Dalai Lama self-confirms

UEF

this'l get a massive crowd

i'l be there, I think the whole festival will be. It's one of those people which every goer will be asked if they saw

2013 - Did you see the rolling stones?

2014 - Did you see Dolly Parton?

2015 - Dalai Lama

I know he's not the same type of act, but you understand where i'm coming. At least I hope you do.

this'l get a massive crowd

i'l be there, I think the whole festival will be. It's one of those people which every goer will be asked if they saw

2013 - Did you see the rolling stones?

2014 - Did you see Dolly Parton?

2015 - Dalai Lama

I know he's not the same type of act, but you understand where i'm coming. At least I hope you do.

I dunno. Getting a photo of a celebrity is great and all but I'll probably be asleep on Sunday morning.

Discussing his life and the situation in Tibet: fascinating

Discussing the finer points of Vajrayāna: more challenging for a festival crowd

More challenging but probably more interesting. The problem with this is that thousands of people will turn up to say they were there and won't actually listen to a bloody word the great man says.

i'm genuinely surprised at the enthusiasm for this. i've no dount he's a nice chap with good intentions, but to me as an atheist, he's pretty irrelevant. i agree with Gonzo's point, above.

And herein lies the problem with closed-minded atheists...

i'm genuinely surprised at the enthusiasm for this. i've no dount he's a nice chap with good intentions, but to me as an atheist, he's pretty irrelevant. i agree with Gonzo's point, above.

I'd be more interested to hear what he's got to say than that smug idiot Dawkins.

I don't believe in any deity but I find people who feel the need to tell you constantly how much of an atheist they are to be incredibly annoying.

I'd be more interested to hear what he's got to say than that smug idiot Dawkins.

I don't believe in any deity but I find people who feel the need to tell you constantly how much of an atheist they are to be incredibly annoying.

you've got no argument from me there: i didn't mention Dawkins.

I am an athiest and will continue to believe that there is nothing there til I die when my first word shall be 'DOH!'

Seriously though I do not believe but enjoy listening to what people like the Dalai Lama say, not just the 'religious' stuff but the general life common sense stuff too.

If the Dalai Lama is there I shall be listening with interest and still have no doubt that it will be on the Pyramid first thing (11.30ish) on Sunday. The crowd will be like they were for the Ballet last year - silent.

Fatiyeti I think a fair few Glastonbury goers are interested in spirituality rather than religion and the Dalai Lama obviously speaks to that.

It isnt the same clearly but a few years ago if Nelson Mandela was going to speak would you not go along if you werent interested in politics or would you go anyway as it would be a once in a lifetime chance to see someone who has shaped history speak?

Edited by giantkatestacks

you've got no argument from me there: i didn't mention Dawkins.

Yeah I know, he was mentioned earlier. That comment wasn't directly aimed at you, your atheism was sort of connected to your point, even if I didn't agree with it. I meant the type of people who feel the need to tell me in their twitter bio that they're an 'antitheist.' As if they want me to swoon over their edginess.

But we're straying too far from the point. Back to the Dalai Lama! I may not follow his religion but I imagine he'd be fascinating to hear speak.

Edited by Winslow Leach

Fatiyeti I think a fair few Glastonbury goers are interested in spirituality rather than religion and the Dalai Lama obviously speaks to that.

Summed up quite nicely for me.

Bit of an odd one re: positioning, because I think the Pyramid would lose all sense of intimacy and there'd possibly be a lack of respect too. I hope not, but you never know.

On the other hand, I wouldn't want it to be in a place where realistically there'd be no chance of seeing (or hearing) the man.