BST Hyde Park 2015

the wonderwhy

I'm starting to get excited for Friday now.

Feeling a little apprehensive as well though as, due to my mates being a bit rubbish, i'm going on my own. I holiday alone so going to a gig isn't a big deal but I wonder if i'll enjoy it that much without someone to chat to. 

There's far too many acts I love on the Friday though and only had to pay £53 for the ticket. 

i'm going on my own too, same, due to let downs .  Thats a great price for ticket.... Although i would quite like someone to share the experience with half the time  no one wants to stand where i want to anyway and i remember last year i went with four mates to the libertines and as that was the only band they wanted to see i ended up going and catching other stuff on my own anyway....i guess you just have to be prepared  for the odd "look at the silly cow dancing like a maniac on her own" remarks, lol!

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello guys!

My name is Thais and I am an Events Managemenet Student at Greenwich University.

I need to ask you a big favourr as I am writing my dissertation about festival experiences and especially about the BST and DAY FIELD Festivals. In order to "investigate" this topic deeply I will need to interview (by phone or skype people who have attended this year to one of these 2 events) and I would reallyyyyyyyyy appreciate if you say YES to participate on my research!!! Pleaseeeeeeeee.

I don´t have much time, as I have to submit my dissertation by 15September but the interviews will be very easy, 10 min approx. and I will be asking you just about your experience in there...Very very easy!!!!

Pleaseeeee help mee ;). If you participate I will invit you to a beer or whatever!hahaha

Thank you for your attention!

You can reply to me through this website, by email thais.serrano@hotmail.com, or facebook Thais Serrano

thank you!!

T

i'm going on my own too, same, due to let downs .  Thats a great price for ticket.... Although i would quite like someone to share the experience with half the time  no one wants to stand where i want to anyway and i remember last year i went with four mates to the libertines and as that was the only band they wanted to see i ended up going and catching other stuff on my own anyway....i guess you just have to be prepared  for the odd "look at the silly cow dancing like a maniac on her own" remarks, lol!

As someone once told me - people are too busy worrying about what they look like to notice what you look like :)

I went to an Elton John gig a few years back by myself and I didn't particularly enjoy it, but that was mainly because he decided to play his entire new album from start to finish!

I have the opposite problem with Reading festival, going with lots of friends but don't like any of the acts  :P

i'm going on my own too, same, due to let downs . Thats a great price for ticket.... Although i would quite like someone to share the experience with half the time no one wants to stand where i want to anyway and i remember last year i went with four mates to the libertines and as that was the only band they wanted to see i ended up going and catching other stuff on my own anyway....i guess you just have to be prepared for the odd "look at the silly cow dancing like a maniac on her own" remarks, lol!

So am I for this, I'm sure there'll be a few 'Billy no-mates'! If I see someone dancing like a maniac I'll say hello. Or probably move on quickly, depending on how maniacally the dancing is...

Edited by play it cool

Thought I would update on my solo visit on Friday. Bear in mind that this is only the second festival i've ever been to.

Got there about 4pm and initially was really impressed with the whole set up; there was a great atmosphere and everything looked amazing. Then I saw the queues to get a beer! 15 minutes later I had spent £10 on two pints of Strongbow to set myself up for the Kaiser Chief's set. They turned out to be the last drinks I had.

My first reaction to the Kaiser Chiefs starting up was surprise that I couldn't even see the stage and that the sound quality was poor. I managed to navigate my way a bit closer to one of the screens and things improved but I still wasn't impressed with the experience - IMO you shouldn't be able to have a normal level conversation with someone whilst listening to gig. Also Ricky Wilson seemed to be upset that the crowd was quiet. So I headed off early to the smaller stage to watch The Rifles and that was by far the best part of the day - they were great. 

I then made my way back to watch Weller and the crowd was bigger than before. The sound quality had improved a bit (maybe wind conditions improved?) but Weller decided to spend half of his one hour set playing new(ish) songs, which I wasn't impressed with. It's a festival, not your tour. I'll let him off for being a legend. After Weller it became obvious that it if I left where I was I wouldn't get back so just waited around for The Who. They were great but after an hour of their set I was knackard and hungry so decided to get some food and make a slow walk back. 

So to summarise, for the £53 I paid for the ticket I enjoyed the experience and was glad to see so many of my favourite acts. Though just in terms of the music I wasn't impressed, it was more like being in a bar with something playing in the background then it was being at a gig. Considering I spent the entire time viewing a screen rather than the stage I could have really been anywhere. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if i'd gone with someone else and/or had a few more drinks - I suppose spending 6 hours by yourself isn't the best way to enjoy a festival.