Field Day 2015

zahidf

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first Field day weekend. It was.......alright.

I dont wanna come across as a moany old sod. And, maybe, i was just VERY unlucky. But.....Saturday was a bit naff. EVERYWHERE i went, i was SURROUNDED by people just chatting through the bands. I mean, like, quite close to the front too. It was ridiculous! And they were rude when asked to shut the fuck up.

Again....maybe it was just me being VERY unlucky.

One more moan. That Jagerhaus thing was crap, wernt it? Queue to get in. You get in. But you have to queue again to get into the stage area to actually see a band play. You (FINALLY) get in there....and its 1/2 empty anyways. Pointless.

Still, Cheatahs in the Jagerhaus was absolutely brilliant......so......yeah.

We ended up drinking outside so only saw Gaz Coombes (dull), Baxter Dury and Ride (both very good). Anyone see Slaves or DIIV? Bit gutted I missed them.

I assume you mean Savages and not Slaves, and yeah, they were pretty good! Was at Viet Cong so can't comment on DIIV.

I dont wanna come across as a moany old sod. And, maybe, i was just VERY unlucky. But.....Saturday was a bit naff. EVERYWHERE i went, i was SURROUNDED by people just chatting through the bands. I mean, like, quite close to the front too. It was ridiculous! And they were rude when asked to shut the fuck up.

You asked them to "shut the fuck up" instead of just moving yourself? Well, that's a shame. I found I had to move about a lot to get good spots for most things (this was way more prominent on Saturday - the Sunday crowd was far better) but that's life init. Once you find a good group of people also digesting the music and allowing you to have the experience you want to have, it's much better. But a Field Day crowd can leave you wanting.

Went on Sunday. Thought Errors were ok, enjoyed AllahLas (sp?) and DIIV. Gaz Coombes was average, Patti Smith was brilliant and Ride was boring. £5 for a can of lager made me angry so I didn't drink much although I found some Frontier Lager which was quite nice. Thought there was a good mix of people who I found all ok and the food was absolutely yummy. Probably my fav fest for food.

I assume you mean Savages and not Slaves, and yeah, they were pretty good! Was at Viet Cong so can't comment on DIIV.

You asked them to "shut the fuck up" instead of just moving yourself? Well, that's a shame. I found I had to move about a lot to get good spots for most things (this was way more prominent on Saturday - the Sunday crowd was far better) but that's life init. Once you find a good group of people also digesting the music and allowing you to have the experience you want to have, it's much better. But a Field Day crowd can leave you wanting.

I obviously didnt use the words 'shut the fuck up'. And we did try to move around to at least try to find a spot with non chatters. I would also say that this was only really the case for the main stage and the Crack MAg/Shacklewell Arms 'second' stage. But.....yeah. It was really odd & annoying. Even Reading festival at its worse was NEVER as full of disinterested chatters as Fiedy Day saturday was. I agree that Sunday was much better though.

One other moan. Bars had Red Stripe livery everywhere. But they'd sold out Saturday night.

I would also say that, for Food, it has to have been one of the BEST festivals. So much choice. Couldn't eat it all (im tubby, but not THAT tubby), but Moony's Haloumi's BBQ Wraps wereeffing AMAZING. The Bell & Brisket's Salt Beef, gerkin, cheese & pickle bagel was also really bloody good.

I want one again now....

I obviously didnt use the words 'shut the fuck up'. And we did try to move around to at least try to find a spot with non chatters. I would also say that this was only really the case for the main stage and the Crack MAg/Shacklewell Arms 'second' stage. But.....yeah. It was really odd & annoying. Even Reading festival at its worse was NEVER as full of disinterested chatters as Fiedy Day saturday was. I agree that Sunday was much better though.

Haha, had to check! It's a real shame you had a bad time with the crowds. Sometimes you just can't win. Good to see you picking out bits you did enjoy though. Hard not to with the beautiful weather!

Went Sunday, enjoyed it, reminded me of bigger festivals. No hassles with getting a good position (ref above). Amused me that Patti Smith had twice the crowd Ride had. Discovered Diiv. Helped the real ale tent sell out of everything. Almost got sunburnt. Would go again. :)

I went expecting the worst but no queue to get in found the stages well laid out with decent sound - Clark, Tune-Yards, and generally the Bugged Out stage were highlights on Saturday with DIIV, My Brightest Diamond, Patti Smith and Savages hitting the spot on Sunday.

Plenty of toilets - good choice of tasty food and at least there was some real ale if it soon started running out.

I agree with retromoz re too many hipsters talking during the music but this is London I guess and you will always get people who are there just to look cool and get some selfies.

My pleasure. Everyone who I went with hadn't heard of him beforehand and all left with smiles having loved it. One of them left with a copy on their iPod for the journey home! The whole concept of Owen's music is wonderful, and he knows it's clever, yet he still seems a humble man. It all works so well. It was the sort of gig where you could tell a lot of people were unfamiliar with the content but were very aware they were witnessing someone smart and special. Lots of eye lighting up at some of the clever loops, the plucking of the violin strings... excellent!

I will now gladly introduce a new segment to eFestivals: Tales by Tuna, part 1...

"What should we play next?" asked Owen to the crowd. "Win and Regine!" an excited festival-goer screamed. "Okay" responded Owen, the entire band instantaneously and seamlessly starting a flawless, emotive, wonderful performance. Truly, it was the crux of a mesmerising set from a group of people who clearly understand and love music. This was exemplified by the energy of the drummer, who, when visible through a mop of hair, was grinning from ear to ear.

Owen later came on to perform alongside old friends Caribou for the first time, having previously collaborated with Dan Snaith as well as covering him so well. The strings unfortunately did not have a huge amount of impact to the energetic live show, but it didn't bother me. As long as Owen was happy, and people were happy to be in the presence of such a man, that was all that mattered to me.

I really rated Ride, and I've only listened to Nowhere, and only 4 or 5 times at that. Really good watch. A lot of the people that stayed back were old school Ride fans, so the crowd were lapping it up. A shame the crowd was so small, but as it was quiet, this was probably a good thing! Seemed to get louder about halfway through, and the lights were doing wonders for me too, once it got properly dark.

My pleasure. Everyone who I went with hadn't heard of him beforehand and all left with smiles having loved it. One of them left with a copy on their iPod for the journey home! The whole concept of Owen's music is wonderful, and he knows it's clever, yet he still seems a humble man. It all works so well. It was the sort of gig where you could tell a lot of people were unfamiliar with the content but were very aware they were witnessing someone smart and special. Lots of eye lighting up at some of the clever loops, the plucking of the violin strings... excellent!

I will now gladly introduce a new segment to eFestivals: Tales by Tuna, part 1...

Yeah, this was the exact sort of thing I was looking for. I love that man, he's been quietly amazing for 10 years, and despite working with some MASSIVE names (Arcade Fire, Taylor Swift!) and winning hearts and minds whenever anybody experiences his work for the first time, he's still made a pretty good job of keeping himself a very very niche concern.

I bought tickets to Green Man festival for the first time this year, 90% of my reason was that they had Owen Pallett.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

Hi guys!

My name is Thais and I am an Events Management student at Greenwich University.

I need to ask you a big favourr as I am writing my dissertation about festival experiences and especially about the BST and DAY FIELD Festivals. In order to research about this topic deeply I will need to interview (by phone or skype people who have attended this year to one of these 2 events) and I would reallyyyyyyyyy appreciate if you say YES to participate on my rstudy!!! Pleaseeeeeeeee.

I don´t have much time, as I have to submit my dissertation by 15September but the interviews will be very easy, 10 min approx. and I will be asking you just about your experience in there...Very very easy!!!!

Pleaseeeee help mee  ;). If you participate I will invit you to a beer or whatever!hahaha

Thank you for your attention!

You can reply to me through this website, by email thais.serrano@hotmail.com, or facebook Thais Serrano

thank you!!

T