Help with my Stag Pleeeeeaaaase

Guest bob_fossill

Hi,

I am wanting to do a European Festival for my stag do next July/Aug.

Our music tastes are varied but ideally would like to see bands (Arctics/Foals/Kasabien/Bombay Bicycle Club) during the day/evening and then dance music (Luciano/Circoloco/Guy Gerber/Hot Since 82) until the early hours.

Looking for something that provides the above sort of music and also the following

Ticket price as close to £100 as possible (only plan on doing 2 days, so 2 day passes if cheaper)

Dont plan on camping so easy access to nearby town/city.

Cheap to get to from London.

Top 3 ideas are the moment are

Sziget - get the impression this is along the lines of Glastonbury (which Ive done twice and loved) and can stay in Budapest which I would like to see.

Balaton Sound - Looks great location and can get big holiday villas dirt cheap. Although not sure if its a bit too EDM going by prior line ups (no interest in seeing the likes of Guetta, Aoki etc), but smaller stages look good.

Dour Festival Line up looks good/varied and cheap tickets, plus can get the eurostar from London. But can find no reviews at all.

Would be very grateful if anyone could give me any info/reviews of Balaton or Dour as Im struggling to find much on the internet.

Also if anyone could provide alternatives to the above.

Thank you

Neil

I'd suggest Pukkelpop, but it's 3 days (4 if you count opening party). Musically, it would tick all your boxes, location wise it would tick your boxes (stay in Hasselt and get the bus in and out each day).

Theoretically, you could get 2 x day passes, but I suspect that would cost more than the 3 day ticket?

Sounds to me like you've hit the nail on the head, with Sziget.

I'm not sure what the day passes cost, but I think they're reasonably cheap. It's on the outskirts of Budapest, so you have plenty of choice of hostels/hotels. They generally have bands on during the day and the evening and then dance music all through the night, until the next morning. Beer is nice and cheap. Cheap flights from one of the major airports, to Budapest, shouldn't be an issue. Seems ideal for what you want.

Sziget is the best choice for sure. A daily ticket is 50€ so 2 daily tickets are in your budget, it's so easy to get there from London with low cost flights and the lineup will include bands like the ones you've mentioned for sure. The atmosphere also is fantastic and once you're there you generally live the Island (Sziget is on an Island) more than spending too much time under a stage.

I've been to Balaton Sound too and I can tell you it's so good. It's made by the Sziget management so the organization is almost perfect. I'll be back next year too. Not as good as Sziget but a so much better festival experience than Pukkelpop (pukkelpop is ONLY music). Of course the lineup is only based on edm music, but I can tell you the overall experience is great. Last year I didn't like the lineup at all (except for some names like Van Buuren, Disclosure, Flux Pavilion, Richie Hawtin, Sven Vath and a few more), but I went as well and found it awesome. Zamardi is a very small town so there's not so much to see around, but Balaton Lake is fantastic.

So if I have to recommend you a summer festival I'd tell you to go to Sziget. If you prefer a travel in July try Balaton Sound. ;)

I'm behind ilbeyene on this as usual when it comes up to Sziget! Going back next year that says it all!

Also, the program is eclectic you'll always find something (if not a band an activity) to see, the 2-days pass would be 100euros and as he said you can find low-cost flights!

Edited by Noeliam

I recommend not going to a festival for a stag do. This isnt anti stag do's. Its just, as is expected with ANY self respecting stag do, you are supposed to get VERY messy. Most festie goers (myself included) goto festies to see bands/art/comedy etc etc etc. and anyone 'wrecked beyond recognition' are just annoying.

Just my view....

Cheers for the advice people. Looks like Sziget is winning the race at the moment. Seems very good value for money, even doing a few days on day passes. Flights and apartments are really cheap.

1 quick question, is it easy enough to get back to the city centre when leaving Sziget say between 4-6am?

Have found some nice big apartments in district 1 & 5 and want to make sure that this area would work without too much hassle.

Thanks again

I recommend not going to a festival for a stag do. This isnt anti stag do's. Its just, as is expected with ANY self respecting stag do, you are supposed to get VERY messy. Most festie goers (myself included) goto festies to see bands/art/comedy etc etc etc. and anyone 'wrecked beyond recognition' are just annoying.

Just my view....

I promise not to ruin any ones festival. :biggrin:

Optimus Alive could be a shout too; tend to have decent DJs on till late (this year had Diplo, A-Trak etc. last year had Disclosure) and bands through the evening/night (Arctics libertines and black keys this year). 10/15 minute train from lisbon city centre, cheapish drink for a Western Europe City, great place.

Optimus Alive could be a shout too; tend to have decent DJs on till late (this year had Diplo, A-Trak etc. last year had Disclosure) and bands through the evening/night (Arctics libertines and black keys this year). 10/15 minute train from lisbon city centre, cheapish drink for a Western Europe City, great place.

I'd second that, sort of. If you want to enjoy the festival then go back in Lisbon on a bender then it'd be ideal. I didn't feel like it was the kid of festival to get gloriously messed up at, but Lisbon is just the place for that!

1 quick question, is it easy enough to get back to the city centre when leaving Sziget say between 4-6am?

Have found some nice big apartments in district 1 & 5 and want to make sure that this area would work without too much hassle.

Thanks again

There's taxis parked outside the main entrance all night long. Not sure the cost, but I don't think they're too bad. There is a boat service (with a bar!), but I'm not sure they run until that time.

I wouldn't worry about being on a stag do at a festival. I've done 3 festivals as stag do's and never come across anyone who has had an issue with us. In fact, when we went to the Hurricane Festival, with my cousin dressed as a seven foot tall cock and balls and the rest of us as sperm, we couldn't get anywhere because everyone wanted their picture taken with us! :)