Kendrick Lamar

kalifire

9 minutes ago, Badlands said:

What's his current size in the UK? Would he sell arenas like The Weeknd is doing? I like the bloke and would love him to play, it would be quite a push to have him headline currently though surely?

Probably.. difficult to know because he never tours properly, but he co-headlined Wireless and subbed Leeds on his last album so it'll be headline or nothing for him on the next one. And there's no doubt he's one of those acts that are important enough to warrant a headline booking, even if their ticket-selling prowess isn't quite up there, if it's a choice between that or them not playing at all.

Edited by Zac Quinn

As far as I can see, Kendirck is in a tricky position for Glasto. He's too big for any of the stages where a hip hop act might be suitable to headline, but he's not popular enough to be likely to fill a headline or sub position at a major stage like Pyramid or Other.

I can't place him.

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

As far as I can see, Kendirck is in a tricky position for Glasto. He's too big for any of the stages where a hip hop act might be suitable to headline, but he's not popular enough to be likely to fill a headline or sub position at a major stage like Pyramid or Other.

I can't place him.

Did you just suggest Kendrick wouldn't fill the Other field in a sub slot? What? He's way too big for that. 

Tbh if Glasto know it isn't on next year to grab him as a headliner on the back of the next album they may as well try and get him as a sub this year imo. Below Radiohead would be perfect and below Sheeran would work too tbh. If he were to headline Other I could only see it opposite Foos which would tie in nicely with Neil's info about a hip-hop Other Stage on that day (would obviously need the alt-J info to be incorrect).

Don't expect him, though, unfortunately.

Kendrick subbing ed would be terrible. The crowd would be completely dead. He needs to headline the other if he is here this year. Jonh Peel opposite Ed would be good too with the increased size of the tent and with ed taking large numbers.

57 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Did you just suggest Kendrick wouldn't fill the Other field in a sub slot? What? He's way too big for that. 

Yep. The Glastonbury demographic just isn't skewed towards hip hop. It doesn't matter how commercially successful they are. They have to be 'legend' status or have mainstream radio appeal. Glastonbury just isn't a hip hop festival. I don't think that's a controversial opinion, just look at the line up from previous years.

Yep. The Glastonbury demographic just isn't skewed towards hip hop. It doesn't matter how commercially successful they are. They have to be 'legend' status or have mainstream radio appeal. Glastonbury just isn't a hip hop festival. I don't think that's a controversial opinion, just look at the line up from previous years.

But Kendrick's appeal stretches much more beyond your average hip-hop fan, his music is extremely popular amongst young people/ average pop music fans for his hits (Swimming Pools, Poetic Justice City etc.) and gained a wider appeal with all the accolades To Pimp a Butterfly received. 

Is Kendrick not mainstream? He's probably one of the most regularly played artists at stuff like pre-drinks/parties in my experience over the past few years.

The likes of Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe, Backstreet Freestyle, Swimming Pools and King Kunta are huge, mainstream songs.

Easily big enough to headline Other or sub Pyramid imo. He subbed Reading 2 years ago and went down really well, and I don't imagine obscure rappers would do well in that slot.

Can't see Glasto taking a chance on him when he hits headline status, though, until he's proved himself as a headliner at other fests. So as I said they may as well try and get him as a non-headliner this year knowing that it'll be a good few years until they want him back as a headliner.

Hopefully once the album is announced he confirms a few European festivals to make it look like more than a pipe dream.

13 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

Is Kendrick not mainstream? He's probably one of the most regularly played artists at stuff like pre-drinks/parties in my experience over the past few years.

I'm just saying he seems to me to be popular (as you mentioned), but not necessarily mainstream. Not that he needs to be - the Glasto booking team are a savvy lot and won't just look at chart success. They will definitely be aware of him and I seriously hope he's there because I'd be front and centre.

I guess I'm just preparing myself for disappointment. I've had three years practice. Fingers crossed this year.

Wouldn't it be a little weird if we had all the coachella headliners at Glastonbury this year though? Radiohead, Lady Gaga, Kendrick Lamar. I don't think I've ever seen that happen before. I'd love it too but it just doesn't seem right to be sharing all the big acts with one particular festival, especially if The XX and Lorde play, who are 2nd from top...

1 hour ago, Acid_Haze said:

Wouldn't it be a little weird if we had all the coachella headliners at Glastonbury this year though? Radiohead, Lady Gaga, Kendrick Lamar. I don't think I've ever seen that happen before. I'd love it too but it just doesn't seem right to be sharing all the big acts with one particular festival, especially if The XX and Lorde play, who are 2nd from top...

Does it not look good for Glastonbury though if two of the Coachella headliners are playing in non-headline slots?

3 hours ago, Acid_Haze said:

If they're available then I doubt they'd turn any of them down just because a festival on the other side of the world has them all.