Babies?

JennieT

Hi im going to have a 3 month old by the time Glasto comes round. I want to bring them along as I know others have, however my husband wants to leave them at home. I know people wont agree with either, but would like to hear about what people have done and how did it go?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not got any kids but friends were thinking of taking a one year old next year. They were going to see what the weather was like and just go down as day trippers each day. If the weather was bad I reckon having a young child to push around the site in the mud would not be that much fun!

We've taken our son twice - the first time he was 5 months, the second time 1 year 5 months. The first time, when he was younger, was actually a lot easier. He was only small, couldn't crawl or move around by himself and I was breastfeeding so it was easy to feed him anywhere. The second year was harder work, partly because he was older, walking and partly because it was wet and very muddy (mud and buggys don't mix!). We also have a campervan so weren't in a tent.

The Kidz field is great and Mendip NCT have a fab tent there with everything you could possibly need - changing facilities, nappies, sterilisers, high chairs and they'll even do you a baby bath.

I'd recommend a carrier of some sort and a decent off road buggy so you can deal with both sun and mud ;).

Never taken a new born or been with people who have but I saw a couple this year with a new born and they were really struggling,the baby was crying,they were stressed,they weren't having a good time at all.

Obviously a baby is too young to appreciate a festival and I know it seems like a nice idea but I would agree with your husband.

It would be doable on a fair glastonbury but what about a really bad Glastonbury,that would be carnage.

We've taken our son twice - the first time he was 5 months, the second time 1 year 5 months. The first time, when he was younger, was actually a lot easier. He was only small, couldn't crawl or move around by himself and I was breastfeeding so it was easy to feed him anywhere. The second year was harder work, partly because he was older, walking and partly because it was wet and very muddy (mud and buggys don't mix!). We also have a campervan so weren't in a tent.

The Kidz field is great and Mendip NCT have a fab tent there with everything you could possibly need - changing facilities, nappies, sterilisers, high chairs and they'll even do you a baby bath.

I'd recommend a carrier of some sort and a decent off road buggy so you can deal with both sun and mud ;).

All of the above. We took our 6 week old this year. At this age all he wanted to do was sleep and eat. Got a good 2nd hand buggy off ebay, need one like Phil & Ted with 'bicycle' tyres as mush easier over rough ground and through mud.

Glad to have done it. It was a very different Glastonbury for us. Not just less alcohol but not able to move around so easily in the big crowds, being at the back of the crowds as needing a it of space. The NCT tent was an amazing oasis where they had changing mats, baths and plenty of space to feed.

We stayed in Worthy View for some comfort and the short trek car to tent, once out for the day didn't go back.

He will be a year old this year, have decided not to take him, will be moving and less happy in the buggy so parents looking after him.

We took our 6 week old this year. At this age all he wanted to do was sleep and eat.

Impressed jamesrfisher! Not sure I would have been brave enough at 6 weeks. Although like you say, at that age they do just sleep so I guess it would be fairly easy. Easier than a one year old, certainly :)

Leave my 3 year old at home as too selfish to take her :)

Other festivals perhaps are easier (we did Camp Bestival this year and while it is no Glastonbury we had a really great time) but if you're keen I say go for it. Plenty who take babies/children and, from what others have said, the kid's field is pretty special.

I have done it twice and will say when the are really young it is easier than when they are more mobile. In fact when we brought our 9 month old to Glasto we had one of the best Glastos ever. Its a different experience for many reasons but it was very enjoyable

One word of advice you should adhere to, do not take any advise on this issue from people who have not brought a kid to Glastonbury. Its utterly worthless IMO

Never taken a new born or been with people who have but I saw a couple this year with a new born and they were really struggling,the baby was crying,they were stressed,they weren't having a good time at all.

Obviously a baby is too young to appreciate a festival and I know it seems like a nice idea but I would agree with your husband.

It would be doable on a fair glastonbury but what about a really bad Glastonbury,that would be carnage.

I think it comes down to how the parents deal with the baby crying in "real life" theres some very stressed parents out there. Most never come back to a festival once they've experienced it once, whatever the age of the child.

I find most parents at Glastonbury very laid back and relaxed in how they raise their children, i include myself in this. However i think the majority of people who do bring kids have either been to glastonbury before childless or are more experienced in smaller festivals.

I think it comes down to how the parents deal with the baby crying in "real life" theres some very stressed parents out there. Most never come back to a festival once they've experienced it once, whatever the age of the child.

I find most parents at Glastonbury very laid back and relaxed in how they raise their children, i include myself in this. However i think the majority of people who do bring kids have either been to glastonbury before childless or are more experienced in smaller festivals.

Yes I agree people deal with situations better than others under potentially stressful conditions,some people shine and others,well don't come back.

I would take kids to Glastonbury,there is loads for them to do and its nice seeing them running around laughing their heads off and generally having the time of their lives as well broadening their horizons and I think the festival would be the poorer without them,that's one of the things I love about Glastonbury the diverseness of all ages but that's when children will get something out of it,new born babies don't really,its a bit like christmas they only start to enjoy it when they get to a certain age.

So while they are too young, enjoy the freedom of a few days a year to let your hair down and take them when they can appreciate it,there'll be many more years. :)

Yes I agree people deal with situations better than others under potentially stressful conditions,some people shine and others,well don't come back.

I would take kids to Glastonbury,there is loads for them to do and its nice seeing them running around laughing their heads off and generally having the time of their lives as well broadening their horizons and I think the festival would be the poorer without them,that's one of the things I love about Glastonbury the diverseness of all ages but that's when children will get something out of it,new born babies don't really,its a bit like christmas they only start to enjoy it when they get to a certain age.

So while they are too young, enjoy the freedom of a few days a year to let your hair down and take them when they can appreciate it,there'll be many more years. :)

Think u hit the nail on the head with this. :-)

I second that. Leave the babe in the loving care of somebody who is capable of that. Life can be hell there with a baby, unless you are lucky and have nerves of steel.

I second that. Leave the babe in the loving care of somebody who is capable of that. Life can be hell there with a baby, unless you are lucky and have nerves of steel.

Except it is a bit difficult to leave a baby of 3 months with someone else for the 5 days (especially if it's being breastfed). Babies that age need to be with mum really. That's why we took our 5 month old in 2013 - it was either take him or don't go at all.

Except it is a bit difficult to leave a baby of 3 months with someone else for the 5 days (especially if it's being breastfed). Babies that age need to be with mum really. That's why we took our 5 month old in 2013 - it was either take him or don't go at all.

Where u in a campervan or tent? How did u cope? The weather was a little mixed in 2013 if I remember rightly.

Where u in a campervan or tent? How did u cope? The weather was a little mixed in 2013 if I remember rightly.

We were in a campervan. The weather wasn't too bad in 2013 - one muddy day I think. We had a good off road three wheel buggy which 'just about' coped on the muddy day (but really struggled in 2014's mud). We also took a carrier but didn't use it much. It was actually a bit easier than I expected it to be - at 5 months he couldn't crawl yet so we were able to just stop and sit with him lying on a blanket (when not muddy). Big crowds at night are tricky and best avoided if possible - we just stayed at the back of stages. We still saw music, but it does end up being a different sort of festival. He slept through both Chic and the Rolling Stones :)

As I said before, it was actually much easier when he was that small. We also took him in 2014 and found it much tougher, although a lot of that was due to mud!

As others have said it will be much easier when the baby is 3 months old as they just eat, sleep, and feed. They are also much lighter so carrying them in a sling or similar will be much easier.

If you are breast feeding you obviously wouldn't be able to leave the child at home.

Our child was 8 months or so when we first took him, was 20 months this year and will be 32 months next year. Each time is a different experience. It is undoubtedly a different experience than going without child but still great. Some of my fondest memories are walking round at 5-6 am in the morning with our son speaking to all the randoms who are on their way back to bed.

Whilst I understand why people leave their kids with grandparents/carers for the weekend I couldn't imagine being there without our child. if you work you very rarely get to spend 5 full days with your child with nothing else to do but chill out, enjoy each others company and spend time with each other. For me this is more important than being able to stay out until 5am in the morning.

In terms of transportation we had one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TecTake-Wagon-garden-trolley-platform/dp/B004ZKAVSW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1412671365&sr=8-2&keywords=kids+carts

Was fine in 2013, although didn't have too much rain. We got some memory foam to put inside, some solar powered fairy lights for when it got dark and our child slept in this. The benefit was when we got to the tent we just wheeled this in and left him asleep in it.

If you are bottle feeding we just took a wash bowl and used the sterilizing tabs. Had one load of bottles in whilst the others were in use.

In summary, it is definitely doable, I would recommend it, but it does take more planning, you have to accept you wont see everything you want, you might have to stand further away than you would normally do, not drink as much etc, etc. If you can accept this then go with, if you are going to feel like you are missing out then leave the child at home.

If you do take your child remember ear defenders for them.

Edited by cham08

Thanks for the replies. I'm not one to stay out till 5 am anyway. We normally end up back at camp (hopefully campervan field this time) after the headliner. Can't stay awake after 1am lol. I guess I'm going to have to see what kind of baby they are before deciding. ie good sleeper or not. And yeh love the little ear defenders! Have seen loads of kids with them.

My little boy has been three times, at the ages of 5 months, 17 months, and 4 years. My little girl joined us this year too - she had just turned 2. In terms of childcare, the first year was the easiest by far - no food worries (breastmilk), no toilet worries (nappies), no kid-running-off worries (couldn't crawl let alone walk). However, despite being much harder, this year (2014) was by far the most fun, and I can only see it getting better in future. The only bad part really was when we temporarily lost our son for about two minutes near the Other stage - that was absolutely terrifying.

We've done a scorcher (2010) and two muddy years (2011 and 2014) with the kids, and the muddy years were tough but the weather was harder work in 2010, when we spent 99% of the daytime trying to find shade.

We camp in Wicket ground - loads of space, toilets are clean, and quiet at night.

Obviously Glastonbury with kids is completely different to doing it on your own. There are massive compromises to be made, but you get to see it from a whole new perspective. For example, on Saturday this year the only music we saw was Metallica - the entire day was spent in the kidz field, the circus/cabaret fields, the green fields and the healing fields. We also spent a large chunk of the festival looking for dragons :)

Edited by Cheesey

As others have said it will be much easier when the baby is 3 months old as they just eat, sleep, and feed. They are also much lighter so carrying them in a sling or similar will be much easier.

If you are breast feeding you obviously wouldn't be able to leave the child at home.

Our child was 8 months or so when we first took him, was 20 months this year and will be 32 months next year. Each time is a different experience. It is undoubtedly a different experience than going without child but still great. Some of my fondest memories are walking round at 5-6 am in the morning with our son speaking to all the randoms who are on their way back to bed.

Whilst I understand why people leave their kids with grandparents/carers for the weekend I couldn't imagine being there without our child. if you work you very rarely get to spend 5 full days with your child with nothing else to do but chill out, enjoy each others company and spend time with each other. For me this is more important than being able to stay out until 5am in the morning.

In terms of transportation we had one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TecTake-Wagon-garden-trolley-platform/dp/B004ZKAVSW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1412671365&sr=8-2&keywords=kids+carts

Was fine in 2013, although didn't have too much rain. We got some memory foam to put inside, some solar powered fairy lights for when it got dark and our child slept in this. The benefit was when we got to the tent we just wheeled this in and left him asleep in it.

If you are bottle feeding we just took a wash bowl and used the sterilizing tabs. Had one load of bottles in whilst the others were in use.

In summary, it is definitely doable, I would recommend it, but it does take more planning, you have to accept you wont see everything you want, you might have to stand further away than you would normally do, not drink as much etc, etc. If you can accept this then go with, if you are going to feel like you are missing out then leave the child at home.

If you do take your child remember ear defenders for them.

Cham did you go in 2014? I think given the weather conditions it would have been ultra hard with a baby and this is what would put me off. Fair play if you did!

My little boy has been three times, at the ages of 5 months, 17 months, and 4 years. My little girl joined us this year too - she had just turned 2. In terms of childcare, the first year was the easiest by far - no food worries (breastmilk), no toilet worries (nappies), no kid-running-off worries (couldn't crawl let alone walk). However, despite being much harder, this year (2014) was by far the most fun, and I can only see it getting better in future. The only bad part really was when we temporarily lost our son for about two minutes near the Other stage - that was absolutely terrifying.

We've done a scorcher (2010) and two muddy years (2011 and 2014) with the kids, and the muddy years were tough but the weather was harder work in 2010, when we spent 99% of the daytime trying to find shade.

We camp in Wicket ground - loads of space, toilets are clean, and quiet at night.

Obviously Glastonbury with kids is completely different to doing it on your own. There are massive compromises to be made, but you get to see it from a whole new perspective. For example, on Saturday this year the only music we saw was Metallica - the entire day was spent in the kidz field, the circus/cabaret fields, the green fields and the healing fields. We also spent a large chunk of the festival looking for dragons :)

Sounds fab! To be honest my husband hates it when I get him moving around between stages. There days I'm quite happy sitting up by the stone circle for hours on end just relaxing. It's definatley not all about the bands for us. Just love the place so much, can't bare not to go especially after my hubby not wanting to go 2014. Id just love to be able to tell him/her how young they were for their first glasto!

i looked at loads of options to take a 1 year old this year and this was brilliant!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Infantastic%C2%AE-FAH16-Dark-Purple-Trailer-Jogger/dp/B008USF0A4/ref=sr_1_6?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1412676147&sr=1-6&keywords=bike+trailer

got her all the way back from pyramid after metallica to the furthest corner of the campervan field and she stayed asleep. powered through the mud and was a little safe haven for her when she just wanted to sit and play with her toys.

it feels safer than pulling something behind you too and no one can fall into them as it has 2 covers inc a waterproof one.

worth every penny and still getting use out of it.

When we brought our 8 month old the stimulation from everything around her for the week was amazing we found. She absolutely loved it. She loved being nosy and watching people do all sorts things around her. The colours; the lights; the sounds etc etc.........she loved it all. Her highlight as far as I could see was being surrounded by people in fancy dress and face paint, with fires, flares, bubbles, fairy lights, kids with glow sticks and torches etc etc at the Rolling Stones (I think she enjoyed that gig more than me! ;) )

The thing myself and the Mrs enjoyed about it so much was the change of pace we experienced to the previous Glastos we had been to when at times we would be trying to meet with mates and trying to see gigs, constantly checking the clashfinder and sometimes busting a gut to get across site for various reasons. But with the baby in tow a more relaxed, care free approach we both found we had, oddly enough. We just allowed the day to evolve and happen. I earmarked 1 gig I had to be at that week (Portishead) and the rest of the week just happened about us. As I mentioned before, it was a super Glasto.