Kendrick Lamar

kalifire

What concerns me about popular artists like Kendrick who only tour very rarely (in comparison to the rest in the business) is that they can get away with charging extortionate prices for their tickets due to supply and demand.

People will reluctantly pay £80+ for a ticket as a ‘one off’ - and as can be seen, the tickets are selling like hot cakes. But then it becomes a vicious cycle. He’ll probably tour even less often in future and then his next lot of prices will be pushing £150 .. and people will still pay. 

This isn’t a dig at Kendrick - it’s more clever strategy by his management team. He still earns the dollar without burning himself out constantly touring the world. I think we will see this becoming a popular touring option for mega artists in the future, who’s livliehoods don’t depends on the money they earn from live shows. 

4 hours ago, st dan said:

What concerns me about popular artists like Kendrick who only tour very rarely (in comparison to the rest in the business) is that they can get away with charging extortionate prices for their tickets due to supply and demand.

People will reluctantly pay £80+ for a ticket as a ‘one off’ - and as can be seen, the tickets are selling like hot cakes. But then it becomes a vicious cycle. He’ll probably tour even less often in future and then his next lot of prices will be pushing £150 .. and people will still pay. 

This isn’t a dig at Kendrick - it’s more clever strategy by his management team. He still earns the dollar without burning himself out constantly touring the world. I think we will see this becoming a popular touring option for mega artists in the future, who’s livliehoods don’t depends on the money they earn from live shows. 

Yeah I agree. Reckon my only chance of seeing him until I'm earning proper money is at a festival. Really hope he headlines R&L next year and not Wireless. As naff as R&L is, I'd happily go there for the day to see him, especially as Leeds is my local major festival.

Saying that, I was probably gonna go to this tour if any of my friends had been willing :P

8 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

Yeah I agree. Reckon my only chance of seeing him until I'm earning proper money is at a festival. Really hope he headlines R&L next year and not Wireless. As naff as R&L is, I'd happily go there for the day to see him, especially as Leeds is my local major festival.

Saying that, I was probably gonna go to this tour if any of my friends had been willing :P

I’d be ecstatic now after seeing the arena prices, because there’s usually enough during the day at Leeds but but the headliners are dog shit. And I think it’s a decent possibility if Gabi from Primavera Sound is right in saying he’s back at the end of summer (or that translation is correct, should I say) but watch him end up at V now lmao.

25 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I’d be ecstatic now after seeing the arena prices, because there’s usually enough during the day at Leeds but but the headliners are dog shit. And I think it’s a decent possibility if Gabi from Primavera Sound is right in saying he’s back at the end of summer (or that translation is correct, should I say) but watch him end up at V now lmao.

Wasn't the actual quote that he'd be back at the end of the year but we just assumed he may have meant end of Summer instead? Or have I missed something on that. But yeah if he isn't around until late Summer there has to be a great chance; reckon he's more likely for R&L than V.

5 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Wasn't the actual quote that he'd be back at the end of the year but we just assumed he may have meant end of Summer instead? Or have I missed something on that. But yeah if he isn't around until late Summer there has to be a great chance; reckon he's more likely for R&L than V.

No I went and listened to it and yer man says ‘end of festival period’, but I’m not sure if he’s speculating that he could only play then or if he knows he is playing Europe then. Coming back at the end of the year makes little sense tho.

I agree he’s more likely for Reading but it’d be sod’s law that they’d fumble that and book some uninspired shite instead.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

No I went and listened to it and yer man says ‘end of festival period’, but I’m not sure if he’s speculating that he could only play then or if he knows he is playing Europe then. Coming back at the end of the year makes little sense tho.

I agree he’s more likely for Reading but it’d be sod’s law that they’d fumble that and book some uninspired shite instead.

Oh fuck that is encouraging, then! Yeah hope they don't do what they did this year and just go for the biggest bands possible. Then again based on his arena tour he's hardly small-fry now :P

seemed a bit of a shitshow that... got on Ticketmaster at 9 and the only standing tickets they had were £201, not even in the golden circle. Even when I tempted the idea of buying them they said they were sold out. Could only find seating on other websites, don't fancy it.

Tbh I can't really afford it anyway so I should be kinda happy, but I have £80 of Ticketmaster vouchers that run out in 5 days, so really I am wasting £80 not going...

Now more than ever my philosophy is to just go the gig and not stress *too* much over the cash.  Every sod is cashing in their chips left, right and centre at the minute and there's a long time to repent at leisure if you decide not to see a favourite act delivering the goods just to save yourself a tenner.

10 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Did you not get any?

Nah was pretty adamant I was only gonna pay the silly prices if I could get standing and they were all gone too fast (although frustratingly a bunch of single tickets kept popping up throughout the day on Eventim so I probably could've just got those twice over, but didn't think that far ahead).

Obviously gutted I'm not going, but could really do with not shelling out £90 right now so not too bad, and it also allows me to go to a bunch of smaller gigs - Julie Byrne, The Horrors, possibly The War on Drugs as well, so not all bad.

Just looking at the setlists from the US leg of the tour; nowhere near as many 2PAB tracks as I'd like and Section 80 pretty much absent, but he's so insanely consistent that he can roll out pretty much any random handful of tracks from any post-GKMC project and it's an amazing setlist. It does sting a bit that The Blacker The Berry isn't in rotation at all though,  I know a lot of 2PAB wouldn't fit in with a DAMN set, but surely i, Blacker The Berry, King Kunta, and Alright should be concrete mainstays. I'm really happy that two Untitleds have made it into the regular setlist though; maybe not a popular opinion, but I think Blue Faces is his best track in terms of pure rapping, and if the tour version turns out anything like the version he did on Stephen Colebear's show then it's going to be the hands down high point of the show.