Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

7 minutes ago, willsnewman said:

Well, I was hoping that this year might feature my first venture into the temple. I guess not...

Swap Wow and the Temple I say.

Holding out for the good ol' Beat Hotel and Stonebridge now...

Going by last years beat hotel line up, we should be absolutely spoilt for choice again this year I reckon. 

They had a quite a lot of people play who only played there, so expect some fresh names :)

5 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Disco wins!

It's about time you discovered the roots of the genre you so dearly love, benny boy! 

But it just can't TRANSPORT me, BH!!!

I need to get INSIDE the pulse, consumed by its robotic drive and repetition until, just the slightest addition of acidic squelch makes me grin, turn to a like-minded disciple, gently nod at him/her, wordlessly acknowledging "yes, you know, don't you? You KNOW". 

Now that, my darling thread comrades, is techno. Disco, for all its qualities and virtues will, I fear, never be able to deliver that. 

Just writing this is giving me a VISCERAL feeling of butterflies that leaves me desperate to hit a dance floor. There's pretty much nothing on earth that triggers that specific response in me. I often reflect that it is, really, quite bonkers...

Ben x

Edited by bennyhana22

We cross posted :) 

I had intended my post to immediately follow Black Hole's and instead you managed to reply with a convincing explanation of why you need pure techno and nothing else.

(Still think you should give disco a go though - a million miles from tech house and transportative in a different way).

4 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I need to get INSIDE the pulse, consumed by its robotic drive and repetition until, just the slightest addition of acidic squelch makes me grin, turn to a like-minded disciple, gently nod at him/her, wordlessly acknowledging "yes, you know, don't you? You KNOW". 

Now that, my darling thread comrades, is techno. Disco, for all its qualities and virtues will, I fear, never be able to deliver that. 

Just writing this is giving me a VISCERAL feeling of butterflies that leaves me desperate to hit a dance floor. There's pretty much nothing on earth that triggers that specific response in me. I often reflect that it is, really, quite bonkers...

Ben x

You should donate yourself to science Ben, you'd solve the energy crisis in seconds - just plug you in play a bit of techno and watch the buzz. - would be like monsters inc but with techno instead of screams/laughs.

2 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben x

The best DJ's I've seen are the ones that can combine Disco with house, techno and all sorts of other genres. Hunee and Antal are absolute dons at this and knock both Ben Klock and Marcell Dettmann out of the park in terms of creativity behind the decks, and they are mostly Vinyl DJ's, so there's no cheating. 

I'm gonna link you to their Boiler Room sets. The Antal set at Dekmantel is widely considered as the best one going. I dare you to tell me that you wouldn't have a good time dancing to these:

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mjsell said:

You should donate yourself to science Ben, you'd solve the energy crisis in seconds - just plug you in play a bit of techno and watch the buzz. - would be like monsters inc but with techno instead of screams/laughs.

:)

4 minutes ago, OBface said:

We cross posted :) 

I had intended my post to immediately follow Black Hole's and instead you managed to reply with a convincing explanation of why you need pure techno and nothing else.

(Still think you should give disco a go though - a million miles from tech house and transportative in a different way).

It's not that I am closed-minded to non-techno, it's just this mesmeric trance I get into. I can be there desperate for a wee, completely unable to remove myself from the floor. "Just one more track and I'll go" I'll tell myself. Half an hour later I'm still there applauding the DJ as the next set fires up. It's ridiculous really, and the closest I get to spiritual/religious awareness. 

But hey, it's all about a shared experience too, so let's see how that full line up shapes the BenFinder®. Man, I need that to drop now...

Ben x

1 minute ago, BlackHole2006 said:

The best DJ's I've seen are the ones that can combine Disco with house, techno and all sorts of other genres. Hunee and Antal are absolute dons at this and knock both Ben Klock and Marcell Dettmann out of the park in terms of creativity behind the decks, and they are mostly Vinyl DJ's, so there's no cheating. 

I'm gonna link you to their Boiler Room sets. The Antal set at Dekmantel is widely considered as the best one going. I dare you to tell me that you wouldn't have a good time dancing to these:

On it, BH. Full, open minded report to follow. 

Ben

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Nailed it.

Have to admit I've been bored by Klock on more than one occasion.

3 minutes ago, OBface said:

Nailed it.

Have to admit I've been bored by Klock on more than one occasion.

Been off Techno for a while now, I have more respect for DJ's like Jayda G who are unpredictable and challenge the average club goer into trying something new.

That, IMHO takes more courage and skill than playing standard minimal/insustrial techno for an hour or two. 

39 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Its so much fun trying to describe those emotions that swirl up inside you. :D I know exactly what you mean. I can enjoy myself at most events, especially a bit of disco or house, but techno takes you to places and when it hits the spot that feeling of total satisfaction and, to some extend, purpose is unrivalled. 

1 minute ago, OffshoreToon said:

Its so much fun trying to describe those emotions that swirl up inside you. :D I know exactly what you mean. I can enjoy myself at most events, especially a bit of disco or house, but techno takes you to places and when it hits the spot that feeling of total satisfaction and, to some extend, purpose is unrivalled. 

And, once again, my apologies for having run out of up votes, Toon...

Ben

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

What are the chances of Palms Trax doing  Beat Hotel? Was expecting to see Floating Points/Four Tet/Daphnie/Palms Trax this year. 

He currently has the whole weekend free on resident advisor, definitely could see him there.

Flopo is playing a festival in Sweden but again could definitely see him there and/or Stonebridge, although I feel like he doesn't play every year so dunno.

Four tet said that coachella was all he had been booked for a while back as he was well in music production mode but who knows.

Daphni is in Amsterdam on Sunday b2b with hunee so is possible but he wouldn't be playing with hunee. 

1 hour ago, your mother said:

He currently has the whole weekend free on resident advisor, definitely could see him there.

Flopo is playing a festival in Sweden but again could definitely see him there and/or Stonebridge, although I feel like he doesn't play every year so dunno.

Four tet said that coachella was all he had been booked for a while back as he was well in music production mode but who knows.

Daphni is in Amsterdam on Sunday b2b with hunee so is possible but he wouldn't be playing with hunee. 

Nice one. If I could pick just one from that lot it'd be Palms Trax probs. Beat Hotel/Stonebridge or bust! As much as I hate the phrase I'm keen on some 'selectors' as opposed to DJ's who tend to stick to a couple of genres.