Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

16 hours ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Line ups released for Printworks, some decent looking nights and appears to be doing more daytime stuff, some decent nights on there 

daphni / floating points one looks ok

rest shit and all overpriced (minimum £25 and up). and all during the day.

If this is the future of london clubs i fucking dispair. commercial partying at its most absolute blatant. the lineups and DJs performing are so incredibly predictable.

Edited by Memory Man
  • Upvote 1

The thing is, there are a decent number of London clubs doing different things, Phonox, XOYO, Oval Space, Corsica, Studio Spaces, Autumn Street, Pickle Factory etc, I think Printworks caters for a certain element of the whole scene, it looks more like a WHP type thing transported to London. It will live and die on it's soundsystem and line ups I think.

And it does open up some good possibilities for all day partying, you could go from there at 10pm, be in Phonox for £5 and stay there until 4am, then you would be able to go to Fabric for cheap until 7am or maybe later, you could do almost 24 hours worth of partying, but it will cost a lot of money.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

daphni / floating points one looks ok

rest shit and all overpriced (minimum £25 and up). and all during the day.

If this is the future of london clubs i fucking dispair. commercial partying at its most absolute blatant. the lineups and DJs performing are so incredibly predictable.

Steady on pal, you may be confusing 'shit' with artists that aren't to your taste.

I like the all day idea, Bonobo did that at his Outlier festival in Tobacco Dock last March and it worked a treat.  Is £22.50 really that outrageous for 10 hours with extensive lineups?

It was only a few weeks ago I was discussing that I am now old and would love some daytime clubbing. And on the same Overground line as where I live too. This might even drag my clubbing buddy out of clubbing retirement.

Nothing too much to get excited about so far, but will be keeping a close eye on those TBAs. And the prices.

3 hours ago, Untz said:

It was only a few weeks ago I was discussing that I am now old and would love some daytime clubbing. And on the same Overground line as where I live too. This might even drag my clubbing buddy out of clubbing retirement.

Nothing too much to get excited about so far, but will be keeping a close eye on those TBAs. And the prices.

The daytime stuff is pretty ideal for me to mostly because I have to travel for an hour or so just to get into London from Hampshire so being able to get the last train home is a plus for a lot of my mates that have kids etc, and takes about £10 off of the travel costs. I wouldn't want to always be doing that sort of clubbing obviously, but I can definitely see the appeal.  

On 08/12/2016 at 11:31 AM, Morgs74 said:

Steady on pal, you may be confusing 'shit' with artists that aren't to your taste.

not confused over predictable, obvious and dull though. I just think people are more readily prepared to accept mediocrity these days.

Thankfully london does still have some parties run by decent people for the right reasons, like Thunder and Black Atlantic - as well as many parties at the venues mentioned by Matt.

What i dislike about the printworks is the wall to wall coverage by Resident advisor and other media outlets claiming it to be the next landmark venue and party series when its obviously anything but. They just have a big marketing budget and promotors with wads of cash behind them.

Edited by Memory Man
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Memory Man said:

not confused over predictable, obvious and dull though. I just think people are more readily prepared to accept mediocrity these days.

Thankfully london does still have some parties run by decent people for the right reasons, like Thunder and Black Atlantic - as well as many parties at the venues mentioned by Matt.

What i dislike about the printworks is the wall to wall coverage by Resident advisor and other media outlets claiming it to be the next landmark venue and party series when its obviously anything but. They just have a big marketing budget and promotors with wads of cash behind them.

So who would you like to see getting booked for these sorts of events? Much like a festival, these places live and die on their line ups, if people don't go then they close down.

I would give them the benefit of the doubt for the time being, we have no idea what the sound is going to be like, no idea what the venue will be like, all we have to go on is the line ups, which admittedly look like any other big event that has occurred anywhere in the UK in the last 2-3 years. I know what you're saying with a lot of it, but I just think that they're just trying to cater to a crowd, and if they curate some more interesting line ups then fair play to them.

Christ on a Bike, Rival Console's Night Melody is bloody class.

What chance of a live set and several DJ outings for Ryan next year on the Farm? The thought of dancing to his stuff somewhere small and lovely in the middle of the night is almost too much to bear.

:)

Ben

Edit: just wrote to his manager telling him to get it sorted!

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

What chance of a live set and several DJ outings for Ryan next year on the Farm? The thought of dancing to his stuff somewhere small and lovely in the middle of the night is almost too much to bear.

Ben

Totally agree!  Night Melody is a thing of beauty

17 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

Would be very good indeed. I reckon somewhere like the rabbit hole would be luverly. Or another small cosy tent.

Sad news about Nicolas Jaar. Hopefully it's just a temporary exclusive. I saw him on Monday in Manchester and it was wonderful. He is just ridiculously good live. I have never heard sound sound so good as well.

17 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Hence you only posting about it at 8pm the following day, Mez...

Glad you had an ace night. #jealous

Ben
x

That's also to do with the 24hr round trip from Glasgow, it was one hell of a mission

But trimester finished on Friday and what better way to celebrate!! Thanks Benjamin 

17 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Very very good night at WHP last night, no problems with getting in/security or anything

Not often you can see MCDE and Jeff Mills in the same evening 

MCDE was absolutely incredible wasn't he?! Hammer did a good job earlier in the evening too.

I think the fact he was up against bicep worked well as although it was still busy in room 2 it wasn't the crush it might have otherwise been.

Really wish midland had followed him though rather than being on the graveyard shift, was knackered by then. Shame Joy O had the warm up set too, that was a bit beige from him but not really his fault I guess.

Edited by Memory Man

24 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

MCDE was absolutely incredible wasn't he?! Hammer did a good job earlier in the evening too.

I think the fact he was up against bicep worked well as although it was still busy in room 2 it wasn't the crush it might have otherwise been.

Really wish midland had followed him though rather than being on the graveyard shift, was knackered by then. Shame Joy O had the warm up set too, that was a bit beige from him but not really his fault I guess.

Yep ive seen him twice in the past month and its been superb each time, im a huge fan 

Room 2 was my place to be all evening, until the last 45 mins or so of Jeff Mills, as i couldnt leave without seeing The Bells. I think they planned the evening very well as it was never overly mobbed or sweaty at any point, which was class

This is my favourite track to come out of it, MCDE and Midland both played it 

36 minutes ago, payneruk said:

As terrible as this may sound, it isn't WHP fault, they a lot of security to try and prevent people taking drugs in, they have people handing out leaflets telling people what to do to keep them and their friends safe in the result they do take drugs, they have water for sale and free refills, ice poles/chill out areas etc for people that might struggling with the heat or whatever, even sweets/chewing gum for peoples whos jaws are giving it the clappers. I dont think they really could do much more to help themselves, there does become a point where it is ultimately down to the people who are attending to watch out for themselves and their friends. There is so much information available now telling people drugs are stronger than they've ever been and it's obvious its catching naive clubbers out often, you only need to check the news every so often to see another young person has died from taking drugs. There needs to be more push for education now than ever, especially with charities such as The Loop doing a massive amount to try and educate people and try and give them they advice and help they need, now the government just need to open their eyes and realise prevention isn't really working so education is undoubtedly the way to go about it 

1 hour ago, big__phil said:

Not sure if this is the right thread or not really, but Justice are playing Brixton Academy in September. I nearly missed out, but there were a few tickets left on Gigantic.com. Worth a look if you haven't got them already.

Update: Gigantic are out of stalls standing as are SeeTickets. TicketWeb have stalls standing available as I write. Got two but really hoping for an appearance on the farm

2 minutes ago, SPTFRE said:

Update: Gigantic are out of stalls standing as are SeeTickets. TicketWeb have stalls standing available as I write. Got two but really hoping for an appearance on the farm

Same here, but I can't take the chance! Haven't seem them yet, and need to put that right. Could always sell the tickets if I see them in June.

• Upvote 1

Just a little shout out, guys.

Do any of you do club nights in Birmingham? I don't want to sound too needy, but I really don't have any mates who are interested in a quality techno all-nighter. As a result, my opportunities for nights out like that end up really limited :(.

So, if anyone is planning anything in the new year that they know I'd like, and could bear me tagging along, I'd really appreciate getting out with other people who like a six-hour techno session as much as I do...

Ben

• Upvote 1