Kendrick Lamar

kalifire

Worthy of his own thread, I think. Who else is hoping he'll make an appearance next year?

I rate 'good kid, m.A.A.d. city' as a truly great hip-hop record, but was disappointed by his latest single, 'I', which you can hear here. It's radio-friendly bilge until about 2m 43s, after which it suddenly turns into something much better.

Still, with a new album on the way and solid guest appearances, I'm hopeful for something strong from Kendrick soon, and surely a Pyramid slot in 2015.

Worthy of his own thread, I think. Who else is hoping he'll make an appearance next year?

I rate 'good kid, m.A.A.d. city' as a truly great hip-hop record, but was disappointed by his latest single, 'I', which you can hear here. It's radio-friendly bilge until about 2m 43s, after which it suddenly turns into something much better.

Still, with a new album on the way and solid guest appearances, I'm hopeful for something strong from Kendrick soon, and surely a Pyramid slot in 2015.

I think 'I' is great. But then I think the automatic association of 'radio-friendly' with lack of quality is childish so what do I know?

Given that good kid, m.A.A.d city was all about rising above the pull of the life it described, I'd have actually been disappointed with an album that sounded exactly the same.

I think the automatic association of 'radio-friendly' with lack of quality is childish so what do I know?

Why do you think that? I used 'radio friendly' as a description because the first half seems to be concerned about a catchy hook, but the second half is how it should sound if it was decent all the way along. It's not hard to imagine he's trying to attract a radio audience, and it's not hard to imagine that cheap sounding hip-pop is how he'd do it. It's a tried and tested strategy, but I'm not sure why you'd consider a link like that as 'childish'?

'i' is a decent song but i'd find it hard to believe that he wasn't thinking 'first single' when he wrote it. very different from anything on good kid, but fuck it, it's ridiculously catchy. i wouldn't want his new album to be a repeat of the last album but i definitely think / hope that the rest is quite a bit different from this, otherwise he'd be at risk of falling into late-Eminem territory

I find it kind of lazy to think that hip hop can earn one of two slots at a pretty diverse festival. Kendrick Lamar is a lot bigger than Professor Green, or he certainly will be when the new album drops. Same for Frank Ocean who I maintain will headline Other.

not really lazy to assume that a huge act will be on the biggest stage at the festival? the hip hop slot comment was just in jest, although it does seem to be a 'thing' at the festival despite people not wanting to acknowledge it. i honestly can't see where else he'd play. main stage act through and through

not really lazy to assume that a huge act will be on the biggest stage at the festival? the hip hop slot comment was just in jest, although it does seem to be a 'thing' at the festival despite people not wanting to acknowledge it. i honestly can't see where else he'd play. main stage act through and through

Don't get me wrong, I do think the hip hop slot is loosely a thing and that Kendrick Lamar could take it (but be a bit higher, like 3rd) but I don't think rap artists will only be offered West Holts or Friday afternoon Pyramid, not that I'm suggesting people do think that but before it becomes a formula or whatever.

Why do you think that? I used 'radio friendly' as a description because the first half seems to be concerned about a catchy hook, but the second half is how it should sound if it was decent all the way along. It's not hard to imagine he's trying to attract a radio audience, and it's not hard to imagine that cheap sounding hip-pop is how he'd do it. It's a tried and tested strategy, but I'm not sure why you'd consider a link like that as 'childish'?

Heavens forbid.

i think the catchiness of the new song is a shock because none of his previous songs (except his guest features) seem to have been concerned with such a huge pop hook. his songs were catchy, but in a more traditional hip-hop way, whereas this one goes straight for the huge sing along chorus. but as a fan of extremely catchy pop music, now that the initial shock has gone, i love it!

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

i honestly couldn't care less where he ended up, just as long as he's there! Pyramid sub definitely seems more likely imo, but an Other headline slot would really be special (especially up against... well, any of the suggested headliners)

Pyramid sub, bumped up to headline when Adele falls off stage in Sweden.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TiZuff said:

So he is doing BST, does that mean no chance of glastonbury or more chance?!??! 

You'd hope more as the festival would be silly to pass up booking him when he's around. Doesn't seem to be a particularly high percentage of BST acts that play Glastonbury the same year though (not the high ups anyway). Fingers crossed. I'd given up hope of this happening any time soon so I'm so stoked that it now seems possible

On 03/12/2015, 09:53:28, FloorFiller said:

You'd hope more as the festival would be silly to pass up booking him when he's around. Doesn't seem to be a particularly high percentage of BST acts that play Glastonbury the same year though (not the high ups anyway). Fingers crossed. I'd given up hope of this happening any time soon so I'm so stoked that it now seems possible

Tbf though, PSB, Y&Y, The Who & Weller ;), Vintage Trouble, Rae Morris, AF, Jake Bugg, Wild Beasts and a couple others. There is a few although I'll admit is tends to off the lower end of what thw punter won't make a point of paying to see. It could go either way Kenrick, if he even wants to do it.