What happens at night?

caroleb

Hello all, we will be new to the festival this year and we are all super excited :-)

I was just wondering if, at night (past the hour of say 11pm) does everything go quiet? Or are people still performing on the main stages throughout the night? Just anticipating this as we would like to try and not miss too much, even if that means staying awake all night to fully immerse ourselves in the festival experience.

Thanks to all who answer x

Main stages shut down prior to or around about midnight but there's a corner with numerous venues that go on all night and a number of other places scattered around to find fun. So much to do and see, so little time to do it.

Bugger, I just lost my post.

OK, a short version is, it's never quiet. Search for 'clashfinder glastonbury 2014' and you'll see some of the things going on, and timings, just don't try to pack too much in and give yourself time to bimble round, seeing what's happening in that tent over there and this field here. Only tip I was given was to head up to the Park area (South West corner), head up to the huge Glastonbury letters without looking back and then turn round to see all the festival sprawled out in front of you. Most associate nightime with Arcadia and Shangri La dancing and shows but I've enjoyed fims, drinking, music, the underground piano bar, the crows nest and others late at night/early morning. Whilst I mainly see the music, I still agree with the oft-used phrase here of 'It's more than the music and headliners'. Enjoy.

In my experience, what happens at night totally sets Glastonbury apart from other festivals! So, yes, the big main stages will shut around midnight, as will the stalls in the greenfields and some of the market areas. But circus, comedy and dance tents go through til 2ish, Arcadia and Shangri-La are just getting going but between those two extremes there is masses of things to do ranging from the truly bizarre, bands on in hundreds of smaller tents, chilling at the stone circle or flagtopia, mingling in the Park, some late night food, hanging out around fires at your tent, walking and more walking again, chatting to random strangers/new friends, seriously there is something going on pretty much all night. The quietest time on site is around 7am when generally most are chilling out or sleeping before the madness starts again.

There's a plethora of different things you can attend.

If you still want to party with a large group of people, go to Arcadia. Often see dj sets by big acts like Disclosure, TEED, Friction, Hospitality records etc...

If you want to party in a clubby environment, go to block9 and NYC Downtown for themed clubs.

If you want a unique experience go to and see the wonders of Shangri La, check out some of the bars there too, they usually have a few DJs and are lots of fun.

Also a few big DJs perform at Beat Hotel, saw Jamie XX last year.

There's also the Heaven and Hell stages nearby Shangri La which is quite a fun rave thing to go to, big acts like Gorgon City and Annie Mac played last year even Aphex twin did a secret set there on the Sunday!

If you've had enough of music there's, comedy and caberet and the circus is open til late too.

There's also tons of bars and places to chill out at, some people go to Healing Fields, others to acoustic bars and some at The Park. There's honestly something for everyone.

Edited by deadpheasant

There's a strict curfew once the last act finishes on the Pyramid, and anyone found not in their tent after midinght is ejected from site by security.**

**may not be true

I went to a licence hearing for Glastonbury many years ago, where one of the old codgers on the council was arguing that everything should finish before midnight, as who wanted to stay up later than that. :wacko:

Check out this vid from 30 mins in for about 15 mins will give you a little flavour :)

Edit, perhaps watch the whole thing, get your mates together, share some brew and let the anticiation grip hold until bursting point in 5+ Months time. That's what happens to quite few of us here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmu3PM4UCLQ

Edited by whisty

The Emperors of the Night come out to play.

A fine collection of lunatics, misfits, desperados, and people who really ought to know better, do their thang.

It is a joyeous sight.

i do know im out i just dont know it lol ........... im the desperado lolol with a touch of lunacy hee hee and im ALWAYS doing my THANG man

Check out this vid from 30 mins in for about 15 mins will give you a little flavour :)

Edit, perhaps watch the whole thing, get your mates together, share some brew and let the anticiation grip hold until bursting point in 5+ Months time. That's what happens to quite few of us here.

Thanks Whisty - brilliant way to waste an hour or so at work and REALLY excited for 2015 now :)

Quiet time is about 5am- 9am if you need sleep. Earplugs helpful depending where you are camped if you need longer. I always want to stay out later but usually too knackered by about 1am!! Getting old:( and the naughty corner gets too busy these days! I do miss those campsite singalongs by the fire!!