Total Newbie

dbray220

Hi, me and my wife are total newbies to the festival scene. We got tickets for Glastonbury 2015, so we could tick it off our bucket list.

We haven't got a clue what to expect or what to do!!

Any info on when's best to travel down(coming from Yorkshire) best place to stay also anyother information would be gratefully recieved.

Like I said earlier totally new to all this :-)

Hi there,

I'm Paul. Just to let you know I am the same. Forst real festival I've ever been too and I'm 36.

I recently discovered the outdoor warehouse in parkgate rotherham and managed to get and 85ltr rucksack, tent, airbed amd a good quality fold up chair for under £55. Might be worth a trip out.

I booked with a gang of people who I only know 1 of so not particularly sure what my camping arrangements will be just yet but I want somewhere a bit quieter and flat.

Hi there,

I'm Paul. Just to let you know I am the same. Forst real festival I've ever been too and I'm 36.

I recently discovered the outdoor warehouse in parkgate rotherham and managed to get and 85ltr rucksack, tent, airbed amd a good quality fold up chair for under £55. Might be worth a trip out.

I booked with a gang of people who I only know 1 of so not particularly sure what my camping arrangements will be just yet but I want somewhere a bit quieter and flat.

Tort has sorted out camping at http://www.glastoearth.com/the-faq/faq-part-3
but its all down to the time factor as that will determine what areas are still available
As I work there I know that some of the favoured spots are well covered on the Tuesday when in fact there should not be any ticket holders tents - they are put up for friends of the crew - they try to stop it but it still goes on .
why I replied was your mention to # a bit quieter and flat # - now while you can work out what is a flat area you will never work out if its quieter as that all depends who is around you.
I personally would stay away from any flat area unless it was at the top of a hill as I have seen more wet years than dry years so I always make certain that I am not on low lying ground - sure the drainage has got better but it still happens -
You need to start at basics - where you arrive will determine at what side you camp at - its plain daft arriving one side and then trying to reach the other side - although I do see people shifting gear across not taking into account that there is thousands of people crossing their path which slows down the whole procedure - I always wonder if they get to their spot in time to put up any of the gear If I was arriving as a ticketholder the very first thing I would do ' is stick all my gear in a lock up tent ' so I end up just with my tent - walk to a field and bang it up and then go back for the rest.
I see some people shifting Enormous loads - well they try to but some don't get far and many will never reach their planned spot .
if I was arriving on the coach I would stick to the fields near Gate A - sure its further to reach the stages but its less of a walk back to the coach station.
I know that some have prime spots that they try to camp every year but at the end of the day its a field - I have had some great crew camps and there has been some that were not so great due to access problems - for reasons that no one can explain the crew camps have been going counterclockwise so I cant claim to have camped in every field but I have been in a fair few .
I just take what comes.
so decide where you are arriving be it by car or coach and start from there.

Remember the oft-said but true cliche that Glastonbury isn't all about music. There's so much to see and do and the best bits are often on the fringes. Be prepared to do a lot of walking (10 or 12 miles a day), so get comfortable walking shoes and go and explore.

Get up into the Greenfields. Walk up to the Stone Circle (and don't look back or turn round until you get to the top), sample the amazing food from all over the world. Allow some time for the Circus and Cabaret areas.

By the time you've done all that you might just find time to fit in a bit of music.

Good luck.

Glastoearth is a super site.

Last year me and mrs Mattyc were first timers at the age of 49.

My main recommendation is to avoid getting stuck at the main stages as there is so much else that is wonderful a GF.

Also, involve yourself in Efests - you will learn heaps and probably meet so fantastic new people as well.

hi - for first time festival goers Glastonbury can be a bit overwhelming so just make sure you feel as prepared as possible( although I suspect nothing will quite prepare you for this experience). Read the guides as linked above and be aware of the following:

• you may have to walk a long way from your car to get through the gate. If you bring a lot of stuff then a heavy duty trolley is helpful. If coming by coach then everything you might need you can also buy on site! There are cashpoints, medical services, shops and stalls etc.
  • If you choose to campervan or Worthy View / pre-erected camping then be aware that you will be "outside" the superfence and will have to come in and out the site. There may be steep hills involved!
  • comfy shoes/ sandals/ wellies and prepare for all weather and a lot of walking - boiling hot or wet and muddy or both.
  • once on site if camping inside the fence - that's it - you don't need to leave until you head home on monday
  • Arrive by weds if possible to get "orientated" before everything starts - Thursday is now much busier and more to do than in previous years
  • Make sure you see and sample as much as possible but you wont see everything. Don't just spend all your time by the main stages - explore! You wont really be able to " tick it off your bucket list" as it will be impossible to experience it all in one weekend!
  • There will be a lot of people - the main stages for headliners can get ridiculously crowded - so just head a bit further back if necessary.
  • The toilets aren't that bad really unless its straight after a main headliner! TravelJohns are ideal for in tent facilities when you cant face trek to the loo in the night or first thing!
  • Enjoy your experience :) next year will be my 17th time!

I would like to reiterate what Sedra said about taking a descent trolley or sack barrow,the carparks are the miles away and you will be dragging your stuff over farmland,it can take a couple of hours on a good day to get to camp but if you add in queues and rain you can double or even treble it,don't bother with the fold up ones they can't take the terrain and you see them strewn along the path towards the gate.

Waterproofs and a descent pair of waterproof boots even if it says it will be glorious sunshine all week.

And factor 30 sun cream of course.

Another thing to check out is http:///s/g2014/

You can spend the months leading up to the festival planning your itinerary with military precision

and then just pop it in one of the collection bins on your way in. :)

Definately this - we planned too much and duly did not do 70% of what was planned....................... a few 'must sees' are great but going with the flow is so much better.

In 2013 I forgot to even bring mine and last year it had turned to mush by the Friday anyway

Good fun filling them in though.

Only 36, are you sure Paul. Thought you looked good on Benidorm last night.

The Glastoearth/Tort guide is excellent I think.

My best advice to all newbies is, 'don't plan to do too much each day'. Some of my best Glasto times have been when I've just been wandering and stumbled across something totally un expected. I think 3 or 4 must see/do things for each day is enough, leaving of plenty of time to wander around taking it all in.

Also totally agree with Glasto-worker about picking your entrance and ideal camping area, and making sure you can carry everything, for a mile or 2 even, over uneven ground.

As I work there I know that some of the favoured spots are well covered on the Tuesday when in fact there should not be any ticket holders tents - they are put up for friends of the crew - they try to stop it but it still goes on .

Last year both stewards and security were going round making people take tents down (I witnessed this in Pennards Tuesday evening). People were told if they left any tents up they would be removed. At 6am Wednesday there were some tents up in Pennards but not that many.

Last year both stewards and security were going round making people take tents down (I witnessed this in Pennards Tuesday evening). People were told if they left any tents up they would be removed. At 6am Wednesday there were some tents up in Pennards but not that many.

How does the Pilton Palais, overlooking the Pyramid, manage to do it every year - or are they crew/friends of the family?

but we all know the tents are put up by staff and many are left empty and provided a person picks the right spot it will merge in with others .{ near the camp site assistants }
I am not claiming that everyone gets away with it but many do and I have a stack of photos taken on the Tuesday showing groups of tents.
Does not affect me either way.

Aside from all the great practical advice, take a smile and a friendly attitude with you, be prepared to get involved (like the people who toasted their jacobs crackers in my plastic toaster, or the fella who spoke to Dolly on my plastic telephone to ask her to wait a bitvas we were at the bar), expect the unexpected, challenge your own ideas of "normal", and take a little bit of the festival spirit home with you.

Lol... you got me there!! I am his twin. That you fox

Only 36, are you sure Paul. Thought you looked good on Benidorm last night.

The Glastoearth/Tort guide is excellent I think.

My best advice to all newbies is, 'don't plan to do too much each day'. Some of my best Glasto times have been when I've just been wandering and stumbled across something totally un expected. I think 3 or 4 must see/do things for each day is enough, leaving of plenty of time to wander around taking it all in.

Also totally agree with Glasto-worker about picking your entrance and ideal camping area, and making sure you can carry everything, for a mile or 2 even, over uneven ground.