Pukkelpop 2015

SoLoCo

Good to hear about Slaves. They are on my top-3 must-watch list for PKP so far, along with Viet Cong and FFS.

Ride were excellent in Amsterdam last night. Although they did play for nearly 2 hours, so the festival set is going to be a mightily trimmed down version of that.

Saw on Facebook that Eppo from the PKP team was also there last night, maybe he'll now give them a longer set time?!? Not entirely sure what they'll do with them tbh? Think they will probably headline the Club but it's hard to judge how popular they are with the PKP crowd? Could also see them 2nd/3rd from top of the Marquee, which would suit me better as Club headliner might mean a clash with Underworld.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I guess this confirms, for whatever reason, that they couldn't get hold of decent headliner's for Friday and Saturday as there's no way they'd hold back announcing Alt-J. I'm 100% in support of giving bands the chance to 'step up' and all that but two in one year? This news makes any potential late night clash a lot easier for me, as I'm not a huge fan of the Main Stage anyway, but I know a lot of others on here wanted to see someone big announced.

I'm sure the inquests will begin now (there's already a couple of comments on Facebook) but we'll probably never know for sure what's happened this year? Are they suffering financial issues from the storm legacy? Did they hold out for a band (Blur?) and this caused them to lose other headliner's available that weekend (I'm most gutted about the Chemical Brothers in that respect)? Or have they sold everyone short and booked a cheap headliner? I'm more inclined to go with one or both of the first two as they've never scrimped on headliner's in the past so why start now?

Just seen that Alt-J are also playing RW. They'll probably headline the Barn there, which makes this news even more embarrassing.

Good news about Radio Soulwax, although it's now tradition for the group I go with to get drunk in the little bar on the corner Wednesday night.

Alt-J. The general consensus seemed to be that they were worthy of the opportunity to step up to headline, but with Bastille doing so too it does seem a bit weak.

Soulwax will be mint. I missed Goat at Glastonbury so looking forward to them. Need to listen to a lot of the others as I've not heard of most of 're.

Think we are pretty much done with acts I've heard of now, time to start planning who I want to see.

I'm sure the inquests will begin now (there's already a couple of comments on Facebook) but we'll probably never know for sure what's happened this year? Are they suffering financial issues from the storm legacy? Did they hold out for a band (Blur?) and this caused them to lose other headliner's available that weekend (I'm most gutted about the Chemical Brothers in that respect)? Or have they sold everyone short and booked a cheap headliner? I'm more inclined to go with one or both of the first two as they've never scrimped on headliner's in the past so why start now?

It's just a lack of headline-worthy names, simple as that. Look at Lowlands having co-headline constructions with Paolo Nutini/Kendrick Lamar/Ben Howard and a popular dance act. Or Rock'n'Heim going from 3 days to 1 because they can't find enough big names. A lot of festivals also seem to resort to The Libertines, and they aren't even half as popular as Alt-J or Bastille.

It doesn't help either that most major acts are passing Europe both in June/July and end of August. Werchter has snatched away most of the real candidates (Chemical Brothers, Florence, Elbow, Mumfords), and Les Ardentes specially upped their ticket prices by 15-20 euros to outbid other Belgian festivals in the Kendrick Lamar race.

I'm not going to give them a hard time for booking Alt-J. That band is in a similar position as The xx in 2013, and that worked out wel + they have an actual sub sized band and very popular dance act surrounding their spot. I still can't accept though that they did this twice in one weekend (whereas 2013 had two major headliners next to The xx) + the change in ticket prices blamed on 'expensive acts'.

Now I'm 100% sure that I won't attend the festival this year. This festival is the ashes of the festival I discovered 6 years ago. Not only the headliners, the Shelter programation this year is a joke. There are hundreds of nice punk/hardcore/metal/rock bands in august european circuit and they only got Mastodon plus 3 o 4 nice bands... Chokri won't get my money this year.

Werchter has snatched away most of the real candidates (Chemical Brothers, Florence, Elbow, Mumfords)

You may well be right but I'd be more inclined to accept that theory if they had of announced someone who wasn't playing RW. Three of the four you've listed are playing festivals on or either side of the PKP dates, and the same goes for Kasabian, The Prodigy and The Script (although I would have seriously considered selling my ticket if they had of announced The Script). Even with the apparent lack of headliners around this year, I can't imagine any of us believe that when Chokri and his team sat down last October to put their wish list together, it had Bastille and Alt-J as two of them. They know well in advance who's touring around their dates so I think they've held out for someone who, for whatever reason, they weren't able to book. The fact that Festileaks were so confident about Blur before the first announcement gives more weight to that theory, and since then they've been trying to get someone else as replacement.

I think Rock Werchter 'gave' them Alt-J and is getting a band from Pukkelpop to replace Sam Smith who cancelled...

I don't get the impression either festival tie bands down as exclusives. It seems to be more of a gentlemen's agreement that they don't overlap too much, although it obviously also comes down to when certain bands are in Europe and available.

Maybe there'll be one stage/tent dedicated to these curators.

Fingers crossed for a Soulwax curated day. Could have Soulwax, Juan MacLean, Museum of Love, 2manydjs and Despacio day!

I'll take the credit for this one, then :-)

I've only attended the Wednesday once and thought it was pretty poor tbh, if I'm to go this certainly changes my viewpoint of the line-up. I'm a massive Soulwax fan and have no doubt that the line up on the Wednesday will be better than the whole of the Friday. On the other hand, it turns it from a 3 to a 4 day festival and I'm not sure my liver will put up with it.

The Juan MacLean will almost certainly be on the soulwax night..This could explain why they've not been announced yet. This could also open it up for Hot Chip to be there. As its the opening party I doubt it'll be Despacio but you never know. You can probably add stuff like Mixhell to the equation as well. Of course, the main thing it might give us is a return of Soulwax as a band. They are unbelievable live and would be great to see them again. A 2manyDJ's set will inevitably happen and that's never a bad thing.

My worry is that the organisers may have misjudged it and the Dance Hall will be rammed. On another note it's good to see some recognition that it's the 30th Anniversary, been very underplayed.

But that leads us on to the headliner. Shite. And not impressed with the rest either. The organisers have scrimped on the line up and it shows. Easily the weakest set of headliners at ANY major European festival.

Edited by DiscothequeDave

Well shit, now I'll need to evaluate all over again whether we're going... Almost wish they'd sell Wednesday tickets!!

Soulwax on their own would've been headliner material in my book, let alone if they bring the whole Radio Soulwax crew. And hey wouldya look at that, Erol Alkan and Mr. Oizo are amongst the already announced...

Coming from someone who doesn't really care about headliners, I'd say Alt-J is an alright saving grace. Better than nothing? Gonna maintain that Bastille is going to pull a HUGE crowd, that type of music is just very popular.

Some highlights: definitely check out The Soft Moon if you haven't already. From the Belgian stuff, Vuurwerk and Pomrad are excellent Castello stuff, Bony King is REALLY solid, Zornik have always sounded like they really want to be Muse to me, but might be of interest to some.

Lastly, for some comedy, Safi & Spreej are Flemish rappers and that's just precious.

Well shit, now I'll need to evaluate all over again whether we're going... Almost wish they'd sell Wednesday tickets!!

Soulwax on their own would've been headliner material in my book, let alone if they bring the whole Radio Soulwax crew. And hey wouldya look at that, Erol Alkan and Mr. Oizo are amongst the already announced...

Turns a distinctly average 3 day festival into a pretty good 4 Dayer, doesn't it?

I've said previously that I wasn't that arsed about the Saturday headliner but extra effort in getting someone good wouldn't have gone amiss.

Edited by DiscothequeDave

I'm not going to give them a hard time for booking Alt-J. That band is in a similar position as The xx in 2013, and that worked out wel + they have an actual sub sized band and very popular dance act surrounding their spot. I still can't accept though that they did this twice in one weekend (whereas 2013 had two major headliners next to The xx) + the change in ticket prices blamed on 'expensive acts'.

My thoughts exactly, if they had someone other than Bastille we'd now be impressed with them for promoting Alt J (have I said this already? I'm sure I have)

I just can't get into Alt-J. I've tried...Just like Interpol....I've tried.

But I especially can't get into Alt-J being the last headliner of a festival that's had Kraftwerk, Iron Maiden, Eminem, the Foo Fighters and the Stone Roses amongst the top names in the last 5 years.

My worry is that the organisers may have misjudged it and the Dance Hall will be rammed.

I read somewhere today that only combi-ticket holders can come to the pre-party but I thought it was those with Thursday tickets too? Even if that is the case, a lot of people from both groups won't come to the pre-party so I reckon it will be busy but hopefully nothing like Disclosure from last year! There's also no mention this is instead of the Boiler party so I think we'll get both. The fact they're using the Dance Hall does suggest there'll be bands as well as DJ's, which will make it seem like a proper takeover. Think Mixhell is a good shout and Ego Troopers seem to play with them quite often. As Snorefest mentioned, some of the other regulars have already been announced (Tiga, Erol Alkan, Boyz Noise) so I'm going to throw in an obvious one - James Murphy - and possibly Goose, Aeroplane and 2 bears?

How do we see the headline acts breaking down then?

Rudimental

Linkin Park

Paolo Nutini

Major Lazer

Bastille

Ellie Goulding

Netsky

Alt J

???

Most probably The Offspring as sub for Saturday. You've then got Tame Impala and/or The War on Drugs below them, unless they play in the Marquee.

Couple of other things I picked up today: Nadiem Shah, TLP and Michael Midnight will all be closing the Boiler on their respective nights and it looks like Faisel, Beauhouse and LTGL will all be opening it on their days.

The trident of terror that is The Offspring, Linkin Park and, Limp Bizkit is the killer I think. It just looks bad when written down. It's probably just me as the whole "nu metal" thing passed me by (I am aware the Linkin Park are very highly regarded)

3 terrible bands.

The fact they're using the Dance Hall does suggest there'll be bands as well as DJ's, which will make it seem like a proper takeover. Think Mixhell is a good shout and Ego Troopers seem to play with them quite often. As Snorefest mentioned, some of the other regulars have already been announced (Tiga, Erol Alkan, Boyz Noise) so I'm going to throw in an obvious one - James Murphy - and possibly Goose, Aeroplane and 2 bears?

Mixhell will be a goer i'd imagine, need to send some music their way this week, so will ask and try and get a confirmation when i know. can also see the radio soulwax night playing out as:

Soulwax

2manydjs LIVE

Mixhell

Paul Chambers

Handbraekes

Erol Alkan

Gucci Soundsystem

James Murphy

then load of other possibilties like: Zombie Nation, Ego Troopers, Busy P, Eclair Fifi, Riton, Rory Philips, Nancy Whang, Xavier De Rosnay,

Looks like there will be Belgian rock bands in the Castello on Wednesday. Attempt to spread the crowd? Since 3/4 of the people with combi tickets arrive on Wednesday, it could've gotten dangerous in the Dance Hall with no clashes.

Edited by Dietediet

They must have offered Ronson more cash and champagne!

Looks like they're going for it on Wednesday, although I was expecting when I read the headline that the new names would be for the Dance Hall. With the other two big Belgian festivals being four days hopefully this will now be a regular thing. Would be nice to see other take-overs in the future, especially in the Dance Hall as it obviously has the capacity for live bands as well as DJs.