 acts in 2014, so it is possible to do both.

I'll only be doing four six hour shifts, which are all morning shifts apparently, so I won't be quiet as tired as someone working 60 hours! What hours would a morning shift normally be? My guess is its going to be 8am-2pm?

6am - 12noon I think... :)

I'll only be doing four six hour shifts, which are all morning shifts apparently, so I won't be quiet as tired as someone working 60 hours! What hours would a morning shift normally be? My guess is its going to be 8am-2pm?

Well if that is true your laughing.
A few years ago the WBC was working on a 24 hour shift pattern where the first shift was 6am to noon
- all the younger ones were offered it but no one wanted to do it so myself and a friend { the two oldest out of the volunteers } did the early shift.
What I would caution is ' Promises ' from someone who may not even be onsite when your working.
Shifts are normally not allocated until your onsite and many of the better shifts will be allocated to the old timers first .
As its your first time I am sorry but its best to expect that shifts may not be as claimed and if they end up as claimed then that's a bonus.
Note that different Organisation may use different procedures but its common sense that they dont tell people their shift months in advance.

I'm volunteering with Childreach :) I asked about shift work and got the response: "In terms of shifts, all your shifts will take place at the same time in the morning, when there arent many acts playing so you shouldnt miss too much."

Seems I'm getting it a little too easy!

This sounds similar to me last year. I got my spot through the 'Small Steps Project', and I was told the shift details when I applied, 6 am to 12 noon each day Friday to Monday. It is nice to know before you get there, but it's not the way it works for most volunteers.

Unrelated to above but does anyone know when Oxfam begin to accept applications for volunteers and what the window is like?

just fill out the form # and they will contact you #
assuming you have not been a volunteer with them before

Unrelated to above but does anyone know when Oxfam begin to accept applications for volunteers and what the window is like?

They keep saying "Early March".

Assuming nothing changes this year -

- There'll be a 1 week priority window for those who've volunteered with Oxfam before to claim their places.

- The "public" application date will probably be a few days after that windows closes, with the exact date announced a day or two ahead of time.

- An exact time may not get announced - it'll just be a matter of checking in with their website/twitter etc.

- Places are allocated first come first served (assuming you're not blacklisted and your references check out) and Glastonbury will probably fill up within the first couple hours of being open to the public.

Oxfam do require quite a lot of information from you - photo, references, emergency contacts, doctors details, etc so it if you're applying it will definitely help to have that stuff to hand ahead of time as it's basically first to submit the form get the place(s).

I have applied to Oasis Carnival as recommended through the Glastonbury website and I've received an email stating that they have received my application back in December. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything more about when they are likely to tell me whether or not my application has been successful?

As i have worked for Oxfam in the past at different festivals i will hopefully be able to use them as a fall back is this one doesn't pull through.

Thanks

I have applied to Oasis Carnival as recommended through the Glastonbury website and I've received an email stating that they have received my application back in December. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything more about when they are likely to tell me whether or not my application has been successful?

As i have worked for Oxfam in the past at different festivals i will hopefully be able to use them as a fall back is this one doesn't pull through.

Thanks

have a read at http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/146571-anyone-ever-worked-for-oasis-carnival-at-glasto/and send a PM to the people who have worked with them before.

What role are you doing, it sounds like recycling crew

Well after I sorted my deposit with the charity I had to fill in a form on the recycling crew website, so it seems so!

EDIT: Also, it would be great to know what you exactly have to do during those 6 hour shifts if anyone knows? Also, are there preferred areas to work and does the role vary dependent on where you're based?

Edited by Joshuwarr

Well after I sorted my deposit with the charity I had to fill in a form on the recycling crew website, so it seems so!

EDIT: Also, it would be great to know what you exactly have to do during those 6 hour shifts if anyone knows? Also, are there preferred areas to work and does the role vary dependent on where you're based?

Just going by the fact you've said you're doing all morning shifts during the weekend, I'd say you'll be doing litter picking rather than recycling, like I did last year. I met a couple of people who did recycling, and they said they were doing three 8-hour shifts, one during the festival and two after. (I could be wrong of course!)

If you are litter picking, you'll be assigned to a team, based in a particular area (last year I was part of the pyramid team, which was pretty good as it wasn't too far to walk for an early start). If your team finishes the area early, your team leader may get a radio message asking for help in other areas. Last year we helped in Silver Hayes, the Other field, The Glade and along the campsite footpaths.

It's tiring work, but fairly simple. You have three colour-coded bags, one for food and paper, one for plastic and tin cans, and one for non-recyclables. You do sweeps across the field as a team until it's clear.

Your first shift will probably be Friday morning, but you'll need to be there on Thursday, as there's usually a Health & Safety briefing Thursday evening, followed by a crew party in Tom's field.

If I could give one bit of advice it'd be this. Beware of half-full plastic bottles, they've almost certainly not got tizer in them!

Hope you get a dry one, much easier!

Hi Josh, out of curiousity are you with Childreach? I just got accepted for the same shift pattern with them