geeky techie chat about the ticket sale

Swine_Glasto2014

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any "improvement" noticed yesterday will have been firstly because of the much lower load yesterday than they'll be on Sunday.

Not necessarily. The load balancers don't really care how much traffic is coming into it. They can handle millions of hits. It's what happens when you then get a connection.

Last year for coach tickets, I repeatedly got into choosing a day and then it crashing (at payment).

It's the "customer journey" (overused phrase in my World!) from after you're connected, that is much better.

The hundreds of thousands of extra hits on Sunday *SHOULD* just be sorted by the kit early on.

(I've tempted fate now, it's going to crash all around us!)

I would avoid the multiple tabs thing, that's pretty good advice.

It's probably working based on your IP address, so if it gets a connection, the timing starts. It won't care about browser, machine you're using, what country you're in or how many cups of coffee you've had - it's just pot luck! :)

Let me try and describe some of these bits of kit. Next gen firewalls (which I hope See Tickets have!) and load balancers can do some very funky things. They can restrict access based on all sorts of things; e.g. country. They COULD realistically set up a web server JUST for foreign traffic. I'm not sure why they would want to do that, but it's possible.

The kit will be looking out for signs of stress, DDOS attacks etc - but that would be thousands if not millions of hits in a small period of time (and from differing machines for the same attack) - so it doesn't matter how fast your refresh finger is, you'll be fine!!

As an IT Security bod who knows the set up of these kind of things, I would have 2 or 3 people trying for you, in a couple of different physical locations, stick to one browser and just keep refreshing.

It really is luck folks.

Good luck to us all - I'm nervous too!

Yeah, sounds like if the reg number has already been used, a different message appear to the one I saw. There's a poster who saw it on the main "too many people trying" thread - http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/188953-can-you-have-too-many-people-trying-for-you/page-2#entry4478792

Good point, except I didn't try the main sale last year, just the coach sale.

tho last year there was a hugely increased demand too, because the Stones - and Michael's bullshit - had raised expectations with the bands.

This year, pleasingly, there3w's the opposite effect. Metallica will have made plenty of peeps decide not to bother.

tho last year there was a hugely increased demand too, because the Stones - and Michael's bullshit - had raised expectations with the bands.

This year, pleasingly, there3w's the opposite effect. Metallica will have made plenty of peeps decide not to bother.

I think they sold out faster this year though. I still reckon the setup is better than last year.

Not necessarily. The load balancers don't really care how much traffic is coming into it. They can handle millions of hits.

but no kit can handle a greater load than that kit can handle - hence the system falling over during last year's Sunday sale, for example.

I'm not knocking it. Compared to the past, it's brilliant. But there's still always a finite limit.

Not necessarily. The load balancers don't really care how much traffic is coming into it. They can handle millions of hits. It's what happens when you then get a connection.

Last year for coach tickets, I repeatedly got into choosing a day and then it crashing (at payment).

It's the "customer journey" (overused phrase in my World!) from after you're connected, that is much better.

The hundreds of thousands of extra hits on Sunday *SHOULD* just be sorted by the kit early on.

(I've tempted fate now, it's going to crash all around us!)

The load balancer concurrent session limit will firstly be dictated by the licence they have....then by the admin on each content rule to set a session limit above which the 'queue' page fires as a 'sorry' page. Any improvement noticed last night may simply be due to some tweaking of session settings in the knowledge that it would be less subscribed than on Sunday.

6 years on CISCO CSS and ace leads me to think this way....

Fair enough. Do you know why?

I'm not entirely sure that was ever said explicitly.

My thinking is that it's done to try and lessen complaints. If the tickets all go in 5 minutes everyone that loses out will scream that it wasn't fair.

If it's done over (say) an hour, then at least those who miss out feel they've had a fair chance.

Plus of course, a longer sale benefits those who try harder to get tickets - which is the only 'manipulation' of the system that i think is a good thing.

That's just the servers on the front of the system tho.

I think they're using a cloud-like server farm for the back end, which is, in theory, infinitely expandable.

True. They could outsource the booking engine itself as you say....in the current scheme of things it's the front end session that we all need though.

True. They could outsource the booking engine itself as you say....in the current scheme of things it's the front end session that we all need though.

I've got efests set-up with a "front" server, with the heavy work done on another server.

I haven't had to spunk a fortune on a bought-in system either, I've knocked it together myself ... tho of course it doesn't have the same load.

The limits with the load on the efests system is what I can afford to have in place. I can't afford to spend thousands on servers which will only get utilised for perhaps an hour a year.