Online dating (experiences and guidance)

t8yman

I wanted to know if anyone has any experience of online dating sites?

Someone close to me has real problems finding the right person, and I am thinking of getting him a membership to a dating site as a christmas gift, my logic being that a "pay site" might well yield better results as people who have had to pay are more serious about finding someone than people that are just joining a free dating site to get laid?

Is this likely the case?

And if anyone has any pointers as to which sites are good, which to avoid, or relevant guidance to pass on I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, if people are sensitive about the matter and don't want to discuss on a public forum - I would appreciate anything by PM, and I can assure you it will remain entirely confidential.

Thanks folks.

I briefly looked into this area when I was a long term single person. The only site that appealed to me was the Guardian Soulmates site. I didn't have the nerve to fully join in the end, but did get the impression that people weren't on there to piss about. Worth a look at I'd say;

https://soulmates.theguardian.com

As an aside, my son in law used one of these mobile phone app on line dating sites you can get to see what response he would get when inputting ' serial misogynist seeks lady to toss salad with'. The result was that one lady responded, they both got the shag and then went their separate ways the morning after.

My ex was a POF person. Whilst it obviously didn't work out he is a decent enough guy and I'm obviously an awesome girl. There were a lot of morons on there though. I had an 18 year old ask me what I'd like to do to him (I told him I'd buy him an ice cream lol) and some dude threw peoples down the back of my jeans and then asked if he could pull them back out (I kid you not). This was all about 8 years ago so things have probably changed and probably not for the better!

I've just started online dating after being single for a while. My impression of POF was that it's full of time wasters; I have female friends who only go on there to boost their self esteem. I think I'm a pretty average looking guy and I barely got a reply whilst I was on there.

I joined Match a couple of months ago and I've been on a few dates, one of which I hope might go somewhere. I also know another mate who has found someone on that site and they have been together for about 6 months now

Edit: I also think online dating is pretty normal nowadays. I tell my friends that's where I''ve been meeting girls and they haven't batted an eyelid. When you see some of the girls on their it also help relieve some of the doubts you might have

Edited by howlin_pete

If you're a guy go Speed Dating. The women are looking for something solid and it's always oversubscribed female-to-male.

I've dated successfully online, it was a lot of effort but I did meet someone wonderful.

I have been speed dating and I met a lot of wonderful people and I was having to fend the estrogen-fuelled hordes off with a nail-studded baseball bat.

Basically speed dating does a lot more in one night than what can be achieved in 3000 hours of multi-tasking Internet dating.

I wanted to know if anyone has any experience of online dating sites?

Someone close to me has real problems finding the right person, and I am thinking of getting him a membership to a dating site as a christmas gift, my logic being that a "pay site" might well yield better results as people who have had to pay are more serious about finding someone than people that are just joining a free dating site to get laid?

Is this likely the case?

And if anyone has any pointers as to which sites are good, which to avoid, or relevant guidance to pass on I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, if people are sensitive about the matter and don't want to discuss on a public forum - I would appreciate anything by PM, and I can assure you it will remain entirely confidential.

Thanks folks.

I don't suppose your mate is a Christian is he?

I don't suppose your mate is a Christian is he?

He was christened, but I wouldnt class him as a christian any more than I would class myself one (Im massively atheist)

dont get why that matters, or did something I say imply he may be? (confused)

whats "POF"?

and is the general concensus that a paid site is a better step than a shag site?

he doesnt need a shag, he needs a solid, stable relationship. and a small element of "mothering" (i know that sounds a bit awful, but he's a mare at running his shit)

He was christened, but I wouldnt class him as a christian any more than I would class myself one (Im massively atheist)

dont get why that matters, or did something I say imply he may be? (confused)

Sorry for the confusion - it's just that I have it on good authority from a Christian lady friend that the female to male ratio on Christian weekends away is very heavily orientated in favour of the males. I just thought that if he was a Christian, he could go on one of these and get himself shagged senseless, and may even find someone who would be 'strong' and sensible - well, apart from their religious beliefs that is.

I just thought that if he was a Christian, he could go on one of these and get himself shagged senseless, and may even find someone who would be 'strong' and sensible - well, apart from their religious beliefs that is.

I'd imagine he might need to get married first...

Mind the backdoor is fine:

Lol, no, I was not ok with any part of the pebble incident and I took them out myself and told him he was a weirdo. Shame at the time because the rest of the date had been fun. I then found out he'd been talking to a mate of mine on there and when we compared stories he'd told us about himself we quickly realised he was full of shit.