Album of the year?

Dog Burger

I've never listened to them before, but I'll probably give it another go anyway, because it should be up my street and seems to be loved by a lot of people. From what I recall, they seem comparable to Interpol, whose album I much preferred, although it was also a little forgettable.

I don't know how to explain this, and it may be something nobody in the world has ever said, but Fourteen Autumns And Fifteen Winters reminds me of Funeral, in a way. The only way I can put it into words it that they both feel very big, in completely different ways, but you turn those records on, and the songs feel like they occupy loads of space. Give it a go, you might decide I'm talking out of my arse, but I think you'll definitely get something from it.

... I wonder if it's the accordion?

From a completely bias pov I will go with Pink Floyd's 'The Endless River'. The album is one of the most personally significant releases of my life, for reasons I'm not entirely sure of myself, and it is one of the best albums I have listened to for a long time.

Finally another Floyd album, finally. Finally.

My top 50:

1: Taylor Swift - 1989

2: O’Hooley & Tidow - The Hum

3: Bright Light Bright Light - Life Is Easy

4: Todd Terje - It’s Album Time

5: Cher Lloyd - Sorry I’m Late

6: Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott - What Have We Become?

7: The 2 Bears - The Night Is Young

8: Jessie Ware - Tough Love

9: Bellowhead - Revival

10: La Roux - Trouble In Paradise

11: Moulettes - Constellations

12: Sam Smith - In The Lonely Hour

13: Katy B - Little Red

14: Leonard Cohen - Popular Problems

15: Paloma Faith - A Perfect Contradiction

16: The Vamps - Meet The Vamps

17: George Michael - Symphonica

18: Sia - 1000 Forms Of Fear

19: Neil Diamond - Melody Road

20: Sleaford Mods - Divide And Exit

21: Jimi Goodwin - Odludek

22: Clean Bandit - New Eyes

23: Johnny Cash - Out Among The Stars

24: Ella Henderson - Chapter One

25: Mad Caddies - Dirty Rice

26: Dolly Parton - Blue Smoke

27: Metronomy - Love Letters

28: Royksopp - The Inevitable End

29: Kate Tempest - Everybody Down

30: New Build - Pour It On

31: Elbow - The Take Off And Landing Of Everything

32: Cheryl - Only Human

33: Paolo Nutini - Caustic Love

34: Chromeo - White Women

35: Royksopp & Robyn - Do It Again

36: Oysterband - Diamonds On The Water

37: Caribou - Our Love

38: Jungle - Jungle

39: Kate Rusby - Ghost

40: Basement Jaxx - Junto

41: Foxes - Glorious

42: Suzanne Vega - Tales From The Realm Of The Queen Of Pentacles

43: 5 Seconds Of Summer - 5 Seconds Of Summer

44: Brian Eno & Karl Hyde - Someday World

45: James - La Petite Mort

46: Jenny Lewis - The Voyager

47: Pharrell Williams - Girl

48: First Aid Kit - Stay Gold

49: Lily Allen - Sheezus

50: Calvin Harris - Motion

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't know how to explain this, and it may be something nobody in the world has ever said, but Fourteen Autumns And Fifteen Winters reminds me of Funeral, in a way. The only way I can put it into words it that they both feel very big, in completely different ways, but you turn those records on, and the songs feel like they occupy loads of space. Give it a go, you might decide I'm talking out of my arse, but I think you'll definitely get something from it.

Downloading now by illegal means (sorry to steal from a band you love, but I've been left with no choice). If I ever listen to anything else which ignites the same feelings in me that Funeral does, I'll be very happy. Good to keep expectations low.

I don't really get that Twilight Sad album, and I usually love white men with guitars being really sad and stuff. Like the first couple of songs but it completely loses me by the end.

I've only listened to it once or twice but that's kind of how I feel about. Really liked the first few songs but it faded away after that. I like their other 3 albums so I'll no doubt go back to this one at some point, but I was a bit underwhelmed by it.

Listened to it twice now, can definitely see where you're coming from. It's more gloomy and less optimistically cathartic than Funeral, but it does have the same kind of urgency to it. There's similar instrumentation too, as you mention, although much more guitar dominated, and I reckon the big walls of sound could do with a little more variation/diversity, but that's just being picky. Not heard it enough to take in the all the lyrics yet, obviously, but there seems to be a similar focus on childhood and adolescence, from what I've gathered? Definitely some very Win-esque lyrics in there.

I like some of the tracks, Digital Witness is particularly good, but it's a bit too err, maximalist maybe? Gets a bit irritating after a while.

Kind of this. I like every song individually, but it's not always an enjoyable listen from start to finish. It begins to grate on me by 'Regret'. Still a good album, but much better live.

I started a separate thread on the Discussions page a few weeks ago. Only just found this thread. Anyway my list is...

1. Swans - To Be Kind

=2. Graze - Edges

=2. East India Youth - Total Strife Forever

=2. War On Drugs - Lost In The Dream

=2. Wild Beasts - Present Tense

=2. Strand Of Oaks - HEAL

=2. First Aid Kit - Stay Gold

=2. J Mascis - Tied To A Star

=2. Aphex Twin - Syro

=2. Gruff Rhys - American Interior

Spotify playlist of one track from each album is here

Best of 2014

I'd never heard of Swans before I listened to To Be Kind for the first time. Absolutely mind blowing stuff. If you've not heard this album, set aside 2 hours of your time and listen to it now!

If you're into a bit of glitchy, funky techno, you can't go wrong with Graze's "Edges". My most listened to album this year according to Last.fm.

I still can't believe Wild Beasts weren't even nominated for this year's Mercury Music Prize!

Edited by windy_miller

About to listen to it. I'm going in.

If he was playing the festival next year, where on the lineup would he be?

West Holts sub maybe? his absence makes it hard to gage how popular he is, but he's playing pretty prominent venues on his next tour (London Hammersmith, Manchester Apollo) so reckon that'd be a decent slot for him (would've said headlining but i don't think he's quite there)

West Holts sub maybe? his absence makes it hard to gage how popular he is, but he's playing pretty prominent venues on his next tour (London Hammersmith, Manchester Apollo) so reckon that'd be a decent slot for him (would've said headlining but i don't think he's quite there)

That's the debate I was having with myself: WH sub or WH headliner? I suppose it depends on how this album does.