The Maccabees

simonsimondock

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i saw The Maccabees at Leeds 2010, having absolutely no interest in seeing them (waiting for The Cribs / Libertines / Arcade Fire following them) and they were fantastic. crowd went absolutely mental for them, and i've been a huge fan since (especially as Given To The Wild was just a brilliant album). would definitely welcome them on the lineup (high Other i'm guessing? or even JP headline or are they too big for that now?)

I always admired The Maccabees and 'Toothpaste Kisses' is one of my all time favourite songs, but it wasn't until they released Given To The Wild that I really clicked with them. It's an exceptional album and a real step-up musically.

I agree, subbing The Other Stage would be a perfect slot for them.

Edited by Harmonic Prospector

I don't really know much about the Maccabbees, but a band should be quite interesting if they name their band after a group of Jewish rebels, shouldn't they?

I think I saw them at Reading in 2012, but I didn't really pay attention to many bands who I saw apart from a select few.

They strike me as a strong JPT headliner.

I don't really know much about the Maccabbees, but a band should be quite interesting if they name their band after a group of Jewish rebels, shouldn't they?

I think I saw them at Reading in 2012, but I didn't really pay attention to many bands who I saw apart from a select few.

They strike me as a strong JPT headliner.

Supposedly they chose their name by picking a word at random from the Bible. Now I haven't read the Bible, but I'm guessing they could have had something more controversial.

Had heard good things so made sure I got to the Leeds Kasabian gig early. Thought they were poor to be honest, and the crowd couldn't have been less interested. Haven't bothered delving into their back catalogue as a result. Maybe it was just an off day

Had heard good things so made sure I got to the Leeds Kasabian gig early. Thought they were poor to be honest, and the crowd couldn't have been less interested. Haven't bothered delving into their back catalogue as a result. Maybe it was just an off day

From the response so far I reckon off day.

I saw the them in 2009 and again after Given to the wild was released at Ally Pally and i have to say that i'm a big fan, really looking forward to their latest , this is going to be a top festival for me if all my faves have new stuff out this year and could possibly be on the line up, fingers crossed :)

one of my favourite bands, very much expecting them to play a high Other stage slot or John Peel headliner. new single is dropping before the end of the month. orlando said in an interview that they're playing all the big festivals this summer so i'm gonna go with subbing at R&L too and possibly headlining Bestival

one of my favourite bands, very much expecting them to play a high Other stage slot or John Peel headliner. new single is dropping before the end of the month. orlando said in an interview that they're playing all the big festivals this summer so i'm gonna go with subbing at R&L too and possibly headlining Bestival

Hmm, doubt they'll be as high as subbing at R&L but I can definitely see them playing 3rd down.

The crowd at Kasabian in Glasgow really weren't bothered about them at all, a handful of people at most looked interested. The standing area was fairly quiet for them as well, quarter full at most.

Very different crowd these days though for Kasabian and Maccabees. I saw them support the Black Keys at the 02 and I've never seen a room so full, so far back for a support act.

I've seen the Maccabees god knows how many times since their debut album came about. They're great live and seem to be getting better with each album, something not many bands do.

Edited by Sketchead

I saw them supporting Kasabian and they were incredible, the very sparsley packed crowd on the other hand were rubbish, but the new songs all sounded great and on a par with the older stuff.

Yeah I've been thinking about this they're a really hard band to predict for Glastonbury. I think subbing the other stage on the Saturday day is a good shout but I'd really like to see them headlining it, or doing the Pyramid (A longshot). Regarding any other appearances I think there's a chance the might play 3rd on the bill at R&l or headline King Tuts at T, but if both these happen then there's a strong chance Glastonbury wont for them.

I overestimated where Bombay (A band of very similar stature) would play at Glasto last year, so that's changed my thinking regarding the Maccabees a bit, them having not done Glasto for a while makes it a tricky one, but I'm going for subbing the other on the Saturday.