Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

Hi guys

2015 will be my first Glastonbury and, whilst I reckon The Park will be my most frequented stage (bit of a Green Man/End of the Road/Latitude veteran), I am also very partial to spending several continuous hours at night in a dance haze.

Whilst trying to find out as much as possible, it appears that Silver Hayes is likely to offer me lots of that. Is that right? How much of the nighttime Silver Hayes stuff is DJ-ing, and how much live electronic performances? And is there much of that in the naughty SE corner?

For reference, I could happily jiggle about to a 2-hour Luke Abbott set.

Advice, please!

Ben

Would suggest Silver Hayes is more liekley to be DJ sets rather than live performances. Larger acts like Disclosure, Prodigy etc are more likely to do live sets on The Other stage or a different stage not associated with the dance area.

For sure though you will be spoilt for choice when it comes to electrocinca/dance as the general dance area part of Glastonbury is comparable in size to some stand alone dance festivals

Whilst trying to find out as much as possible, it appears that Silver Hayes is likely to offer me lots of that. Is that right? How much of the nighttime Silver Hayes stuff is DJ-ing, and how much live electronic performances? And is there much of that in the naughty SE corner?

Can't tell you much about Silver Hayes at night but there's tons of electronica/dance going on in the SE corner til 6am.

you should also consider Arcadia for your late night dancing needs.

Definitely this. Just down the hill from the Park too.

There's also the Stonebridge Bar in the Park itself that has some electronica/dance.

Basically, you're in for an absolute treat.

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

Hi guys

2015 will be my first Glastonbury and, whilst I reckon The Park will be my most frequented stage (bit of a Green Man/End of the Road/Latitude veteran), I am also very partial to spending several continuous hours at night in a dance haze.

For reference, I could happily jiggle about to a 2-hour Luke Abbott set.

Advice, please!

Ben

Silver Hayes is great for DJs and dance music, but it's up and running all day so at night it's definitely worth heading over to the SE corner, you won't want to miss it.

I recommend Block 9:

Definitely spoilt for choice.

Silver Hayes had some cracking DJ sets this year - I did Annie Mac & Fat boy slim instead of Metallica and had no regrets at all. Skrillex on the other stage was a worthy alternative to Arcade fire.

Bez's acid house and there was some great old school pumping out from a tent just as you came out from the SE corner on Sunday night - we just flopped outside with a beer and listened until far too late/early as it resulted in a much too late awakening & a lengthy queue to get offsite on Monday....

Plenty of DJ sets everywhere, live acts are a little spread around but well worth seeking out. Get the smartphone app before you go and sift through it marking off what you're interested in and set alarms so you don't miss anything....

I'm really looking forward to a completely different festival experience next year.

I am, by all accounts, a music obsessive. As such, I plan my festivals with military precision, researching endlessly and with a hugely ambitious itinerary. Don't get me wrong, it's not 'stressful' or anything - quite the reverse, I just want to see as much as possible. Using the definition of at least three full, successive tracks as a 'set', I saw 43 acts at this year's Green Man. And that's a festival the size of a tenth of Glastonbury, probably.

For next year I have promised myself a completely different approach.

I intend to scrutinise the line-up to within an inch of its life and....choose just a few absolute must see bands, playing at times and locations that will mean there is no reason I shouldn't be able to see them.

Then, for all of the rest of the time, I aim just to let the festival happen to me, with just a loose idea of kind of where I want to be and when. I understand entirely that to try to 'do it all' is entirely unrealistic, and any attempt would almost certainly detract from the whole experience. But, I would like to try to see as much as I can, if only briefly. So, I am sure I will:

Spend some time at the stone circle - would quite like to do a sunrise there

Spend some time (probably a lot...) in the SE corner

See some music on Py, O, WH, JP, Pa, Ac etc stages

Dance a lot, to lots of very very good, minimalist, vocal-poor/free, beatsy electronic music at stupid o'clock

Go to little places like the Crow's Nest etc.

And loads of other stuff.

My only slight anxiety is going alone. I've been to at least three festivals 'alone' but always knew people there - usually from previous years' forum meets etc. I know that there is the eFests meet, and will likely plan to go there. Trouble is, despite being one of the most extrovert people I know, I'm actually a bit crap at that 'first time meeting' thing.

Ah, whatever. I'm sure at least one or two of 135 000 will talk to me!

Ben

Can you tell me a bit more about the Glade, whisty?

I've heard about the Glade for...years. It seems to hold super-legendary status in a legendary festival full of legends...

Ben

Benny, I love electronic music and the Glade is a great tucked away venue and usually has a nugget or 3 over the weekend, mix of bands and DJ artists, one of my favourite venues. Also you'll find the odd electronic golden nugget on West Holts. You're going to have absolute blast. Don't tie yourself down too much and you'll discover lots.

I'm not sure whether the stage is still run by the same people now as there was a years break and the glade festival wound up. But the Glade stage reurned to Glastonbury last year & here's a little history of that stage and what grew from it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glade_Festival

Edited by whisty

I'm really looking forward to a completely different festival experience next year.

I am, by all accounts, a music obsessive. As such, I plan my festivals with military precision, researching endlessly and with a hugely ambitious itinerary. Don't get me wrong, it's not 'stressful' or anything - quite the reverse, I just want to see as much as possible. Using the definition of at least three full, successive tracks as a 'set', I saw 43 acts at this year's Green Man. And that's a festival the size of a tenth of Glastonbury, probably.

For next year I have promised myself a completely different approach.

I intend to scrutinise the line-up to within an inch of its life and....choose just a few absolute must see bands, playing at times and locations that will mean there is no reason I shouldn't be able to see them.

Then, for all of the rest of the time, I aim just to let the festival happen to me, with just a loose idea of kind of where I want to be and when. I understand entirely that to try to 'do it all' is entirely unrealistic, and any attempt would almost certainly detract from the whole experience. But, I would like to try to see as much as I can, if only briefly. So, I am sure I will:

Spend some time at the stone circle - would quite like to do a sunrise there

Spend some time (probably a lot...) in the SE corner

See some music on Py, O, WH, JP, Pa, Ac etc stages

Dance a lot, to lots of very very good, minimalist, vocal-poor/free, beatsy electronic music at stupid o'clock

Go to little places like the Crow's Nest etc.

And loads of other stuff.

My only slight anxiety is going alone. I've been to at least three festivals 'alone' but always knew people there - usually from previous years' forum meets etc. I know that there is the eFests meet, and will likely plan to go there. Trouble is, despite being one of the most extrovert people I know, I'm actually a bit crap at that 'first time meeting' thing.

Ah, whatever. I'm sure at least one or two of 135 000 will talk to me!

Ben

Good plan.

Benny, I love electronic music and the Glade is a great tucked away venue and usually has a nugget or 3 over the weekend, mix of bands and DJ artists, one of my favourite venues. Also you'll find the odd electronic golden nugget on West Holts. You're going to have absolute blast. Don't tie yourself down too much and you'll discover lots.

I'm not sure whether the stage is still run by the same people now as there was a years break and the glade festival wound up. But the Glade stage reurned to Glastonbury last year & here's a little history of that stage and what grew from it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glade_Festival

Oh my goodness, whisty, thanks.

I rather think I am a spiritual Son-of-Glade.

I clearly need to be there quite a bit.

Ben

Oh and also, as the day draws closer there's quite a few folks that post they're going alone so plenty of opportunity to group up or at the very least pitch tents together ish.

Yeah, I know, I'm just being an idiot.

I'm on a coach from Birmingham and already planning (didn't I say I would try not to plan too much. Sheesh) on where I will try to camp. At the moment, Dairy is the front runner. Pretty direct down to it from the festival coach station and it looks well placed for the Park (likely to be my favourite 'daytime' stage, along with William's Green, I reckon), and the SE corner. Also pretty good for Glade too!

I just know that when I get there I'll hoof it down and pitch up ASAP so I can maximise time doing stuff. I'll just have to be super nice to the neighbours and make friends early on...

Ben

Having been going to Rockness since it began and spending most of my T experience in the Slam tent I had high expectations for Glastonburys dance stages and acts. 2014 was my first year and it's utterly mindblowing the choices on offer. I spent a good few hours dancing my arse of to 2 many DJ's doing their Despacio set then of to Sasha on the Thursday (Glade is insane, like a club outside with the lights and sound nicely tucked away into the trees), Skrillex and Richie Hawtin Friday, DJ AFX, DJ Sneak, Seth Troxler, Four Tet, Dan Le Sac, Bonobo are the ones I can remember from all over the weekend and most of these were before I even spent the whole of Sunday night in the SE corner which frankly is the best fucking thing I've ever done in my life. Electronic music at Glastonbury is sensational and I've only been once! Can't wait till next year.

Edited by blackg1000
  • Upvote 1