BoomTown Fair 2015

gooner1990

I'll keep my fingers crossed, seeing as this year they hadn't addressed some of the issues from the previous year, they'd in fact gone the other way. ;)

There's a lot they do right, but they seem too focused on the fun things and forget some of the basics.

Yeah I can't disagree with that at all. Although, I do feel that the unpolished nature and in some cases unorganised chaos is really part of the charm of the festival for me.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input, many of the core team actually come from sound backgrounds so we have always modelled everything around that, not getting it right on some of the stages on the friday was a real downer for us, we can blame whether all day long but this is the UK so you need to be prepared for anything !!!

We spent all day Saturday re. orientating speakers on major stages and i'm glad to say levels felt much better Saturday and Sunday..

So you are aware we have just started working with an incredible new noise team who have been sound mapping the entire estate, advising on new system types and predicting sound levels which are already much better than before !! will update Neil as this develops but there is no other similar festival we can take advice from that comes close to having the number of individual sound stages we have so we have had to develop new noise management plans purely based on our own annual experience

for the question (more people means more noise / toilet problems) If we do increase slightly then it certainly does not mean more noise / infrastructure problems it simply means more revenue to get these things right ...I know there is talk of site wide compost loos which is exciting

Its worth noting that Boomtown is still completely independent, probably the only one of its size and this sets it in an incredible position where revenue will always go to the right places ....

hope all this helps and thanks again for the support

Intresting, so after a rather rapid expansion away from Glastonbury, Arcadia seem to be being dropped by the other festivals just as quick? Quite odd!

Makes you wonder if their time at Glastonbury is nearing an end to?

I did think the Port at Bestival was excellent and far better than Arcadia at Glastonbury. (Regardless of its location there :P). So hopefully Boomtown can do their own thing and replace it with something better!

Edited by LondonTom

Intresting, so after a rather rapid expansion away from Glastonbury, Arcadia seem to be being dropped by the other festivals just as quick? Quite odd!

They've got a lot of other events around Europe interested I believe, and are currently setting the spider up in Bangkok for an event there.

Arcadia seem to be being dropped by the other festivals just as quick? Quite odd!

I'm guessing it's about price. It can't be a cheap structure to move around and get assembled/disassembled - and at the end of the day, the actual entertainment of the acts can probably be done far cheaper in another structure (such as a marquee).

Also, the visual impact will lessen due to familiarity, so there's more reason to use it for a first time than there would be to continually use it. I guess that comes into things too, particularly with Boomtown that tries to be very creative with its site structures. From what they've said, they have plans for another spectacle as the replacement.

Makes you wonder if their time at Glastonbury is nearing an end to?

perhaps, tho the Glasto connection goes back for decades and i'm not sure that either side would want to give it up.

I'll probably do the same as last year - try again in the resales for Glastonbury and if unsucsessful go back to Boomtown.

I enjoyed it last year, but not sure if i would do it again solo and i must admit at 54 did feel a bit of an oldie

Didn't get glasto tiks this year and as I live in Pompey thought about doing Boomtown solo - is it friendly enough ? I am a young 40 year old !

Didn't get glasto tiks this year and as I live in Pompey thought about doing Boomtown solo - is it friendly enough ? I am a young 40 year old !

It is definitely a friendly festival and if you enjoy Glastonbury (away from the Pyramid Stage) then you will have a great time. It can be fairly chaotic at times, but that is part of the appeal rather than many of the corporate, sanitised affairs that seems to be the norm nowadays.

It wasn't my best festival experience, but that was more just me feeling my age a bit and not finding too much in common with my near neighbours. As mentioned in an earlier post if i moved 50 yards in any direction i would probably of had a better time.

I will definitely go back again as the positives far outweighed any negatives

cheers dude - first time in 10 years of no glasto tiks, never do the pyramid am strictly a naughty corner/acoustic/greenfield sort of bloke

They introduced a new acoustic/folky type stage this year and most of the festival is like a huge naughty corner, it sounds right up your street.

• 1 month later...