Pop up tents

Guest stardustjunkie

Now I know I have a ticket, I want to keep an eye on sales during winter to get a smaller tent. The tent I have is 5 man and too big for just me (I wouldn't be able to put it up for starters).

As I will most likely be putting it up on my own (although I'm sure I can ask for help), I would like to get a pop up tent. It's just a question of which one..

It needs to be double skinned and preferably 3, at a push 2, persons. I like space because I have dodgy knees and cant deal with being cramped up trying to get dressed etc!

So what recommendations do people have from their experiences? I've already been looking for a while but I would much rather hear personal recommendations.

My budget would stretch to about £60 for such a small tent. My 5 man with a porch and standing room cost just over £100 so I don't want to spend a fortune on such a small thing. I'd rather it wasn't one of those really really low ones that you see everywhere..

Does such a pop up tent exist?

Edit: I've just found the one I've been looking at, does anyone have any comments about this one: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/2-seconds-easy-3-tent-pixel-id_8305836.html

Edited by stardustjunkie

try this, quecha double skinned 3 person pop up tent(or though avalible in all sizes)

I got mine(the 2 man version) for glasto 2013, got me through last year 2014 without a single damp item (despite the rain we had) its double skinned and very well constructed, no rips or tears as of yet. also its very easy to put up and put down again. it has a foot string you step on and kind of pulls it all together into a tight circle then pop that in the bag provided, simples.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/tent-2-seconds-easy-3-green-id_8300684.html

Edited by thatcrazypenguin

I 2nd the Quechua's, got one this year for Glasto and Bestival and very impressed! I managed to get a XXL 2 Man in a sale from Decathlon for 60 quid (I think it was, might have been slightly cheaper!). So you might see them cheap 2nd hand on ebay or something as it seems to have been a sale to get rid of stock!

I'd go with the XXL as they bit taller/wider than the others, so while its only 2 man its perfectly resonable for one person! (And I've also got Vango Icarus 5 man, so know the luxury of a big tent! :P)

Put it up and down (even in the dark at Bestival!) very easily by myself! When putting it down, just clip all the coloured coded clips together, shape it into a figure 8, pull on the string/handle thing and wrap the attach loop around it and the bags big enough to just slot it in!

http://tente.quechua.com/en/tent/r-8,a-86,2-seconds-xxl-iii.html

Edited by LondonTom

I've had my Quechua 3 man since Reading 08 and still going well after six years and about twelve festivals

It doesn't exactly pop up straight out of the bag nowadays but always gets there with a bit of encouragement.

Has survived some pretty strong winds and plenty of rain without any issues and i've no plans to change it

Quechua's are decent, double skinned & within your budget. Some even have a pully system that flattens them down to fit in the bag.

thats what I was talking about with mine, its so easy literally you step on part of it, pull the other end and it ties the tent up into a very small size ready to fold into the bag. easy!

thats what I was talking about with mine, its so easy literally you step on part of it, pull the other end and it ties the tent up into a very small size ready to fold into the bag. easy!

I picked mine up after being left behind at Reading fest last year, absolute bellend who left it, great tent!

I've gone pop-up for all but one of the festivals I've been too and never had a problem.

Fancy a porch and a less bulky item to carry this year though so I'm reverting to a standard tent. Will miss that feeling of being sat in my chair, all set up whilst everyone is piss-arsing about with tent poles though!

Quechuas are the best of the bunch, but honestly if you're looking for a tent with space to stand then you'll want to avoid pop-ups, they're just not designed for that.

Maybe the designer was a midget and that was foremost at his / her mind when creating the pop up beast that would see slap stick comedy brought back to the forefront when trying to get them back in to their bag.

Quechuas are the best of the bunch, but honestly if you're looking for a tent with space to stand then you'll want to avoid pop-ups, they're just not designed for that.

I can sort of stand crouching down a bit in the porch of mine!! (The XXL) Its actually one of the reasons I got it, as most of the "normal" 2/3 man tents seemed way to low/small to even be able to crouch.

you've not seen this beauty then - now up to 6'6 in the centre of the tent!

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/seconds-family-42-xl-tent-family-tent-id_8245573.html

(admittedly, it's not a 3 man tent)

Edited by Greenelk

The Eurohike Mach III is better than any curren Quechua tent but they don't make it any more as far as I know. eBay/Gumtree could be a great option to pick one up on the cheap.

Why is it better? I have a Quechua double skinned pop up tent and it works a treat - you just open the zip and fall in to the mess that's before you. Try to put a pair of pants over yourself to keep warm, and wake up still dry sometime later. What could possibly beat that?