James

ads1980

Went to see them at Leeds last night and I must say, they were pretty awesome. Starsailor were on support who I had not heard for a long time but they sounded ok.

But it got me thinking that James would be a good afternoon slot on the pyramid/other stage. Don't know if they have played recently?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They get mentioned every year and get overlooked every year. I've seen them on the pyramid many moons ago and they were frikin' awesome.

Didn't they refuse to go on one year whist there was a particular football match being played?

I think this is the 4th thread that this has been mentioned

Laid is my favourite, Five-O is a beautiful song. Really hoping they play next year. As I said in the other thread, didn't go see them on this tour as they were playing mainly arena's, but looking at the reaction of the gigs, and the setlists and the energy of the band at the minute, I should have gone.

It was beautiful mate - if that's an appropriate word for a song about child abuse. It was raining on my face even though we were inside.

As was sound. Tim and Andy were up in the seats for that.

You repeatedly have howlers where James are concerned if you haven't seen them in last five years. They always pull some belters out of the hat that you're not expecting.

Listening to laid now and actually don't think I can separate it from seven.

The only one I'm not too keen on is whiplash - and yet that has three or four absolute belters on it. In fact I'm gonna revisit it this aft after how good go to the bank sounded live. I may have misjudged it a long time ago.

I went to see them when they toured night before/morning after so only 3/4 years ago I guess. This was just a cost too far. I really like whiplash, even she's a star despite the fact it was a top ten hit!

such a shame there is only a microscopic chance of them playing glastonbury, while all the dross gets invited back year after year.

Ended up seeing James twice in London last week and thought they were the best shows they've ever done. La Petite Mort is a wonderful album and even more-so live. Throw in the random selection of hits and early tracks and they were each 2 hours of amazing live music.

Also got me thinking how good James at Glastonbury would be. If they and the Eavii have fallen out over anything then it's to the detriment of the festival goers, that's fo' sho'.

ETA: Other Stage, Saturday tea-time slot would be splendid, imo.

Edited by MoilyX

Laid is my favourite, Five-O is a beautiful song. Really hoping they play next year. As I said in the other thread, didn't go see them on this tour as they were playing mainly arena's, but looking at the reaction of the gigs, and the setlists and the energy of the band at the minute, I should have gone.

Oddly one of the few bands that I enjoyed more in an arena than a smaller venue. Maybe they were just better this time compared to 8 years ago when I first saw them. The new album is an absolute cracker too.

Saw them a couple of times the other year. Started the gigs from the back of the room with an acoustic guitar, playing Sit Down.

Pretty brave to play your biggest commercial hit, first, & stripped back!

Loved both gigs, amazing live band.

Almost as brave as not playing it on the current tour at all!

It wasn't missed, either.

The new album is great.

Curse Curse is an absolute belter and would go down very well with me live at Glastonbury on any stage.

I'd have to insist they headlined if they ever got back on board with The Eavises.

Obviously they'd be lucky to headline the Pyramid Stage but if Mumford and Sons have done it then James would smash it.

Saying that, Headling the Other Stage would probably be more suited to them.

If not that then West Holts.

You need the headline slot to appreciate the full greatness of the shows as they are doing 2 hours these days and it would be a shame to cut any of it out.

Great reading this, I was at Leeds as well on Sunday, was a brilliant gig and i have seen them plenty of times over the years, and that is up there!!!

They are not in favour for some reason, maybe a few people tweeting may influence them to be booked, one thing is for sure, the band would jump at the chance.

They are definitely not a heritage band, the new stuff stands up to the old favourites like Tomorrow, Born of Frustration, Laid et al

He's just a great front man and that's what would make them so good at Glastonbury.

When you think of the likes of Liam Gallagher or Ian Brown who are supposed headline material it just makes a mockery of the whole headliner criteria really.

They haven't even got the hits to surpass James.

25 years of 2 hours worth of hits and a little trip down memory lane for the Glasto crowd makes it a no brainer really.

I'd like to see them do 2 sets at Glastonbury.

A headline or sub slot and then a smaller venue somewhere like Jp or Acoustic.

Edited by chrislfc

Saul once told me he thought Eavis didn't like them, so I think that's where that came from. I wonder now though, I mean, if it's the football thing, coming on late in 1998, I can't see Eavis being that bothered, but the guy who would be really pissed off is the stage manager, the one responsible for keeping stuff running on time and dealing with all that.

The one who left this year: http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/14/141013b.shtml

So maybe next year we're in with a chance?

(Not a fan of the new album mind, I dearly wish Hey Ma had got half as much publicity as this one is getting. It's not bad, per-se, but it's down there with Morning After / Millionaires rather than up there with Laid/Seven/Gold Mother).