Is it tip to toe with tents? Or do you have a little personal space in oxylers?

pmdirectuk

Just thought as a newbie I'd ask as I quite like the idea of being able to sit on a chair outside the tent and absorb the surrounds and I'd feel awkward listening to someone bonking or trumping/snoring all night... Get enough of that with swmbo and leaving that behind for a week haha.

The older I've got the further away I camp. Quiter at night (but still plenty going on), room for a fire a safe distance away from your tent, reduced risk of tripping over guy ropes resulting in someone drunkenly falling into your tent whilst you sleep, less of a walk to and from car parks, condition of toilets seem (slightly) better, less of a que for the water taps (although you still get the idiots washing their hair there).I always try to put myself as close as possible to those scafold security towers,it's a deterrent to would be thief's.

It'll probably add 10 mins each way onto your daily commute to the main stages

Edited by justperfect

Just thought as a newbie I'd ask as I quite like the idea of being able to sit on a chair outside the tent and absorb the surrounds and I'd feel awkward listening to someone bonking or trumping/snoring all night... Get enough of that with swmbo and leaving that behind for a week haha.

some good shots of tents and areas at http://www.glastoearth.com/the-faq/faq-part-3
as others have advised ' the closer you get - the more dense it will be '
for a start - if you leave enough room for a few chairs ' unless you have cemented them in ' the odds are someone will come up with a small tent and camp in that space .
This year my Team and I was at Latitude
We had driven there so we were there a day before the majority of the crew - we were using three dome tents and they were pitched in a triangle which gave us a small common area in the middle.
All was fine until the next day - I did not see it as I was working but I got a call from one of my team asking me to go back to the tents - when I got there I discovered a smaller tent pitched in the small common area - so tight that two of the tent doors could only be reached by brushing against the other tent.
it was only on the next day did we spot the owner - so all four tents had to be moved in order that none of the tents were touching.
it was clear when everyone had arrived that someone got their sums wrong and the camping area was far smaller than was required - it was caused by not dividing up the overall area correctly and it will be re adjusted next year.
we were lucky as we were not far from the mess tent but many did struggle to even reach the path as it was so jam packed.
Without a doubt going back 25 years that crew area was the most packed I have ever seen it.
-------
you have to decide what is top of your priorities - if you want a bit of space then I would advise the less dense Bushy Ground { or camps close to that side }
number 2 is the one to save - where all the big sheds are { middle left } to the left of those sheds is Bushy Ground and to the right of the sheds is Oxylers and you can see its less dense at Bushy Ground.
sure its further away to the main stages but if you are using Gate D then that gate is closer when you enter/leave.

I was at Pennards this year (can't wait until January when I can say 'last year') and was there early as everybody was grabbing their pitch. I positioned my tent very carefully to ensure a little patch of green in front and to the side of where I pitched. I was feeling quite self-satisfied about it until I came out of my tent after setting up to find somebody had parked right in front of me and to the side as well. That's just the way of it in the central fields - it's anything goes.

I had a view right over to Lime Kiln and Manor Ground and grew quite envious of the acres of green space they had up there, although the walk to anywhere must have been a killer. You just have to remember that your tent is literally just there for sleep and to drop off/pick up supplies, and everyone is in the same boat, so embrace it and have an amazing time!

I was camped very close to the track right opposite the other stage this year. It was noisy 24 x 7 with people going back and forth to Arcadia all through the night. I barely got any sleep. We had 7 tents in a group and managed a space just big enough for 4 chairs in the middle, otherwise someone would have put a tent there. But otherwise it was very crowded. Would I go there again - NO

I haven't camped for a good few years now as I've gone for the creature comforts of a caravan in CV East. But when I did camp we opted for up towards the top of Big Ground where there was a bit more space.

We also took (prepares to duck here) a gazebo. But what we actually did was pitch a tent under the gazebo which someone slept in at night. Then by day we took the tent down leaving us with a communal area.

At first the stewards came round and said 'no gazebos' but once we explained the way we were doing it, they accepted it.

How strange! So what did you do with your tent and the bedding/stuff inside it? Just have that out in the open under the gazebo?

The tent was taken down by day and stowed along with the bedding stuff in one of the other tents. It was a bit of a hassle but well worth to have a communal chilling/social area.

I camped up in Oxlyers on the Wednesday at about midday and we struggled to even find a space just to fit our tent. By the time we'd come back that night there were a load more tents, guy ropes all crossing, barely any room to move. I'd still camp there next year though because I liked how close we were to everything.