Pukkelpop 2015

SoLoCo

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First Names March 25th! The first names will be announced in a local clubhouse

By the sound of it (i.e guessing at the Dutch/English translation) there will be a contest and the winner gets to DJ at a club then announce the names. I may have failed in translation, so apologies if I have

First Names March 25th! The first names will be announced in a local clubhouse

By the sound of it (i.e guessing at the Dutch/English translation) there will be a contest and the winner gets to DJ at a club then announce the names. I may have failed in translation, so apologies if I have

Almost correct ;) Local youth clubs can enter the contest, the winner gets a party hosted by Pukkelpop, where the names will be revealed shortly before the main announcement.

Must be a big package though, Pukkelpop is well behind on the other fests in that period.

Hey everyone, just skimmed through this topic. Was wondering about your opinion regarding these bands' chances of playing pkp.

My criteria: 1. I like them, 2. They have/had an album out this year or last and/or are touring in 2015, 3. They are pkp-material, 4. They haven't been mentioned these past pages.

Dry the River

Villagers

The Tallest Man on Earth

Blood Red Shoes
Mono

Sleigh Bells

The Antlers

Wil Butler

Lamb

Purity Ring

Tori Amos

Stars

Metric

Aaaand go!

Edit: In desperate need of some positivity.

Edited by EliseSometimes

Couple more self-confirmations according to Festileaks: Kate Tempest and Acid Arab. Reckon we will get a few more before 25th comes round.

At least we now have a date so I think we can expect a fair chunk of the line up, possibly up to half again. I hope for their sake (and indeed ours!) it's something special as this delayed announcement is going to send people's expectations through the roof. If they haven't got some exclusives (or even at least one) then many will question why they needed to hang on? They may have set themselves up for a fall here but tbf you're never going to please everyone. They could bring the deceased members of the Beatles back from the dead, reform Led Zeppelin and coax David Bowie out of his semi-retirement and some people would still complain!

I think we're all pretty realistic as to what we can expect so let's hope we're pleasantly surprised, or even over the moon, in a couple of weeks time!!

Blood Red Shoes

Tori Amos

I am sure that Blood Red Shoes have played before ( as I think I watched them) and I think they'd go over well with the PKP audience. I think Tori Amos would work, but not sure where. I don't know how popular she is now but the Castello (I think, it's the one on the right as you head towards the dance tents) would be a great place to see her if the crowd would fit.

I'll be honest, I doubt I could name a single song by any of the others, so I'm not the best person to answer in all honesty!

Oh ok, because I read a lot about the chances of a great undercard and these all seemed like acts who could work on either main or in the marquee or club between say 3 and 8. Tori Amos being the exception. She headlined the Marquee in Werchter some years ago against Metallica if I'm not mistaken, and the tent was pretty full.

The undercard has been great at each Pukkelpop edition I have been to. They seem to get bands on the up at just the right time. For example I watched Biffy Clyro in the Shelter mid-afternoon. They do a great job of finding the acts that are going to be huge.

They had Haim as they were breaking, The War on Drugs, St Vincent etc

Don't worry too much about me having no idea how most of those bands are, I'm not a "new" bands person at all. No doubt about it, you'll be impressed with the undercard!

Edited by TheNewUnion

Question for people that have been? What is the drinks situation like? Just sell beer?, or do they do cider and spirits?

No spirits and No cider from what I remember although there is a barcadi sponsored stand, I'm not sure if they actually sell the stuff.

They sell Maes beer, there's a speciality beer stall and a champagne stall.

Edited by DiscothequeDave

If you've got a fairly open mind and are prepared to do a bit of research beforehand, then you'll find more than enough amazing music to fill the weekend. As The New Union mentioned, they've really got their finger on the pulse and unearth loads of gems every year without fail. Some go on to big things (not really my bag but remember seeing Florence in the Club a few years ago at about 6pm) and others were just a fantastic moment in time (Balkan Beat Box in the old Chateau still goes down as one of my favourite ever PKP performances and I stumbled upon them completely by chance).

I love a good headliner as much as the next person but that's not even in the top 5 reasons why I go each year. There's always so many other interesting things happening at that time of night that it's (almost!) a relief when there's someone on I'm not interested in.

Seen that RW announced SBTRKT today. Don't think that completely rules him out but it's not good news.

Les Ardentes are announcing a 'bomb' of a name on Monday and are advising punters to snap up tickets, suggesting this name will sell the festival out. Hope it's not someone decent.

In addition, the name has only been signed today. So people are pointing towards Blur.

I'd put my money on Deadmau5. Would be a huge booking for Les Ardentes, no space for him on the RW lineup, he won't do TML and Pukkelpop doesn't do major repeats.

That's why I personally think it might be related to the Castello. I've noticed in the past years that the Castello so close to Boiler and Dance Hall didn't always work so well, especially when there's intimate acts going on in Castello.

Agree that it can sometimes be a problem during the day but by far the worst sound bleed is between the Shelter and the Boiler. Was briefly in the former last year for Kadavar and the noise coming through was awful. I'm guessing the majority of the people who frequent the Shelter each year despise the Boiler so it seemed a little sadistic, and indeed ironic, that their enjoyment was soured by sound filtering through from their least favourite stage.

On the other hand we might also get a new set of (physical) tents, given the Club collapsed last year.

Hope this includes a bigger Dance Hall - that tent was way too small for some of the bands they had on last year.

I don't really have trust in the Despacio idea. Yes, it sounds great and it's something that Pukkelpop would do. But a 1k people capacity stage at a 55-60k festival? I'm not sure how that'd work out.

Well Glasto is the best part of 200,000 and they had a tent there. Granted it was one of about a million stages but it's always 'one in, one out' for Despacio so if it does turn up at PKP then it will operate on the same basis. Might involve a bit if queueing but as far as I'm concerned it's a small price to pay to see those DJs on that soundsystem. I live more in hope than expectation though.

Les Ardentes are announcing a 'bomb' of a name on Monday and are advising punters to snap up tickets, suggesting this name will sell the festival out. Hope it's not someone decent.

Also see they announced the Charlatans. Would have loved them at PP.

Maybe Blur...They playing one week after At FIB and Super Bock Super Rock IN Portugal

No spirits and No cider from what I remember although there is a barcadi sponsored stand, I'm not sure if they actually sell the stuff.

They sell Maes beer, there's a speciality beer stall and a champagne stall.

Similar to Werchter then, that's me out. I'm not a beer drinker, don't actually like the stuff, pretty much what rules me out of Werchter and the while drink before you go in isn't enough.

Similar to Werchter then, that's me out. I'm not a beer drinker, don't actually like the stuff, pretty much what rules me out of Werchter and the while drink before you go in isn't enough.

That's unfortunate, you'll be missing out on a great festival.

I think the above may have something to contribute to the behaviour of the festival goers. Very unusual to see anyone completely smashed there. Maybe its just a Non-British thing but the lack of spirits definitely contributes to it.

There is street stalls directly outside the venue that may sell a better variety but obviously you can't bring it in with you.

At least its not like festivals like Opener in Poland where you can't drink at all around the stages and tents.

Yesterday in the spanish most famous radio (Radio 3) It was said that Blur was a last minute Booking for Benicassim. They were offeered To BBK live And FIB and finally FIB signed them. It was said that they were going to Play The New album complete Or almost complete. Maybe some early summer festivals to prove the new songs live before a big World tour At the end 2015 and 2016?

If Ardentes take Blur in a summer that there is lack of headliners for Summer festivals and they refused to book Metallica, would be sooo strange. I understand that Wercher steal Good names... But Les Ardentes??? Good Knows