The Cure

Justiceforcedave

New album out next year and some dates in December. Is there any particular reason why they aren't being considered as a possibility?

Big band, haven't done it since 95. I know there are some quotes from Michael that get thrown about suggesting that he wasn't too fussed about their last set... but it's not like the festival or a band haven't ever gone back on something they've said before eh? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlAhAC-DTB4

i would love to see it happen but for some reason i just don't think it would happen.

i don't think they quite have that mainstream appeal that a pyramid headliner seems to need these days. I think they'd be better placed as an other stage headliner but that wouldn't happen either.

i reckon bestival really put their hands in their pockets for them when they headlined and rob da bank really got kind of personal and persistent in asking them to do it for many years before they agreed.

another thing that would be an issue is they dont normally do less than a 2hr 30min set i dont think, they love their long sets with several encores and would glastonbury allow them / want them to do this?

i think it would be a dealbreaker if they were limited to 2 hours or less

i would look for them more (like the strokes) as a primavera band. if the cure and strokes both were to play primavera i'd be out there again immediately.

Edited by Memory Man

I'd definitely go and see them, how on earth some of you think they could only do the other stage is beyond me.. They could only, and justifiably so, headline the pyramid

I love the Cure but I am not sure they could only headline the Pyramid. Their last album only scraped the top 40 and that was 6 years ago.

I love the Cure but I am not sure they could only headline the Pyramid. Their last album only scraped the top 40 and that was 6 years ago.

If some of the so called acts banded around on that headliners thread warranty Pyramid headline, then the Cure most certainly do. I would be there, it would be beautiful. So many albums, so many great songs. Be lovely if it happened..

If some of the so called acts banded around on that headliners thread warranty Pyramid headline, then the Cure most certainly do. I would be there, it would be beautiful. So many albums, so many great songs. Be lovely if it happened..

What do people think justifies being a pyramid headline act??

I am still hoping it will be Depeche Mode, but I realise that I am dreaming.

I would watch The Cure no matter what stage or time they were on. But I dont remember them being as big as people believe them to be.

But I dont remember them being as big as people believe them to be.

Headlined Reading a couple of years ago, shift tickets, great live...

But at the same time, while they would be brilliant I just can't see it with the sort of crowd the Pyramid usually attracts or the Eavi going for them.

I would watch The Cure no matter what stage or time they were on. But I dont remember them being as big as people believe them to be.

Back catalogue? Legacy? Performance Quality? All of these things.

I blame the Rolling Stones (and some of the unrealistic rumours that get thrown around) for mutating everyone's expectations of what a Pyramid headliner should be. Go back and look at the history of the festival, for every big name act like U2 or Rod Stewart that flops there's a Pulp or Muse who step to smash it out the water in their first headline slot (for the record I understand that The Cure do not fit into the latter category :) ).

What do I think justifies a headline act? For the pyramid I'd like to think it's the ability to put on a great performance that will be enjoyed by a large portion of the festival goers. That would certainly justify one for The Cure!

Edited by Justiceforcedave

Why would they accept anything other than main stage headliners? They headline everywhere they play

The Cure are big, but dull. If they played their pop songs, a tight 40 minutes, it'd be fine. Unfortunately they stretch it out for 2.5 tedious hours. Baffles me. Fat Bob Smith can write amazing catchy genius pop songs, but he seems embarrassed about that and saves them to the encore, making us wade through hours of dirge

Basically, he should come out, run through Lovecats, Killing an Arab, 10.15, A Forest, Why Can't I be You, Friday I'm in Love, Never Enough, Inbetween days, Close to You, Boys don't Cry and then disappear.

Would be wonderful.

Why would they accept anything other than main stage headliners? They headline everywhere they play

I put the cure on a popularity and legacy level that is the same as New Order in the UK. I would argue New Order were better but that is just my personal opinion.

I would never suggest that New Order were headline pyramid material so hence why I questioned the validity of The Cure.

People were questioning whether Depeche Mode could be worthy of a headline slot on the pyramid. Depeche Mode are bigger both in the UK and worldwide than either New Order or The Cure.

The Cure have not been a relevant band for over a decade.

Regardless though I would go and watch them.

The Cure are big, but dull. If they played their pop songs, a tight 40 minutes, it'd be fine. Unfortunately they stretch it out for 2.5 tedious hours. Baffles me. Fat Bob Smith can write amazing catchy genius pop songs, but he seems embarrassed about that and saves them to the encore, making us wade through hours of dirge

Basically, he should come out, run through Lovecats, Killing an Arab, 10.15, A Forest, Why Can't I be You, Friday I'm in Love, Never Enough, Inbetween days, Close to You, Boys don't Cry and then disappear.

Would be wonderful.

Brevity is indeed underrated. I saw them do 3+ hours at a optimus alive in Portugal. They were technically great, but if they'd knocked an hour of filler of the set it would have been much better.