Billy Idol

jonodillieono

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, fine, have them, have all these fucking wasters, live your life listening to old shit just cos it reminds you of your youth, but then don't complain there's no modern music coming through. You can't have it both ways. For every act like this which is booked, there's one less vital dynamic band being given a slot.

These fuckers are like massive clots blocking up the lifeblood of fresh, exciting music that should be pumping through the system.

If you'd rather money that could be spent on booking some young, up and coming fresh bands is spent on c**ts like this, that's your lookout, but don't moan about the paucity of modern music. You're part of the problem.

This constant looking back on stuff and at the same time saying there's no new stuff is shit, at revering the past, simply because it's the past at the expense of the present is killing everything you fucking love(d) about music. Think about the bands you loved when you were younger, they got the exposure, they got the chance, the music industry wasn't fucking crammed up with the 40th anniversary of Cheeky Joe Hargreaves and his Happy Banjo Minstrels.

I tell you what, lets hope Glastonbury spends its budget on booking Status Quo/Shakin Stevens/Billy Idol instead of Unknown Painting/Fat White Family/Sleaford Mods. Hoofuckingray.

Looks increasingly like i'll not be there at the next one anyway, so yeah, fill the bill with acts of this quality and bemoan the state of modern music. Preferably in the same post.

Music is too important to let it stagnate, to let these people win. It needs to stay alive. Needs fresh blood. Worst thing that ever happened was the concept of poxy 'legends'.

Edited by Mardy

Its hardly Billy Idols or any other act/band from the past‘s fault that the talent of today are not getting a look in, its Cowell and XFactor/pop idol/Britains got talent and radio ones absolute bullshit daytime DJs who have got the nation brainwashed into listening to the drivel that is mainstream today.

I've got no interest in Billy Idol whatsoever, but I'm not sure I agree that it's all or nothing. The festival has always had a mixture of the old and new and it's just a matter of taste as to which types of which float your boat. I'm fairly sure in recent weeks I've seen the Mardymeister joining in with assorted calls for visits from James Taylor, Steely Dan and the grisly remnants of the Grateful Dead, suggesting that his own flavour of nostalgia gets a pass.

Hopefully we can all appreciate good music whether it's old or new, I like lots of new music because I fell in love with what is now 'old' music and can never get enough of exploring and hunting out new bands. Liking old stuff shouldn't block the new music being created....unless you're too blinkered.

Plus, I still love 'Eyes Without A Face' by a certain Mr Idol....

Got to agree with Mardy on this one. I find it depressing speaking to SO many similarly aged people that I know who have passion for no music made after 1987. I even find myself getting a bit tired of stuff with which I was pretty much obsessed 10-15 years ago. There is SO much extraordinary new stuff around that to have acts peddle out the same of tat year after year, or even more infuriatingly, not even to have been peddling it for years only now to get up out of their comfy chairs to trot out the same stuff, with no sign of any new material from the last decade. ARGH!

The festival equivalent of the wedding disco. Horrible. Just horrible.

I thought I was excited about Slint doing live shows this year. Then, post-rock fanboy though I am, I realised that we're talking about one OK album, from 100 years ago. The Emperor appears to be wearing no clothes...

Ben

I'm fairly sure in recent weeks I've seen the Mardymeister joining in with assorted calls for visits from James Taylor, Steely Dan and the grisly remnants of the Grateful Dead, suggesting that his own flavour of nostalgia gets a pass.

Mardy is too genuine to laugh along with a band.

Yeah - I'm not defending the "Billy Idol LOL" perspective - and it maybe might be a bridge too far -, but it's perfectly possible to enjoy a Neutral Milk Hotel reunion gig *and* one by Young Fathers, and Glastonbury can host both. If they want to hire eighties one hit wonder Kate Bush to appear alongside, I dunno, Caribou or Death Grips I'll not quibble, and if SFA reunite for some easy money I won't be above seeing that some of the money they get is mine.

In short, I don't think you can be absolutist about it.

But then that probably applies to just about any debate on music.

yeah, of course, clearly GC you have a deep abiding love of music and a breadth of knowledge I can only aspire too (that might read as sarky, but I genuinely mean it) . There's no need to be as absolutist as I was being, but I do feel really strongly about it and I do feel that the penduluum has swung much too far the other way (particularly on these boards) that some sort of corrective to the consensus is needed. There are people on this board who profess to love music and yet seem as thought they would be over the moon with a Glastonbury made up entirely of mediocre bands from 91-94

I've been thinking about it this morning, my beef isn't really with the artists, that onion article, like al the best onion stuff, has a hefty whack of truth in it. It's the lazy bollocks spouted by people along the lines of 'No, no there's no good music around these days, not like when I was a youth, we had proper bands like the Wonderstuff and Neds Atomic Dustbin. We'll never see their like again, alas'

His last album got a particularly harsh review in the Guardian.

A turkey just in time for Christmas.

Oh, hes the latest to join the paid "meet and greet" brigade. Only 150 quid though.

MEET & GREET WITH BILLY IDOL AND STEVE STEVENS INDIVIDUAL “SELFIE” WITH BILLY IDOL AND STEVE STEVENS PRIORITY VIP CHECK-IN CROWD FREE MERCHANDISE SHOPPING ON-SITE VIP HOST EXCLUSIVE BILLY IDOL VIP MERCHANDISE

I've been thinking about it this morning, my beef isn't really with the artists, that onion article, like al the best onion stuff, has a hefty whack of truth in it. It's the lazy cobblers spouted by people along the lines of 'No, no there's no good music around these days, not like when I was a youth, we had proper bands like the Wonderstuff and Neds Atomic Dustbin. We'll never see their like again, alas'

Aye - when I say there's no place for absolutism (which is in itself abolutist argument right kids?) an exception should be made for the 'music's not as good as it used to be' claim. which should be dissected, disproved and humiliated with extreme prejudice whenever it rears its ugly head.

an exception should be made for the 'music's not as good as it used to be' claim. which should be dissected, disproved and humiliated with extreme prejudice whenever it rears its ugly head.

that statement is never disproved or humiliated though.

Unless you would care to list 3 current acts as good as the beatles, david bowie and pink floyd.