Teachers

Guest GingerTosser

Any of you guys teachers who regularly attend Glastonbury?

I'm doing a Primary PGCE course and am going to be on a school placement at festival time. The only way I would be able to go it seems is to drive down on the Friday evening and come back on the sunday. Anybody done this before? Does it impact the experience a lot? Any teachers that regularly go and maybe do the same thing? Do you pull sickies?

Sorry for all the questions I'm just being told from all angles that fri-sun isn't worth doing but I am adamant I am going!Been to the last six and can't imagine ever not going again.

I missed 10 years of Glastonbury for that reason... Now I teach part time and do other freelance work, so I can fit it in..

Having said that - everyday at Glastonbury is great, so while missing days does kind of suck, going to some days is definitely better than none.

I won't be able to get there until Friday, and while I wish I could be there Wed and Thurs, I'm just happy I can go. Loads of people leave on Sunday night anyway.

Might also depend how far away you live...

I missed 10 years of Glastonbury for that reason... Now I teach part time and do other freelance work, so I can fit it in..

Having said that - everyday at Glastonbury is great, so while missing days does kind of suck, going to some days is definitely better than none.

I won't be able to get there until Friday, and while I wish I could be there Wed and Thurs, I'm just happy I can go. Loads of people leave on Sunday night anyway.

Might also depend how far away you live...

Just seen your profile says you're in Bristol.... pah - go for it!

Go Friday evening, from Bristol youll be there early evening, have two nights of going mental tgdn come home late sunday. Dont piss about with your career for Glastonbury....

Yeah will definitley be having a sober sunday and going home that day. Will just be odd only staying for a couple of nights. No doubt they will be the best 2 nights of the year though!

I'd say go for it. Do you have any mates to set up camp for you beforehand? Just don't go mental with booze drugs on the Sunday as you need to drive back and be sorted for the Monday morning, but you'll still have a great time.

Fuck it, say you're working at Glasto or something, there's only one Glasto a year but there's plenty of school teaching days.

yep, that's always a good way to hang on to your job. Tell them your working somewhere else!

Firstly are you sure your placement is not over? My PGCE was over, and although there were things to tie up, I asked and I was excused for the Friday so drove down on Thursday.

If not, definitely pull a sicky on the Friday. Act ill in your placement on Thursday, go home saying ill straight after school, and then a ring or text Friday morning to confirm not in. They will not check up. A proper job/ school is a different matter. You're class mentor will be there to take over as normal. (You can't legalling be left totally alone anyway).

You will not get a chance again when a proper teacher, so as just a student with a ful time mentor ready to step in it isn't going to happen again.

No question you should go Thurday evening. End of

Edited by danbailey80

I'm on a PGCE as well this year, and am planning on not going in on the Friday so I can go down on the Thursday afternoon. You are allowed days off for interviews/to go and visit your new school should you get a job, so I'm just going to say I'm doing that :)

Then move to Bristol next year so I can go down on the Friday after school every year from then on

I'm lucky. I'm a tutor in adult and community ed rather than a teacher in a school. I also work freelance for a range of organisations, mainly adult and community ed and some university stuff but everyone who employs me knows that Glastonbury week is sacrosant - from the Tuesday (early arrival in the CV fields) to the following Monday (coming home and scrubbing up). And the deal is that if they employ me they know that Glasto is set in stone and nothing will persuade me to work that week.

But that's the joy of being established in your career, rather than being at the start.

Incidentally these days I mainly teach people to teach - delivering the new Certificate in Education and Training, which is a L4 qualification and, broadly equivalent to the first year of a PGCE in Post Compulsory Education.

Teacher friend of mine came from Northern Ireland. He worked the Friday and just had the Saturday and Sunday at the festival.

He had everything planned down to an art... We took his tent and booze and pitched it for him. All he had to bring was clothes. He landed on site, said hi to the group - had a mingle and a chinwag for a few minutes then he was away into the action.

You can play by the rules as a teacher and still have a great time. Okay, you only get two full days of the festival but it is better than nothing.

Firstly are you sure your placement is not over? My PGCE was over, and although there were things to tie up, I asked and I was excused for the Friday so drove down on Thursday.

If not, definitely pull a sicky on the Friday. Act ill in your placement on Thursday, go home saying ill straight after school, and then a ring or text Friday morning to confirm not in. They will not check up. A proper job/ school is a different matter. You're class mentor will be there to take over as normal. (You can't legalling be left totally alone anyway).

You will not get a chance again when a proper teacher, so as just a student with a ful time mentor ready to step in it isn't going to happen again.

No question you should go Thurday evening. End of

According to the timetable we've been given we I am still on my final placement and will be until the week beginning the 6th of July. I will figure something out I'm sure.....if I manage to get a ticket that is!

Teacher friend of mine came from Northern Ireland. He worked the Friday and just had the Saturday and Sunday at the festival.

He had everything planned down to an art... We took his tent and booze and pitched it for him. All he had to bring was clothes. He landed on site, said hi to the group - had a mingle and a chinwag for a few minutes then he was away into the action.

You can play by the rules as a teacher and still have a great time. Okay, you only get two full days of the festival but it is better than nothing.

yeah this is my thinking. I know it will still be great, just a bit shorter than usual!

liking the interview idea! It's going well so far it is a lot of work though you are right! How is yours going?

Yeah, I think that's the best way around it. It's all going well - really enjoying it. First placement in three weeks!