Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

1 hour ago, Mezhyp1 said:

It can be once the uni year is back up and running, which it just will be then. 

If it's just a residents night it can get a little weird and shit. Keep your eye out for something being announced they don't usually announce that far in advance 

I saw altern8 is playing the Tuesday after which I would have loved! We'll see closer to the time.

On 8/13/2017 at 1:10 PM, Matt42 said:

Corsica afters was one of the best events I've been to this year. Ben UFO especially going for it

I saw that there were queue problems. I walked straight in but then maybe I turned up pretty early

The queues from around 2pm were really bad, we spent 2 hours in it, I know people who were in queues for 4 hours, the whole festival for me was an absolute shambles, I wish I had got tickets for one of the after parties because for some reason they had dedicated queues for those people on the day at Sunfall. I actually had a quote in the Evening Standard coverage about the queues and they used a video and some still images I sent them, it was honestly really dangerous at some points, the metal barriers they used to try and snake the queue at the front we completely buckled from the crushes, I know at least 2 people that collapsed too due to the crushing. 

Once we got inside the festival, well, the bars had 30 minute queues, the toilets were a mess, the food began to run out about 8pm and the sound in the tents was dreadful whenever we were in them, I think Helena Hauff had some ok sound if you got to the right spot but all in all I was really disappointed by the festival itself, its such a shame because the team behind it do so many good things right in their clubs, whether it was oversold this year, or something else went wrong I don't know, but i don't think I would go back again, I'm not sure they would gain a licence for it next year after this years issues tbf.

Just now, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

MCDE next resident at XOYO. Anyone had any luck working out the other names on the lineup?

this is incredible news isn't it

no idea on the lineups, but the opening and closing appear to be selling well on the basis that they are usually all night affairs.

to be honest i would rather go to an all night MCDE than the ones where he has guests! Will need to make it down for one or two as he is probably my favourite DJ of the moment.

1 hour ago, Memory Man said:

this is incredible news isn't it

no idea on the lineups, but the opening and closing appear to be selling well on the basis that they are usually all night affairs.

to be honest i would rather go to an all night MCDE than the ones where he has guests! Will need to make it down for one or two as he is probably my favourite DJ of the moment.

Yea for me as well that is solely the reason I am going, anything else will simply be a bonus

3 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

Lost Village has utterly ruined me. Felt like it had lost a little bit of the weirder, more rough around the edges side of it this year but it's still a great festival and I had a fucking great time. 

Moderat, Fatima Yamaha, Bicep and Avalon Emerson all smashed it. 

enjoyed myself as well but it wasn't and isn't the best festival you will go to. Musical highlights of LV were (unsurprisingly for me): Erol, Soulwax, Greg Wilson, Jackmaster and The Black Madonna . (The tribal banquet was epic as well but I only got to do this as I got an unexpected bonus at work and could afford to pay for it!) Also had some great comedians and the discussions with Bill Brewster and Greg Wilson were great to watch.

Many of the crowd were very nice and friendly but much of them were also there just to take loads of drugs and were obviously not really that into the music. We very unfortunately got camped near lots of people who were just off their faces. Its fine if you're doing it too but when you're not it does get a bit tiresome.... showing my age!!

They also expanded the capacity of the festival so the stages in the woods got pretty rammed late at night as they have no way of making these stages larger, due to the setting.

The setup doesn't lend itself too well unlike Glastonbury as the music goes off at 2am, therefore you have people up and about in the campsites till 4/5am when their drugs begin to wear off just being annoying. Whereas at glasto you can be occupied until gone 6/7am without going back to camp.

Perhaps I need to try something smaller and more music focused like Field Manouvres or, ideally, freerotation, but would probably never be able to get tickets for the latter.

Overall, really pretty good and they got loads of things right, I just think it has a bit of a confused idea of what it wants to be (Boutique festival vs massive rave up) and just lacks that X Factor that I can't describe. It seems to have a pretty loyal following and they do seem to genuinely take on board feedback so it will probably go on to be incredibly successful but at this point I wouldn't go back next year - not really a massive reflection on LV just that the festival market is very crowded and the same acts seem to play everywhere. They don't / can't really book acts that are hard to see.

It also makes me bemoan the loss of Bloc and the Bugged Out weekender as I felt the lineups were quite similar (apart from the comedy) and I enjoyed the holiday camp weekenders more than LV.

Edited by Memory Man

6 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

Lost Village has utterly ruined me. Felt like it had lost a little bit of the weirder, more rough around the edges side of it this year but it's still a great festival and I had a fucking great time. 

Moderat, Fatima Yamaha, Bicep and Avalon Emerson all smashed it. 

Avalon Emerson is on tremendous form just now, haven't seen anyone say a bad word about her in ages. Also her Octo Octa remix is a gem 

Saw Dixon for the first time at the weekend, I get it now 

3 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Perhaps I need to try something smaller and more music focused like Field Manouvres or, ideally, freerotation, but would probably never be able to get tickets for the latter.

Really, really want to become a freerotation member. If anyone can help you'll be my friend forever. 

12 hours ago, Memory Man said:

enjoyed myself as well but it wasn't and isn't the best festival you will go to. Musical highlights of LV were (unsurprisingly for me): Erol, Soulwax, Greg Wilson, Jackmaster and The Black Madonna . (The tribal banquet was epic as well but I only got to do this as I got an unexpected bonus at work and could afford to pay for it!) Also had some great comedians and the discussions with Bill Brewster and Greg Wilson were great to watch.

Many of the crowd were very nice and friendly but much of them were also there just to take loads of drugs and were obviously not really that into the music. We very unfortunately got camped near lots of people who were just off their faces. Its fine if you're doing it too but when you're not it does get a bit tiresome.... showing my age!!

They also expanded the capacity of the festival so the stages in the woods got pretty rammed late at night as they have no way of making these stages larger, due to the setting.

The setup doesn't lend itself too well unlike Glastonbury as the music goes off at 2am, therefore you have people up and about in the campsites till 4/5am when their drugs begin to wear off just being annoying. Whereas at glasto you can be occupied until gone 6/7am without going back to camp.

Overall, really pretty good and they got loads of things right, I just think it has a bit of a confused idea of what it wants to be (Boutique festival vs massive rave up) and just lacks that X Factor that I can't describe. It seems to have a pretty loyal following and they do seem to genuinely take on board feedback so it will probably go on to be incredibly successful but at this point I wouldn't go back next year - not really a massive reflection on LV just that the festival market is very crowded and the same acts seem to play everywhere. They don't / can't really book acts that are hard to see.

It also makes me bemoan the loss of Bloc and the Bugged Out weekender as I felt the lineups were quite similar (apart from the comedy) and I enjoyed the holiday camp weekenders more than LV.

you should definitely try Houghton next year. Music was top class, the sound and location was amazing and the music was continuous- it was a 72 hour non-stop party but despite that the crowd were very chilled and not too 'messy.'

Edited by joeh

On 29/08/2017 at 0:27 PM, Memory Man said:

This pretty much echoes my thoughts. I had a great weekend and saw some top sets but found the number of people there for reasons other than the music and the early finish a little frustrating. Next year Houghton for me for sure.

I was also at the Bill Brewster talk (highlight), sat right up front next to Nina :) 

22 hours ago, joeh said:

you should definitely try Houghton next year. Music was top class, the sound and location was amazing and the music was continuous- it was a 72 hour non-stop party but despite that the crowd were very chilled and not too 'messy.'

it did sound absolutely class Houghton, from the reviews I read. I will bear it in mind for sure.

5 hours ago, OBface said:

This pretty much echoes my thoughts. I had a great weekend and saw some top sets but found the number of people there for reasons other than the music and the early finish a little frustrating. Next year Houghton for me for sure.

I was also at the Bill Brewster talk (highlight), sat right up front next to Nina :) 

We were sat on the right hand side! small world :D I thought it was ace that she stuck around for it.

i still don't get why, given the myriad of other options in London, why anyone would bother with printworks. Ok if you are big into your techno then fair enough for the blueprint one but the rest of them are just beyond dull & generic lineups by numbers.

but they had better blueprint lineups at studio spaces which was a smaller venue so not sure how that works.

Edited by Memory Man

9 hours ago, Memory Man said:

but they had better blueprint lineups at studio spaces which was a smaller venue so not sure how that works.

The Blueprint line up is a little disappointing considering the fantastic nights they've had over the bank holiday in previous years (and which I mourned the loss of this year). Still got tickets like. 

Awful lot of dross on the other November line ups.

10 hours ago, Memory Man said:

We were sat on the right hand side! small world :D I thought it was ace that she stuck around for it.

In which case I probably have a (sneakily taken) photo of you. Very small world!

I'm fairly underwhelmed by the autumn line ups so far. WHP are probably the best but then it wouldn't be my first choice venue. I'll likely come down for one of the MCDE/XOYO dates mind.

36 minutes ago, OBface said:

I'm fairly underwhelmed by the autumn line ups so far. WHP are probably the best but then it wouldn't be my first choice venue. I'll likely come down for one of the MCDE/XOYO dates mind.

Yep. Nights in London seem to sell out really quickly now as well - that Hessle Audio takeover of Bussey went very fast. Found myself sticking to Oval Space/Pickle Factory/Corsica the past year, really. Though don't go out as much as I used to :(