Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

25 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I'm only going off what someone said in this thread, can't remember how but they explained it and made sense.

Also, as I thought they just said they were going by the Downlow bookings in the past, which to me was just a stab in the dark. Hopefully they are Friday, but I don't think it's known 

Going back a page or two but, why is everyone complaining about jump-up DnB like there isn't the much more sophisticated variety (described below) on the bill?

23 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

It can be absolutely brilliant. Dark, glitchy, non-vocal DnB (with not a fucking hype man within 30 milers of the place) can be fantastic. 

That's exactly how I'd describe Kasra and Critical Soundsystem, as well as Icicle and Ulterior Motive who are all there. Jump up can do one though, and there should be much more and much better proper techno :/

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Cieran said:

Oh wicked! Thursday is already looking reasonably stacked for me and that's without seeing who is on at Block 9!! 

Think RA just has Thursday as default, and I don't think it's techno L U C Y, if you read a few posts on the last page you might be disappointed 

3 hours ago, Joj said:

Going back a page or two but, why is everyone complaining about jump-up DnB like there isn't the much more sophisticated variety (described below) on the bill?

That's exactly how I'd describe Kasra and Critical Soundsystem, as well as Icicle and Ulterior Motive who are all there. Jump up can do one though, and there should be much more and much better proper techno :/

Hey, sorry was interested to check out the DnB artists you mentioned, but I can't see them on the commons poster. Where are they playing?

Am still hoping for Marky or Black Sun Empire personally. Fingers crossed for at least one! 

13 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Hey, sorry was interested to check out the DnB artists you mentioned, but I can't see them on the commons poster. Where are they playing?

Am still hoping for Marky or Black Sun Empire personally. Fingers crossed for at least one! 

Howdy,  I spotted them over here: http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/glastonbury/2017/lineup.shtml

Kasra (label boss for Critical) and friends are playing Avalon on Thursday, and Guidance (Ulterior Motive, Icicle, Skeptical) are playing at Clash (day TBC).

14 minutes ago, Joj said:

Howdy,  I spotted them over here: http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/glastonbury/2017/lineup.shtml

Kasra (label boss for Critical) and friends are playing Avalon on Thursday, and Guidance (Ulterior Motive, Icicle, Skeptical) are playing at Clash (day TBC).

Awesome :D Thanks!! It's been a few years since I was really hot all all the DnB guys, so will check this lot out now!

19 minutes ago, Joj said:

Cool found them...although it looks like they're both on Clash now, can't see Kasra on Avalon? But that might just be me :)

8 hours ago, naughtygeorgie said:

I read this thread with interest, but I've no real idea of half the acts you chat about as my electric knowledge is nowhere near up to date..

Particularly enjoy @bennyhana22 posts because your passion is so contagious, but yesterday I felt so upset on your behalf after the Common drop, I'm actually concerned for your festival enjoyment this year, you seemed so dejected :sorry:

Really hope you are back to your usual bouncing with excitement giddy self soon :yahoo:

8 hours ago, Untz said:

Last time I checked, RA were listing some other acts for Thursday who definitely weren't playing then so I think the day thing can be ignored. 

Extrapolating on that, the fact there's no other similar DJs and the odd typing and I don't think it's him.

Sorry to be a misery.

7 hours ago, Untz said:

Good searching! I had spent ages googling but didn't get anywhere.

Yeah, that'll be it. Another stab to Ben's techno dream.

And so Glastonbury poops on my techno plans, once again!

@naughtygeorgie - thank you for your lovely, kind words. I am fine, of course. I was, in truth, being a bit of a brat and a bit of a tit! Saying that, I still stand by the objective observation that there really is a paucity of techno compared to so many other genres. But, I know that I'll have just the best time. Maybe it'll just be in slightly fewer areas/venues that I'd hoped for this year.

I presume that LBHQ will knock off at 0300h this year, being in Glade - what do you think?

@Untz - and there was me, previously seeing RA as a pretty blooming professional outfit on whose information one could safely rely! No wonder Luca didn't respond to my tweet. He's probably blocked me as some kind of nutcase.

I've decided that there's no point in trying to make any proper plans until we get the full line-up. I mean, I never really do anyway, but  with the genuinely massive change of distribution of late-night dance stuff, it's quite hard to get your head around. Glastonbury's attempt to spread people over the site from 0000-0300h is only going to increase my mileage and the complexity of my schedule.

I've also decided that in addition to the regular BenFinder®, I'm going to create a single sheet solely for each night, with a line for each of the 6-8 dance venues at which I could see myself being, with the line-up for each shown against one another, hour-by-hour. That will allow me to make sure my sets are as contiguous as possible with maximum minutes danced each night.

@Joj - thanks for those heads-ups regarding some darker more industrial DnB. I can see myself targeting a set or two for variety and fun. Hopefully, the sort of artists that you have suggested will attract the sort of knowledgable crowd that genuinely appreciate the best of the genre (and not the jump up shite!). Enjoying listening to some Ulterior Motive this afternoon and reckons that, when nicely peaking, I could happily sweat a couple of hours stuff like this.

So, it's all to play for my little dance beauties. Keep the Faith.

Let's see what Her Ladyship, The Spider™ has got to say for herself...

:)

Ben

I like jump up...there I've said it, my guilty secret. Actually I couldn't give a frogs arse who knows that. But it is all about time and place isn't it?

Time - very late when mashed

place - Boomtown sector 6

It's like people who look down at those that watch chic flicks, or read holiday beach books....who's to say that what you like is "better" than anyone else's choice? 

I like lots of genres of music for all different reasons and use different genres for different occasions - This year I have discovered that deep house or trance is brilliant running music. I can lose a good hour or two dancing to psytrance of an afternoon. So yer I might be one of those tourists at the SE corner, not because it's the place to be seen, but because I'm curious and want to dip my toe into different music.

I just needed to say that......I'll get my coat.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

I'll join in with the good words for Critical Sound. They're playing Shangri-la btw, not Avalon. Ivy Lab is Critical and playing The Common, though. Break is also meant to be very good from that list. Dimension put on a great set when I saw him around Christmas too. Noisia probably speak for themselves at this stage, though it can be a bit hectic for the sake of it at times. 

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:

I like jump up...there I've said it, my guilty secret. Actually I couldn't give a frogs arse who knows that. But it is all about time and place isn't it?

Time - very late when mashed

place - Boomtown sector 6

It's like people who look down at those that watch chic flicks, or read holiday beach books....who's to say that what you like is "better" than anyone else's choice? 

I like lots of genres of music for all different reasons and use different genres for different occasions - This year I have discovered that deep house or trance is brilliant running music. I can lose a good hour or two dancing to psytrance of an afternoon. So yer I might be one of those tourists at the SE corner, not because it's the place to be seen, but because I'm curious and want to dip my toe into different music.

I just needed to say that......I'll get my coat.

No need for your coat Dee, you nailed it. Far too much muso snobbery on these boards sometimes. One person's techno is another persons Jump-Up DnB, just dance and be happy

• Upvote 1