Kendrick Lamar

kalifire

• 3 months later...

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/denis-desmond-live-nation-actions-speak-louder-than-words-and-the-support-we-give-artists-speaks-for-itself/

I think the next generation is definitely out there. All you’ve got to do is look at the recent sales for The Killers arena tour, practically every show is sold out – multiple nights in London, multiple nights in Birmingham and Manchester. The Killers can be around for as long as they want to be.

Royal Blood are doing three sold out shows at Ally Pally, which is very strong for a band that’s only on their second album. Rag N Bone man’s doing really well. Drake was a huge tour for us, Bruno Mars was very, very successful, we’re looking at dates for Kendrick Lamar late this year/early next year. Kanye West will come to Europe some time next year, so there are plenty of big artists out there on their way up.

A classic example is Queens of the Stone Age. They’ve been around 15 years now – they’ve played the festivals at 3pm in the afternoon, they’ve worked their way up the bill and they’re now a headliner and they will be headlining their own open air shows next summer. They’ve already sold 20,000 tickets for their Wembley Arena and O2 shows later this year, and the [new] album isn’t out until August.

Twenty One Pilots are no doubt a headliner of the future, as are The 1975 and Catfish and the Bottlemen, who recently did Finsbury Park for us, where we sold 32,500 tickets.

23 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Kendrick aside, the buried lede here is faintly terrifying.

Yeah. Catfish and the Bittlement being 'future headliners' makes me feel faintly ill. And what's all that rubbish about taking credit for "being good at selling tickets"? People go to gigs because they like the music, not because of which global mega-snake is 'promoting' it. Fuck sake.

Edited by Zac Quinn

2 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Yeah. Catfish and the Bittlement being 'future headliners' makes me feel faintly ill. And what's all that rubbish about taking credit for "being good at selling tickets"? People go to gigs because they like the music, not because of which global mega-snake is 'promoting' it. Fuck sake.

You never went to the iTunes festival I take it? ;) 

2 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Applied a few times but only because artists were playing that I liked because of their music :P Also least with Apple they have people behind the scenes who have opinions on music (or at least do these days). Going by that article Live Nation apparently just look at it as "this band sells lots of tickets therefore this band is good". Yuck.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

It's going to be 75 quid a ticket at the O2, isn't it?

J Cole tickets are about £60 after fees and Kendrick is way bigger than him. Hip hop acts tend to charge more than rock bands a similar size to them, from my experience anyway. £75 sounds likely but it could be even worse than that, especially if he doesn't do many dates.

57 minutes ago, Tuna said:

I went to shitloads of iTunes festival shows. Dunno why but I'd always get tickets for everything I entered, I was either lucky or somehow my email address was always in their system. One year (2013) I saw QOTSA, Arctic Monkeys, Elton, Pixies, Kings of Leon and Dizzee.

24 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It's going to be 75 quid a ticket at the O2, isn't it?

That is completely fine by me, thought it would be something super stupid like £90-100

Arcade Fire was £65, and Muse cost me £70 last year at the O2. 

Oh the joys of rising gig prices

20 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I went to shitloads of iTunes festival shows. Dunno why but I'd always get tickets for everything I entered, I was either lucky or somehow my email address was always in their system. One year (2013) I saw QOTSA, Arctic Monkeys, Elton, Pixies, Kings of Leon and Dizzee.

Hah likewise, same year I saw Arctics, Sigur Ros and Pixies. 

I think Drake being so expensive relative to others (£112 at the O2) must have had some link to the pound crashing relative to the dollar a few months before so there was a mega escalation in price. But rates haven't moved that much so I reckon Kendrick is going to be mega too (but a bit less)

Ugh I want to see Kendrick more than any artist touring at the moment. But not sure I could justify circa £100 on any single gig - for a couple of hours max in the fucking O2. Even for Kenny. :( Hope it's not that much, but can definitely see it happening.

• Upvote 1