Jump to content
kalifire

Kendrick Lamar

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, smudger said:

utter utter crap........still, each to there own i guess..........still crap though.

lol. 

Kendrick is king. Unanimous album of the year by the looks of it from the critics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, smudger said:

utter utter crap........still, each to there own i guess..........still crap though.

What was crap about it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, smudger said:

utter utter crap........still, each to there own i guess..........still crap though.

I'm EXTREMELY interested to know what you think is crap about that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, smudger said:

utter utter crap........still, each to there own i guess..........still crap though.

I'm gonna bite.

I've had this argument before.

I won't even be petty and dwell on your lack of language skills.

I'm going to go right out there and proclaim that, for you to make a statement such as the one above, you have no understanding of how music is created and performed. None.

I am far from a Kendrick Lamar 'fan'. This kind of hip hop is, for me, often very hit and miss. So, I have no fanboy agenda. I'm a music lover and a musician of sorts.

Now, you don't have to like anything about that KL song and video. You don't have to like the structure, the performance, the flow, anything. Because enjoyment is subjective. Ability, musicianship, song-writing are objective, to a greater or lesser extent.

The sheer skill of KL in the writing, delivery and performance of his lyrics in that track is incredible. The musicianship of his band - especially the piano/keys player, WOW! - is incredible. This is an incredibly skillful and well-written piece of music. And I don't even like it that much as a track. But the overall performance is incredible.

For you to dismiss it as you have, and so seemingly demonstrate an inability to recognise brilliance in something that you personally don't enjoy that much, is something that makes me sad on a daily basis, when observing the cultural consumption of the masses.

Enjoy The Voice tonight. You're welcome to it.

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Upvote 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuck that's really good. I haven't properly listened to any of his stuff yet but I'm on the bus now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's early doors, only the 9th of Jan, but Ben making a strong bid for post of the year already.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst I agree with Ben's post... a world in which someone can't just say  "That's shite"  is a world I don't want to be a part of. 

It's as much a part of this page as the more in depth responses.

I like the tune btw. Great performance too. I would like to see him.

Which album is "I" from? A really like that. I know it is not his usual style, more old school (probably why I like it that much). Has he done much else like that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dan8k said:

Superb, genuinely think he is one of the best ever

Has to be, and by the looks of it he's not even peaked yet. If he puts out another two albums to the standard of the last two then I think it might be hard to argue Nas or Biggie better than him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Mardy said:

It's early doors, only the 9th of Jan, but Ben making a strong bid for post of the year already.

I'm blushing, Mardy...!

24 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Whilst I agree with Ben's post... a world in which someone can't just say  "That's shite"  is a world I don't want to be a part of. 

It's as much a part of this page as the more in depth responses.

I like the tune btw. Great performance too. I would like to see him.

Which album is "I" from? A really like that. I know it is not his usual style, more old school (probably why I like it that much). Has he done much else like that?

Yeah, you're right, Fuzzy, and I was being somewhat hypocritical as I am not above an undifferentiated russy-like shotgun scatter of 'THAT IS SHIT!'.

However, I hope that when I occasionally do that, the subject of my ire really is shite and with negligible artistic legitimacy, rather than it's just not my bag. For example, I like Drenge and Slaves, especially when I'm in the mood, but in the current pantheon of it's-cool-to-do-the-guitar or bass-and-drums-thing, I think Royal Blood are a bit shite. Why? Because their songwriting is crappy and they are surfing the trend wave of other, better bands.

21 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I was just thinking, "Mardy better watch his back. There's a new ranter in town."  

I'm not even out of kindergarten, Scruffy. Mardy is a sixth-form prefect.

:o)

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I'm sorry Ben, but you can't call Royal Blood a bit shite whilst defending the common-denominator b#llox that are Slaves. 

I agree there are other, better bands whose waves they are surfing, but Slaves aren't one of them and are probably equally as guilty. 

And (IMO) Royal Blood have the edge as they are better live than slaves, whilst the recorded output of both is of a similar standard.

 

(And I'd watch yourself with your public school analogy because Mardy would be the sort of prefect to have you bent over toasting his crumpets, I reckon). 

Well yes I can, because I'm a pompous arse! I can enjoy Slaves because I think that they have a clear idea of what they do. I'm not a huge fan at all, but I enjoy hearing them when they come on the radio and they were quite fun at Hell. they're a bit silly, but they know that. Royal Blood think that they are seriously talented rockers, and the song-wriring just ain't up to it. Put it another way - Royal Blood bore me, Slaves don't, by and large. I think I may have chosen a dreadful genre from which to shape my argument, as that sort of stuff is miles from my usual listening - I'm an obscure electronica/post rock/alt folk kind of boy!

And is Mardy a former posh school boy? Yikes! In my world you only smoke fags, not use them as a toast rack...

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

Well yes I can, because I'm a pompous arse! I can enjoy Slaves because I think that they have a clear idea of what they do. I'm not a huge fan at all, but I enjoy hearing them when they come on the radio and they were quite fun at Hell. they're a bit silly, but they know that. Royal Blood think that they are seriously talented rockers, and the song-wriring just ain't up to it. Put it another way - Royal Blood bore me, Slaves don't, by and large. I think I may have chosen a dreadful genre from which to shape my argument, as that sort of stuff is miles from my usual listening - I'm an obscure electronica/post rock/alt folk kind of boy!

And is Mardy a former posh school boy? Yikes! In my world you only smoke fags, not use them as a toast rack...

Ben

That's the cardinal rule for me really; genre, style, musicianship, none of this matters to me, the golden rule is just don't bore me.

hehehe, you'd have a hard job painting me as a posh public school type in reality. But i like the idea. Might get on ebay and buy myself a prefect badge for this years' meetup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People can like/dislike what they want on 'ere. I just wanted to foster debate by asking what (if anything) was "crappy" about that Kendrick performance.

For the record, the distinguishing element in good music is that intangible "how does it make me feel". If the performance has passion and commitment then that can o'er leap any edifice. Thus, Royal Blood are ace, Slaves are ace and that glorious showing from Kendrick is especially ace. Crap? Eh, not for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Biggie??? Hahaha

Harsh mate, I fucking love Biggie's delivery and style. I'm a newcomer to him, only really listened to him in the last couple fo months, having missed out at the time, but there's something really strong there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Harsh mate, I fucking love Biggie's delivery and style. I'm a newcomer to him, only really listened to him in the last couple fo months, having missed out at the time, but there's something really strong there.

I'd have Big Narsty ahead of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Fair dos. Slaves bore me. Royal blood don't. 

And with regards to Mardy, I meant that's what he'd be like if you placed him in your prefect/young boy analogy, rather than it being the reality. Likes of him wouldn't be allowed!

And should a Dr really be advocating the smoking of fags on the internet?? shame on you Dr Ben, tut tut and indeed tchsk.

Duly admonished, Scruffmeister.

I heard a news story yesterday about the significant global increase in tobacco consumption actually - seems counterintuitive to the changes we've seen in the UK in the past 20 years or so. It is, apparently, where the unscrupulous fat cats are directing their ever increasing piles of investment cash...

And I'm not a doctor at Glastonbury ;)

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As previously discussed, when BST announced Kendrick the wording suggested it was Kendrick's only festival but a tour of his own was still possible. With his popularity sky high at the moment, how big would the venues be? how many nights? etc etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Mardy said:

That's the cardinal rule for me really; genre, style, musicianship, none of this matters to me, the golden rule is just don't bore me.

hehehe, you'd have a hard job painting me as a posh public school type in reality. But i like the idea. Might get on ebay and buy myself a prefect badge for this years' meetup.

хорошая идея, Mardy

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×