Kendrick Lamar

kalifire

• 3 weeks later...

I'm remaining optimistic. He's one of the wildcards that would really make my festival. I'm hoping he's there and the predicted lineup gets a small reshuffle.

LCD>Muse on the Pyramid

Kendrick headlining the Other.

Slim chance, but I'm remaining hopeful :) If they haven't booked him this year I think it would be a serious oversight. He's one of the hottest and most important acts in music right now. Isn't that what Glastonbury is all about when it comes to the big acts? 

If he isn't there this year, he has to headline next year. If they don't act fast, R/L will pounce. Glastonbury should be the festival that really exposes him to the UK masses.

15 minutes ago, st dan said:

With the initial lineup looking imminent, what's everybody's thinking on the likelihood of Kendrick appearing?

Are we taking the BST 'exclusive' as being the final nail in the coffin, or is there still glimmer of a chance? 

Looks like it's not happening, but hope springs eternal, it ain't over until the fat lady sings, and other idioms.

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

I'm remaining optimistic. He's one of the wildcards that would really make my festival. I'm hoping he's there and the predicted lineup gets a small reshuffle.

LCD>Muse on the Pyramid

Kendrick headlining the Other.

Slim chance, but I'm remaining hopeful :) If they haven't booked him this year I think it would be a serious oversight. He's one of the hottest and most important acts in music right now. Isn't that what Glastonbury is all about when it comes to the big acts? 

If he isn't there this year, he has to headline next year. If they don't act fast, R/L will pounce. Glastonbury should be the festival that really exposes him to the UK masses.

Foals are pretty much stuck on to be subbing Muse. 

• 11 months later...
Just now, jparx said:

How dare you bump this thread without strong info to suggest he's playing :lol:

Although he's probably verging on being too big to do anything but headline now, a new album certainly makes him far more of a possibility than he was before (although still not much). 

Explains why he's headlining Coachella this year as well - thought it was odd he'd be doing it with no new material.

EXCITING!

On 3/28/2016 at 9:09 PM, jparx said:

Might be an issue around him playing G next year...

Am I the only person who has never heard of him outside of mentions on this forum? That's no criticism of his work at all - I'd heard of Jay-Z and Kanye but not because of their music. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Depends on where you get your info from, I guess - he's way less of a celeb than the latter two, no famous wife, etc  so isn't really in the tabloids.

Most publications / channels that treat music as more than a distraction from the fame of the person making it tend to cover him / take him seriously.

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

6 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Might be an issue around him playing G next year...

Am I the only person who has never heard of him outside of mentions on this forum? That's no criticism of his work at all - I'd heard of Jay-Z and Kanye but not because of their music. 

Tbf that comment is a year old and referring to this year :lol:

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Depends on where you get your info from, I guess - he's way less of a celeb than the latter two, no famous wife, etc  so isn't really in the tabloids.

Most publications / channels that treat music as more than a distraction from the fame of the person making it tend to cover him / take him seriously.

I guess I don't really get info from anywhere - don't listen to the radio or read the music press any more, and don't touch the entertainment sections in newspapers... but through whatever cultural osmosis I've always known who the Glastonbury headliners were, even if I've never heard a single one of their songs (which goes as much for Ed and Adele as Kanye). 

Just now, DeanoL said:

I guess I don't really get info from anywhere - don't listen to the radio or read the music press any more, and don't touch the entertainment sections in newspapers... but through whatever cultural osmosis I've always known who the Glastonbury headliners were, even if I've never heard a single one of their songs (which goes as much for Ed and Adele as Kanye). 

Yeah - in the UK at least he doesn't have the sort of fame that's seeped beyond the borders of music fandom and into the wider culture at large.  His every coming and going isn't reported as if it's news, so he's probably more similar to Arcade Fire in that respect than he is to Jay-Z. 

Does it really matter if he's not as big as recent headliners though? He's fresh, hungry and at the peak of his powers. If he was headlining instead of Radiohead, for example, it wouldn't have a long term damaging impact. I think the festival has a bit of a responsibility to champion fresh, exciting music, so why not take a punt on him?