Can't get Glasto off work!

gmb1992

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell them you're getting married that weekend as well, they can't turn you down (Slight problems to this idea if you're already married!)

I like this, I'll tell my boyfriend he has to marry me and it has to be then!

I'm trying to fight it but feel like it's a losing battle. I applied for 3 jobs last night but don't know if it's a little over the top of me??

Booked mine the same week I went back to work after glastonbury 14'!

Thanks for this... don't know why someone would be inconsiderate enough to arrange their weeding Glasto weekend, and they had the cheek to invite me!!!

You could always play the 'there's been a death in the family card' just before the start of the festival. Tell your boss that you have to travel to Ireland for the funeral. That would give you the few days off that you need to cover the festival.

Other than that, I think the afore mentioned sickie is a fine option. Go to your doctor and tell them you are totally stressed out at work. Tell them your skin is itching with the stress and your mind is running on overload with fear and negative thoughts. Tell (not ask) your doctor that you need some time off work. Then ask them if they can give you anything to stop the state of anxiety that you feel. If you play your cards right they'll give you some Diazepam - always very useful to have around in my opinion. I've done this successfully on many an occasion.

You could always play the 'there's been a death in the family card' just before the start of the festival. Tell your boss that you have to travel to Ireland for the funeral. That would give you the few days off that you need to cover the festival.

Other than that, I think the afore mentioned sickie is a fine option. Go to your doctor and tell them you are totally stressed out at work. Tell them your skin is itching with the stress and your mind is running on overload with fear and negative thoughts. Tell (not ask) your doctor that you need some time off work. Then ask them if they can give you anything to stop the state of anxiety that you feel. If you play your cards right they'll give you some Diazepam - always very useful to have around in my opinion. I've done this successfully on many an occasion.

Nice one, cheating your employer, the taxman, and wasting your doctors time into the bargain. What a fine example you are.

Nice one, cheating your employer, the taxman, and wasting your doctors time into the bargain. What a fine example you are.

Just to clarify matters;

(1) I only ever went to the doctors claiming work related stress when I actually had work related stress. The last time this happened was when I took an overdose trying to end my life. I received urgent medical and psychiatric treatment that day. The Diazepam was given to me to stop me from shaking like a leaf with fear. I was also put on (and still am on) anti psychotics because I was found wandering around talking to people who didn't actually exist.

(2) The tax man was paid that part of my wages regardless of me being off ill.

(3) Given the above, I hardly think I was wasting my doctors time.

The reason why I mention using the above methods as an excuse to get off Glastonbury is because it will work. Yes, there's an element of naughtiness to it but it's only a few days we are talking about not months off on the sick.

The 'i've used this sucessfully on many occassions' comment made it sound like you did it regularly to avoid work. If you were genuinely ill my comments don't apply of course. The 'taxman' reference is to SSP which is paid from tax/NI contributions. Doctors have better things to do than deal with scammers so hopefully the OP won't take up your idea.

Just to clarify matters;

(1) I only ever went to the doctors claiming work related stress when I actually had work related stress. The last time this happened was when I took an overdose trying to end my life. I received urgent medical and psychiatric treatment that day. The Diazepam was given to me to stop me from shaking like a leaf with fear. I was also put on (and still am on) anti psychotics because I was found wandering around talking to people who didn't actually exist.

(2) The tax man was paid that part of my wages regardless of me being off ill.

(3) Given the above, I hardly think I was wasting my doctors time.

The reason why I mention using the above methods as an excuse to get off Glastonbury is because it will work. Yes, there's an element of naughtiness to it but it's only a few days we are talking about not months off on the sick.

The "element of naughtiness" you speak of is actually grounds for immediate termination in the vast majority of work places. Dishonesty, fraud and falsification of documentation (including sickness absence forms) are all classed as gross misconduct and you can be fired if you are found out. And while countless sickies are pulled every year, given the extensive BBC coverage, there is a possibility you may end up on TV when you're supposed to be at home in your sick bed.

The 'i've used this sucessfully on many occassions' comment made it sound like you did it regularly to avoid work. If you were genuinely ill my comments don't apply of course. The 'taxman' reference is to SSP which is paid from tax/NI contributions. Doctors have better things to do than deal with scammers so hopefully the OP won't take up your idea.

Unfortunately I was forced on several occasions to take time off work with stress owing to my previous employers failure in their duty of care to me as an employee under the Health & Safety at Work Act. Everybody around me and those from other departments I worked with publicly spoke out saying that there's no way I could do the job which had previously been undertaken by several people, but the employer refused to listen (or raise my salary after verbally indicating that they would do so).

Some people might think having a few months off work because of stress is a 'result'. It is not. It takes a long period until the bleakness of your existence lifts and you can see the light again.

As an aside and out of interest would you say that a sufferer of Münchausen syndrome is a scammer?

given the extensive BBC coverage, there is a possibility you may end up on TV when you're supposed to be at home in your sick bed.

How bad would that be!?!?!

But also so funny... I needed to go for the weekend to unwind?

I think I am going to take the high road on this.. try for tickets in October and if I'm lucky, I will re-asses in April.

It's a long way ff and things could change (fingers crossed)

Unfortunately I was forced on several occasions to take time off work with stress owing to my previous employers failure in their duty of care to me as an employee under the Health & Safety at Work Act. Everybody around me and those from other departments I worked with publicly spoke out saying that there's no way I could do the job which had previously been undertaken by several people, but the employer refused to listen (or raise my salary after verbally indicating that they would do so).

Some people might think having a few months off work because of stress is a 'result'. It is not. It takes a long period until the bleakness of your existence lifts and you can see the light again.

As an aside and out of interest would you say that a sufferer of Münchausen syndrome is a scammer?

No, a scammer is someone who pretends to be ill for their benefit, a munchasen sufferer has a recognised illness - one that does not benefit them. i would have thought someone who had mental health issues would be the last to suggest faking it, knowing the attitude some people have to these problems.