Kendrick Lamar

kalifire

42 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Is it worth dragging my mates along for Jamesy boy then? They're not mad into him and I've seen him plenty before, scurity is mad in Manchester is mental as well so don't wanna turn up at peak times.

Glad to hear it was good last night, I'm buzzin'. Set list looked good as well, puts to bed any rumours of a Black Panther heavy set.

I enjoyed him but I don't think he'll convert anyone if the crowd is like Dublin. In saying that they were fantastic for Kendrick himself.

Fucking next level stuff there. Loved the setlist choices, the staging, visuals, he was on point the entire way through. Felt absolutely buzzing all the way through, like when I used to first go to gigs as a teenager. Great crowd as well, guy next to me was absolutely nailing every verse which enhanced it, bit like having my own personal hype man. I had no idea about the B stage beforehand, until the man himself appeared a couple of feet to the side of me, that whole segment was incredible. :bow:

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It was generally great, but it was all over and done with quite quickly and GOD wasn't really the best choice of closer.

But on that evidence he's definitely a Glastonbury headliner.

How long wor it? I know he has form of not playing for that long; kinda what deterred me from shelling out for his own gig over catching him at a festival (although I regret this now so I’m not trying to pat myself on’t back).

I reckon he’s a front runner for next year’s Glastonbury. His pop culture dominance and soon-to-be proven headliner credentials are gonna stack up in time.

Hour and a half or so.

I definitely noticed it as usually when I leave gigs at the Hydro I have to leg it to make the last train whereas last night I found myself with time on my hands.

Although I guess the type of acts I've seen there have had longer careers and so would generally play for longer anyway - Prince, Neil Young and so on.

It was pretty excellent last night. Couldn't have asked for a much better set list really. He was on superb form in my opinion. I'd agree that the sound was a bit poor, but it didn't take away too much from the energy in that place. Dear god I hate that golden circle shit that they have though. Must be horrible to perform to a wee bunch at the front.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Hour and a half or so.

I definitely noticed it as usually when I leave gigs at the Hydro I have to leg it to make the last train whereas last night I found myself with time on my hands.

Although I guess the type of acts I've seen there have had longer careers and so would generally play for longer anyway - Prince, Neil Young and so on.

Just now, JBarbour said:

Rattled through 20 songs in about an hour and a half. Not much crowd interaction until last 3 songs 

That’s actually more than I was expecting. IIRC Coachella was a little shy of 80 mins. Least there’s nuff value across that 90.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

That’s actually more than I was expecting. IIRC Coachella was a little shy of 80 mins. Least there’s nuff value across that 90.

The more I have thought about this, the more I think a tight 90 mins is perfect for most headliners. If you go for longer slots and they don't have wall to wall hits then neutrals will get restless. 

I thought the sound was great in Manchester, watched James Blake from the upper tier and the sound could only be described as big. Then ended up migrating to stage right in the lower for KFK.

The crowd really were volleying all the words back at him too

20 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Would love to see what reaction he'd get if announced as a Glastonbury headliner, to see if the abuse Kanye's announcement got really was because of him being an egotist or whatever the fuck people claimed it was about.

Neil Lonsdale has already drafted the petition, ready to click "send" as soon as he's announced.