ilbeyene

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think the last possibilities are:

-sharing third headliner with pukkelpop, which can only be Kol or a rapper like Kanye if it's a big name.

-the team of sziget gives a lot of money to a band like Muse to do a date which is totally out of their tour plans.

IF we get one massive name the other free slots will be filled with who's around Europe eg: offspring, FFS, Nutini.. Otherwise, they'll fill 'em the same

Unless the Arena has a full line up in the day that they're yet to announce, the likes of Tame Impala, War on Drugs, Hot Chip and Caribou (you know, the actually critically acclaimed touring bands who should be all over this line up) seem unlikely. That's a real pity as even a couple of those would make a huge difference.

The headliner game seems a bit hard to predict. Offspring on Sunday makes sense, and they're a great live band who I'd be more than happy to see again. I'm not really in to them but they blew me away when I saw them.

Kanye and Muse have been rumoured a bit, but I can't see it really. They do need to pull the stops out though and they probably know it too so maybe...

Check the conditions and terms:

http://szigetfestival.com/content/_common/attachments/gctc_locker.pdf

5. Service conditions 5.1. Locker owners can share their lockers with friends and travel partners, but only two keys are available. We do not advise to carry both keys, because of security reason

I hope it's magnetic keys like the paycard so I will put both of them on my Sziget necklace! If it's key as in key then it sucks! I also took one ;)

Hey guys, me and a few friends are off to Sziget this year, it'll be our first time there!

I just wanted to ask a few questions and would appreciate if anyone could help (:

- What are the drink prices like??

- We've booked VIP, anyone who's stayed vip before, is it worth it?? Are the toilets/showers any better??

- Is the cashless system as easy as it sounds, is it worth getting the watch which seems safer than a card?

- Do they ID at the bars, we're all 23 but would be easier not having to carry ID everywhere

- Is the city pass worth it??

Thanks muchos (:

1) Beer is dirt cheap, like 2 Euro or something. Spirits and the like are more but still less expensive than UK Fesivals I'm sure.

2) Haven't been VIP

3) Dead easy, just top it up ASAP and realistically so you don't have to keep queuing to top it up. As long as you look after it it's so simple

4) Don't believe I was ever ID'd. I was 27 but I look young enough.

5) Definitely worth it. 20 quid for the whole trip to get around town, to and from the airport, into a spa for free, I think the Citypass is fantastic, even if you're not really going to explore Budapest that much you'd surely pay that at each end of the trip to get about anyway?

Nice one, thanks mate!

We usually go to Bestival every year but it feels like it's getting a little old and there's nothing that enticing this year that stands out.

The only international festival I've done is Benicassim, but I think Sziget is a totally different beast.

I remember paying £5 for a pint in Bestival last year, such a rip off! Is the food also cheap in Sziget?

Do people try and smuggle alcohol (bottles of spirits and stuff) onto the islands and into the campsites? With there being a ban on alcohol from outside, do people not tend to have a drink at their tents before going out/coming back?

Sorry for the 20Q lol

It's all good I'm at work for the night so it's keeping my mind engaged ;)

Never done Beni and usually just do Glastonbury and in many ways Sziget is just as special, you'll love it.

I think the food is cheap enough from what I remember. maybe not as monumentally cheap as the drink? I do remember the meals we had in Budapest being cheap though. And slizes of pizza onsite definitely are haha.

Some of the searches going onto the island were quite vigorous so we didn't chance any alcohol to be honest.

- What are the drink prices like??

- Is the cashless system as easy as it sounds, is it worth getting the watch which seems safer than a card?

- Do they ID at the bars, we're all 23 but would be easier not having to carry ID everywhere

- Is the city pass worth it??

The only international festival I've done is Benicassim, but I think Sziget is a totally different beast.

I remember paying £5 for a pint in Bestival last year, such a rip off! Is the food also cheap in Sziget?

Do people try and smuggle alcohol (bottles of spirits and stuff) onto the islands and into the campsites? With there being a ban on alcohol from outside, do people not tend to have a drink at their tents before going out/coming back?

Just to back up previous answers and add on, drinks are indeed cheap. Less than £2 a pint and a glass of wine wasn't much more than that. Spirits a bit more expensive, but I guess it depends on your choice of tipple. We never tried to sneak anything in because a cold pint was cheap enough, though I've read stories of people buying booze from the local supermarket online so I assume people found a way to stuck that in.

The food ranges in price. The snack stuff is well cheap, a small chicken kebab was only about £2 and was well nice, decent sized pizza slices I think were about £3. There were more gourmet options that cost more, particularly the Transylvanian BBQ (though the food was really good despite being expensive), but we tended to stick to the cheaper stuff and just have bits as we went. The quality of the food was streets ahead of what you get in the UK, not dissimilar to Beni in truth as in both cases the food is provided by locals.

It's completely different to Beni really. The weather is pretty similar, but there are far less Brits (maybe 5% instead of 30 odd at Beni) which in reality means a lot less idiots. The programme runs in quite a similar fashion, though the main stage finishes earlier at Sziget and they have more smaller night time shows than Beni does instead. Generally speaking there's a lot more to do at Sziget. It's much more open, about ten times as big desite a similar attendance and there's more shade, benches, bars etc. There's far less big stuff to watch in the day than at Bestival (only two main international stages plus the World Stage and smaller stages), and people seem to appear at around 7pm from nowhere and stick on through the night.

We aren't camping, so the city pass is vital for us. The city centre is a similar distance as Beni is to the town centre there, and a city pass gets your unlimited travel access on that front, plus your flight transfers and free entry to one of the baths (which I'd definitely advise, we'll go to one on most days to unwind).

Edited by edfirth

Although I really did enjoy Beni, I just found it to be a bit lacklustre, the gates to the festival didn't open until relatively late, it's basically set in one big tarmac car park and just seemed a bit eh, especially coming from Bestival where there's SO much side stuff happening apart from the music all day and night long.

Do you know if they sell cider at Sziget? Probably not I'm thinking.

I'm basically a cider & spirits guy, but can make do with wine if I must :P

As you've both recommended the citypass I'll definitely check it out, it seems worth it just for the transfers and free bath visit!

Do you find yourself rushing around to do everything or is there plenty of time to do and see what you want? We'll be arriving on the Sunday 9th and leaving on Tuesday 18th so should have spare time to look around Budapest too!

I won't answer to the previous question as they told you what needed to be told :)

I don't know the ciders.

I wasn't rushing at all last year. I woke up between 10 and 12 depending on the night before and had stuff to do until 4. You won't be bored in 7 days don't worry. If the first concert of the main stage isnt appealing you can stay walking around doing activities 'til the next concert. Etc...

Although I really did enjoy Beni, I just found it to be a bit lacklustre, the gates to the festival didn't open until relatively late, it's basically set in one big tarmac car park and just seemed a bit eh, especially coming from Bestival where there's SO much side stuff happening apart from the music all day and night long.

As you've both recommended the citypass I'll definitely check it out, it seems worth it just for the transfers and free bath visit!

Do you find yourself rushing around to do everything or is there plenty of time to do and see what you want? We'll be arriving on the Sunday 9th and leaving on Tuesday 18th so should have spare time to look around Budapest too!

If anything, there's too much time to chill out. Plenty of time to get around Budapest. You could do that every day and still not miss a lot. Not sure you'd want to though, it's not like London/Berlin where you could spent weeks there and not run out of stuff to do.

I didn't see cider, but there's so much wine choice it's unreal. There's even a wine village! (which is super cool)

Given this year's line up there will be times when I'm bored, and there was last time I went in 2013. At night time, there's loads of good stuff on. Day time, the line up is thin.

Edited by edfirth

Good news! The last two years they have sold cider in cans the little shop which is kind of like a cafe on the back road of the festival. I think it was Somersby cider (if not it was very much like Somersby). The shop was next to the mini police station thingy and it won't move as it's in a building which is open outside of festival times too. They also sell things like energy drinks and hungarian cooked snacks, all cheap as chips.

I have been to many many festivals and Sziget is anything but lacklustre. There are so many things to do and see and the island is beautiful, even the campsites are beautiful.

Thank you guys for all this useful info - as a Sziget newbie, it's really helpful. Now we're looking forward to tomorrow's headliner announcement - if it's Muse, I'll be happy.

But as a Glastonbury veteran, who's been watching all the "headliner" / Harvey Goldsmith discussions, I'm glad to hear that Sziget is also about far more than the headliners .....

Edited by Magic Bus

Thank you guys for all this useful info - as a Sziget newbie, it's really helpful. Now we're looking forward to tomorrow's headliner announcement - if it's Muse, I'll be happy.

But as a Glastonbury veteran, who's been watching all the "headliner" / Harvey Goldsmith discussions, I'm glad to hear that Sziget is also about far more than the headliners .....

It's Kings of Leon