Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

ben ufo is easily one of the best DJ's in the world. I have to say I prefer his solo sets to hessle audio most of the time though, he is a bit more varied and plays some house as well as bass, techno the lot. Hessle is a bit darker and heavier which is fine but i cant do just darkness for a whole night, need something tuneful and uplifting

he played 2.5-3 hours in leeds on his own in December and it was one of the best sets i've ever seen and (without bragging) i have seen a lot of DJs over the years.

Edited by Memory Man

ben ufo is easily one of the best DJ's in the world. I have to say I prefer his solo sets to hessle audio most of the time though, he is a bit more varied and plays some house as well as bass, techno the lot. Hessle is a bit darker and heavier which is fine but i cant do just darkness for a whole night, need something tuneful and uplifting

Yep I'd agree with that.

Never listened to Hessle before, but discovered Ben UFO through his 4 hour vinyl only Boiler Room DJ set which was a thing to behold. Boiler Room has kind of opened my eyes to loads of great DJs.

Hell of a lot of vinyl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAoLPANG4tE

Edited by BlackHole2006

Hitting up some Hessle Audio at the moment.

Nice, bleepy, trancy, Yup, could do several hours to this at night.

I think I saw Ben UFO at Green Man last year (I saw a LOT of stuff...).

thanks, Tuna

Will probably ask for more guidance when the DJs are announced properly. It's just that, with so much on at GF, there is a LOT of stuff around at the mo that just doesn't do it for me. As I said, slower more dubsteppy, grimey stuff just leaves me cold. So it'd be nice to target a few DJs/producers every night that are likely to be doing the sort of stuff that I go for.

Ben

Check out Swamp 81 if you haven't already. Lots of good stuff on that label especially by Paleman.

Edited by EZYSEY

My model exactly, chaps.

Bands, bands bands until the main stages close, then off in search of some loud, dark, heavy dance stuff for hours and hours at night. Bed around 5-6am. Brief sleep. Repeat 3-4 times. Go home. Collapse.

Ben

can confirm, will be doing exactly this from wednesday through to sunday also

can't wait!

Right chaps.

So, I like my dance music but, tend to focus on it mostly for the annual festival I attend - i.e. I don't listen to a lot outside of that environment as there are only so many hours in the day and I listen to so much non-dance mucis.

Given that, some tips, please for artists to listen to prior to GF, and possibly target seeing.

I am a long term Orbital fan. Am very much hoping that Paul will be there with 8.58. I like stuff like Luke Abbott (lots of analogue synths) and lots of old school techno. I like acid too, and am excited about Phuture playing. Not a dubstep/grime fan, really. I like minimalist, non-vocal, beaty, bassy stuff. Not a fan of cheese - for example, I find things like the 2 Bears a bit two-beat cheesy. I guess I am not a fan of stuff that gets very popular. BPM wise, I need it high enough to be able to bloody dance, so Ibiza rate stuff is good, even though I often find that a bit 'populist ravy'.

Right, after that garbled crap, who should I be checking out?

Ben

any excuse to post this;

Ayla - Nirwana

Solarstone - Pure

The Future Sound of London - Accelerator

Edited by northernbro
  • Upvote 1

Never listened to Hessle before, but discovered Ben UFO through his 4 hour vinyl only Boiler Room DJ set which was a thing to behold. Boiler Room has kind of opened my eyes to loads of great DJs.

Hell of a lot of vinyl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAoLPANG4tE

You can't beat him, the guy is so into what he does, his mixing and selection are just in another world. Every time I have seen him play he's been completely different whether it was solo or with Hessle, you never know what to expect!