ilbeyene

Hi

I looked at flying into Bratislava for the same reason. i did some research and it seems quite a lot of people do this to save money, seems quite easy too with a train transfer between the two places.

i guess its money Vs time / convience. i decided i couldnt be arsed so just payed the extra ££ and am flying from Heathrow :)

Cheers for the feedback,

We've decided to fly into Bratislava and get the train up then fly home from Budapest.

Worked out slightly cheaper then flying directly to and from Buda!

Spending 2 nights in Budapest before the festival starts as well

Really looking forward to it now

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New dates:

Avicii on the 14th after Kasabian

Alt-J and Halestorm on the 12th

Ellie Goulding on the 13th. With Interpol and Foals on the same day I guess one of them is headlining (probably her... unless we have another DJ after but I doubt it).

Limp Bizkit on the 16th, probably subbing Martin Garrix.

New dates:

Avicii on the 14th after Kasabian

Alt-J and Halestorm on the 12th

Ellie Goulding on the 13th. With Interpol and Foals on the same day I guess one of them is headlining (probably her... unless we have another DJ after but I doubt it).

Limp Bizkit on the 16th, probably subbing Martin Garrix.

Backs up what I thought about Kasabian not headlining, though I'm sure Kasabian fans will argue that it's just a DJ after Kasabian. Avicii is huge though and a valid headliner in his own right. Kasabian aren't big anywhere other than in the UK (their last four albums have charted at 1 in the UK but other than Ireland haven't been higher than 10 anywhere else in Europe. Italy is the only non-UK and Ireland place they've had a single chart in the top 40). They get high slots because they attract British fans over. They played Hurricane when I went there and subbed Lily Allen on the second stage and they played Coachella last year I think and were half way down the fourth stage.

If Limp Bizkit sub Martin Garrix that's an absolute joke of a closing night on the main stage. An 18 year old 'DJ' who's had one hit subbed by a band that stopped being relevant at the turn of the millennium, which would be OK apart from the fact that they weren't even that big in the first place. They seem to get better slots now than they did then.

If Ellie Goulding headlines above Interpol and Foals it's just weird. She's nothing like them at all. They'll probably look at the line up with her at the top and wonder what the hell they've let themselves in for. I'm all for mixing it up a bit, but Interpol and Ellie Goulding are polar opposites.

Alt-J headlining the opening day I have little opinion on (if they actually are). It's the Wednesday so I'd understand them not having a big name on given they've got six other nights to fill. They should focus on having big names at the weekend (though it often doesn't turn out that way).

I'm actually more concerned now than I was before. There's a possibility there's only one headliner TBA whereas I thought there were two.

Edited by edfirth

Maybe I'm wrong but I remember I read somewhere that dropkick Murphys are on the 14th. If it's right it's a good day for me at the main stage, I'll have a lot of fun. With a good headliner on the 15th and chemicals after Florence I'll be happy. 16th and 13th could be way better. But I would like to spend time at all the stages so I don't care if we don't have 7 great headliners on the main. Anyway, never stop dreaming, are we at 50% of the lineup?

Edited by Diocane

Spending 2 nights in Budapest before the festival starts,

Can anyone recommend any half decent hostels/hotels to stay in?

Cheers :biggrin:

Hi

I arrive on the Thursday before the festival and i am staying in Easy Hotel. Its a budget place and when i booked it (a while ago) was super cheap.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/hu/easyhotel-budapest-oktogon.en-gb.html?aid=311076;label=easyhotel-budapest-oktogon-L59NTk5QK2r6gyUPgADVtgS19866082860%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap2600%2C000%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg;sid=7365a7af981b6d7fa45ff37403dab650;dcid=1;ucfs=1;srfid=2c44224965b588b9cc8e82152903750af714ac11X1;highlight_room=

(hopefully that link works?!)

The weather is hot. A jumper isn't really a required item of clothing, even at night. The food at the festival is the best I've come across at a festival in terms choice, in the top three taste wise and amongst the cheapest too (shout out to the Gyros stalls selling small chicken kebabs for £2 each).

I have to disagree I'm afraid. I went in 2012 and it was hot pretty much all day and at night I usually went out in a bikini top and hotpants and had no need for a sleeping bag in my tent. Last year however it got really cold late at night, every night. I had to buy a hoodie and borrow a sleeping bag and I was still cold.

I have to disagree I'm afraid. I went in 2012 and it was hot pretty much all day and at night I usually went out in a bikini top and hotpants and had no need for a sleeping bag in my tent. Last year however it got really cold late at night, every night. I had to buy a hoodie and borrow a sleeping bag and I was still cold.

I didn't go last year!

I've been on that island 6 times and it's usually hot:

2009 hot

2010 hot

2011 warm daytime, cold nightime (but one night the temperature was 8°)

2012 hot

2013 hot as hell (35°- 38° daytime, 19°- 24° nightime)

2014 so fucking cold

Let's hope for a good year. 2012 was perfect for weather.

Edited by ilbeyene

On a personal level I'd be delighted if he played. Headline above Alt-J?

Probably the best hip hop act doing the festival circuit this summer. Has a good band, not only hip hop but a mixture of different influences. Not a stadium filler like eminem but in terms of quality he's super good and I like him too. Alt j + Kendrick could be a very interesting night

I agree last year was really cold at night! I didn't have a sleeping bed so I think I'll take one in prevention with a hoodie.

I was only thinking of things like this the other day (i've never been to Hungary).

Hoodies and sleeping bags take up space in my luggage, and seems ive got to train to london, get flights, taxis and so on...i want to pack light.

I have a fleece lined thermal sleeping bag liner, its warm and packs down to the size of your fist. so im going to take this and buy and blanket there. Would also like to buy an airbed over there, must sell them? surely?! (i dont like the foam roll matts, which seem to be referred to as "mattresses" on the sziget site! )

Hoodies also take up valuble room. Ive done a lot of camping (via motorcycle so need to pack light) and festivals and i've always worn a tight fitting long sleeve base layer, with a t-shirt or maybe a thin jumper over the top. it's all about layers when it comes to keeping warm.

Or just get drunk so you cant feel the cold? :)

Sziget is getting closer, so it's indeed time to start thinking about packing. Since it all has to fit in (or strapped to) a large backpack, and have to carry it, packing light is the way to go.

I think tent, mattress, sleeping bag take up most space.

I read there is a big supermarket close to the festival selling all kinds of camping gear.

I'm not sure yet what to bring as mattress. I like to sleep a bit comfortable :-) so the foam rolls are a no-go, also don't like the cheep air mattresses. And the good air mattresses are heavy. Think I'll take a thin self inflatable mattress with me. And definitely taking a hoodie.

Does anybody have any other good tips on what to bring?

You can find some blankets and stuff at the Auchan (i'll buy my 20e tent there). Keep in mind that this year it might be different, as ilbeyene showed us it varies but it was never cold 2 years in a row so might be unuseful. The best thing to do is to pack light as you wish and if you find it cold the first night drink lots of alcohol and go to the Auchan the next day.

PS: We'll have the daily schedule in may.

I'm not as clued up as you guys but on every page they make a point of keeping Robbie, Florence, Avicii and Garrix seperate from the others - does this not suggest they are the headliners and others are not? Therefore should we not still expect three?

The thinking is that those are definitely headliners (Though I think Avicii is a sort of co-headliner with Kasabian personally) and the others may or may not be depending on whether they can book someone bigger between now and then.

100 days to go!

Based on the day splits we know so far, what do you guys think your favourite day of the 7 will be?

Interpol day, because Interpol.

It will be Dixon day when Dixon's day gets announced. If Dixon is on Interpol day then I am forever happy.

For now the friday is my favorite. Dropkick Murphys, The Gaslight Anthem, Awolnation, Knife Party, Kasabian and Avicii. Both good rock and good electro!

Edit: I wouldn't call Avicii good electro but I'll definitely enjoy his show!

Edited by Noeliam

On a more rounded note, and using the site Noeliam put up on the szigetnews site and assuming the day splits are correct, I'm quite happy I don't have Mon-Tues tickets because there's nothing for me there, then my days look like...

Wednesday- Alt-J, Boban i Marko and SBTRKT (and Alt-J and Boban i Marko will probably clash unless Alt-J headline)

Thursday- Interpol, Foals, High Contrast, Maccabees

Friday- Kasabian

Saturday- Vitalic, Nero

Sunday- Jose Gonzalez

So at least I have at least something on every day to see, with around half the acts I like so far yet to have their day announced, though that's stretching it on the Friday Sunday as I don't like the newer music by either Kasabian or Jose Gonzalez. There are acts I'd see that I haven't mentioned but I wouldn't in any way look forward to them.

When I last went (2013) there was nothing I was particularly interested in on the Saturday, when Mika headlined, so I'm hoping for an improvement on that front this time around! It's a bit rubbish when you're at a festival for a whole day with nothing worth watching on.

Edited by edfirth

Kendrick Lamar will play Life Festival in Poland (20-21 august). Looks very likely for the saturday or sunday (I hope we're gonna have Limp Bizkit-Kendrick Lamar-Martin Garrix and keep a big headliner for the saturday!

That would be great because the Sunday is terrible for me right now, but I guess we'll see.