Kendrick Lamar

kalifire

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Tell you what though, that Kenneth show definitely looked visually influenced by Kanye at the G.  Even down to the low ceiling bit.  A more successful variation on the same theme.

Yeah there was a very clear influence there. To tell the truth I get a nerdy kick from seeing the influence go from the NIN tour in 2014, to the Yeezus tour to this. Having seen all 3 I'd say each setup is equally impactful in and of itself, but Kenny by far and away got the most out of it. I was really impressed with how no-bullshit the whole thing was, whilst still being a big arena spectacle. And then at the same time it felt direct and visceral. He's going to absolutely nail the Glastonbury headliner slot when he gets the call.

1 minute ago, Mouseboy11 said:

There's this niggling feeling in my head that they won't book him to headline when it comes around next and I'm not sure why, they don't seem to go for real finger on the pulse headliners that often for me. I suppose they did book Kanye but it went pretty horribly by all accounts. 

Wasn't by all accounts. Was pretty split!

Anyway I don't know how 'finger on the pulse' booking K.Dot in 2019 would be. Booking in 2016/2017 woulda been; I'm not sure there's much anticipation that his next album will be his best

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Anyway I don't know how 'finger on the pulse' booking K.Dot in 2019 would be. Booking in 2016/2017 woulda been; I'm not sure there's much anticipation that his next album will be his best

Yes there is, you bumhat.

6 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

There's this niggling feeling in my head that they won't book him to headline when it comes around next and I'm not sure why, they don't seem to go for real finger on the pulse headliners that often for me. I suppose they did book Kanye but it went pretty horribly by all accounts. 

Nein it was banging. Book him again.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah true, opinion by people that were there was pretty split. I always felt like the impression from those that just watched it on TV was pretty poor though.

Yeah he'll have been around a fair while by the next time they could realistically book him, I just get the feeling that nearly all of their headliners appeal to an older crowd as well as a younger one that Kendrick doesn't. Even some of the artists they've booked recently that are more popular with a younger audience like Mumfords and Florence have an air of 'mum and dad album for christmas' about them that Kendrick doesn't. (I'm not sure if that makes much sense, find it hard to put the point across) :lol: 

Edited by Mouseboy11

1 minute ago, kingcrawler said:

I reckon Stormzy would be more likely to headline than Kendrick. Obviously Kendrick is a bigger deal but Stormzy got a pretty big slot last year and I think they'd be more likely to give Stormzy a chance given they could portray it as them pushing grime.

I doubt Stormzy will have a new album out in the next year to make his set any different. The years beyond that he has a good chance though, yeah.

1 hour ago, Sketchead said:

He was absolutely unbelievable on Monday night. Hoping to go to Wembley Arena next week if I can pick up face value tickets (or less, of course).

Anyone know if resale tickets (e.g. on Twickets) were readily available for his London shows this week?

There were a few, all seated I think

1 minute ago, kingcrawler said:

They had some solid supports for Eminem last year to be fair, Run the Jewels and Danny Brown if I remember correctly. Not saying I'm expecting that this time though.

Tbh they'll surely prove me wrong and pull it out of the bag. The supporting bills are usually quite strong regardless of what's happening at the Carling Weekend. Skepta would be solid, and N*E*R*D are supporting him in Paris, which would be kinda cool.

23 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If the support acts are rappers from the R+L lineup, I'd be worried if I were you.

Something like Brockhampton and Bicep (I know they're more dance than rap) would be pretty great, not really heard much of the others to judge them. 

Edited by addicted2noise