So how was it for you 2014?

Fareham Grecian

Small worry- lack of a stall for things like camping equipment

Yes this - rocked up on site with just one bottle of camping gas and thought there was bound to be some on sale somewhere. The old village shop type shop used to stock it I'm sure, along with loads of stuff like papers, bacon etc. The shop there this year (was it the same last few years?) seemed more like the awful ones you get at Glasto.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My second year and I enjoyed it as much as last year, although I wasn't really keen on any of the headliners (apart from John Grant).

I thought the atmosphere was great and the majority of people very friendly.

There were lots of kids but there didn't seem quite as many as last year.

Again, lots of chatterers but if I really wanted to see a band, I could usually head down to the front quite easily.

We arrived into the camper van field at about 2.30pm and didn't have to queue at all.

I preferred the views from last year's campervan field and the separate access but it was great to be on the flat this time.

One gripe was that there really weren't enough loos in our field. There should have been more towards the back or at either side. Also, a quarter of the field wasn't used. If they know how many camper van tickets were sold, surely they can work out roughly how much space is needed and spread us out a bit.

Not sure why they wanted cars parked separately from their caravans either.

Showers in our field was a real bonus - thank you EOTR for that. You had to be up before 7am not to queue or go later, but what a plus to have our own.

Was worried about traffic backing up as everyone was leaving via same exit on Monday morning, so got up early and was out by 8am with no bother.

Highs:

British Sea Power - a storming set in the garden with a lively crowd

Mazes, Horse Thief, Benjamin Booker, The Districts secret set, Ezra, Hookworms, GOASTT and Deer Tick,

Frank water scheme, Goan fish curry, Gin and Tonic bar, the secret post office, Silent Disco, Forest Disco

Lows:

queues for loos (that's all)

Will definitely be back next year. Cannot afford early birds but will go for the deposit scheme on tier 2

This was my 5th End Of The Road, and it's definitely changed since the first one I went to in 2009. I didn't go last year though, so perhaps some of the bad things aren't suddenly bad but have been building up. Will see.

Firstly good things:-

David Thomas Broughton (both times)

Benjamin Clemantine,

Come Heckle Christ (I liked seeing 'Jesus' chasing another man up a hill),

Wave Pictures,

Gruff,

Daniel Rossen despite being horrible plagued by sound issues,

St Vincent

The Flaming Lips (It was also fun to hear people in the next time who clearly had no idea what the Lips live show was like talking about it the next morning in a clearly confused fashion; "he was in a Zorbing ball? What?)

Benjamin Booker

Lucius

St Vincent.

Other stuff that was good

The cinema building looked nice (though I've never been in it).

Moving Boutique camping seemed to create a lot more space.

The new food stalls were pretty good. The food overall was excellent.

New Ale Tent excellent, though running out of beer...

Nice library tent addition, though as some have pointed out, too full.

The white toilets are great, the fact that they are easier to flush definitely seems to add to the cleanliness rating.

Bad stuff.

Rubbish and recycling :- I remember there being lots of seperate bins for different waste items, when did that stop happening (last year)? Seems a shame to have just one set of waste bins. Though they were emptied pretty regularly. The Campsite didn't seem to have actually waste areas so there was just bin bags dumped about; either that or no one was using the metal triangles that are for waste. Perhaps it's because EOTR had used them to label campsite areas. Also did anyone get handed rubbish bags when they entered?

Toilet Queues. Less toilets or more people? Certainly more queues. In the past I've not had to queue at every toilet on the festival site early in the morning. This year though.. In fact there wasn't a single time I wanted to use the toilet that there wasn't a queue. Not once. This despite the addition a few years ago of urinal blocks. I suppose that doesn't alleviate the need of men to defecate, but perhaps eotr thought it did and that's why they reduce the toilets in general? Also seeing people taking a piss at the fences to the side of the Woods stage. That's just disgusting. Shouldn't be happening ever, surely the stewards should be on hand to sort that out. Speaking of where there less stewards this year?

Running out of ale. It happened a few years ago too, and at No Direction. Surely by now the organisers have figured out that demand for ale is huge. They clearly have as they've created an ale tent, so why not get the supply right.

Chatters and others. So yeah as others have said, too many people talking through everything. Horrible outfits. People think it's something it's not; is that down to the bands? Is EOTR marketed differently. There's clearly a whole set of people who aren't there for the music and just there because it's a festival. Don't push to the front at St Vincent and then ask your friends who she is and talk through it. Stand at the back away from other people. Also, and I'm sure it's a controversial opinion - too many children. Or if that's a bit harsh, too many feral children. It's not fair on other festival goers to bring your children along and then let them run wild screaming. It's not a family day out, it's a music festival.

No bookshop tent! Why?

That sounds like I thought it was worse than it was, it's not true. Overly I really enjoyed myself again, but there's bits of the festival that are being spoiled now and ruining the enjoyment factor. I don't know if the capacity has sneaked up again, but there certainly seemed to be an general unpreparedness for the number of people ie. queues to get in, toilet queues, beer selling out (especially on Thursday evening). Seem to be less stewards or less stewarding going on. Ultimately I felt like there's a less caring attitude about the organisers (not the festival goers) a "well we'll get people in regardless of what we do, so there" way of thinking which I don't associate with End Of The Road at all. I hope it's not true. Not sure if I'll be back.

Rubbish and recycling

Toilet Queues.

Chatters and others. So yeah as others have said, too many people talking through everything. Horrible outfits. People think it's something it's not; is that down to the bands? Is EOTR marketed differently. There's clearly a whole set of people who aren't there for the music and just there because it's a festival. Don't push to the front at St Vincent and then ask your friends who she is and talk through it. Stand at the back away from other people.

Also, and I'm sure it's a controversial opinion - too many children. Or if that's a bit harsh, too many feral children. It's not fair on other festival goers to bring your children along and then let them run wild screaming. It's not a family day out, it's a music festival.

I don't know if the capacity has sneaked up again,

The rubbish thing was a bit bemusing.

It would be interesting to know what capacity is/was. It was 5k orginally, then 7k, then 10k.. but it did seem busier particularly on Sunday this year.

Re; Children. I'm pretty certain EOTR have said / or at least used to say EOTR was a family friendly festival and it was almost encouraged to bring them. Of course, the people with them should ensure they aren't running riot, and the people without them should show some tolerance to it too, it's not easy. Are music festivals only to be enjoyed by adults? Lots of kids there but I didn't see any displays of bad behaviour or parental irresponsibility. The site is big enough to move away from any small child that might be causing you a nuisance. IMHO.

A lot of this I think relates to the popularity of the festival - I knew some people this year going (with kids) who didn't know ANYONE on the line-up, but had heard a) it was safe, family friendly etc B) it is local to them c) it was small and well organised. These things alone sold it to them - which probably conflicts to the idea that EOTR always felt like a real muso's festival. The same reason probably applies as to why there was a small (well behaved tbf) stag / hen do element for the first time that I've seen. All relates to popularity really, and the capacity. You will always get that as numbers increase with reputation.

?? My thoughts anyway. I felt similarly after the first year with the Woods Stage btw.

I was surprised to see that there was a Sailor Jerry Rum bar and Fever Tree Gin bar. Not because I don't think they belong there but because of EOTR's attitude to sponsorship in the past. This is the same festival that declined Pieminster as trader because they felt they were 'too big' (i.e too commercial) now.

This year was my third year after prevaricating for 3 years. I have now persuaded my two best friends for 40 years to make it one of our must-do get togethers and I must admit that as the line-up was released I was feeling a sense of responsibility that this year did not seem as strong as previous years - and especially with Green Man topping out with their line-up this year - and certainly there were far less 'must-sees' for my friends this year. But I needn't have worried - the organisers know their audience so well, we may have known few of the acts in advance but for me this year was a musical highlight - far better than the last two years. The sense of finding the most remarkable acts for the first (but not the last) is a sense each of us took away (never mind the number of CDs purchased from Rough Trade and acts themselves!!) from this year - a true musical highlight of the year for 3 very very active concert goers!!! Well done EOTR I will never worry in the future - just trust them to deliver the goods"

Arrived Thursday night and headed off to the camping near to the folly - great space, great facilities and great company. The site was as magnificent as ever. Andy's Loos should really receive an award for the best festival toilets beyond none (more about these later!). I thought there seemed a wider choice of good this year and a better balance between meat and vegetarian choices this year too - had seemed almost too 50/50 in the past which was a bit disappointing to a meat eater. Loved the stalls (I personally did not miss Puckett(?) - I think the novelty had worn off last year). The area around the new Cinema facilities seemed new and interesting too whilst the woods, library and piano stage are always a delight! Viv Albertine was a delightful discovery and I think that a lot of people fell slightly in love with her on Sunday morning. Rough Trade sold out of some stuff too quickly - bring more stuff people next year, you know that you will sell it on the back of performances - but the tent provided hours of enjoyment and discovery - EOTR is a muso's delight and should always be aimed at those who love good music more than just a safe and enjoyable weekend.

The weather was the weather but it was dry and the thrill of warming up by the fire is part of the festival experience and meeting wonderful people there! Sunday was as you know simply the best sort of day England offers to festival goers - though it does seem to encourage some to camp out at the Garden Stage all day often leaving chairs and blankets unattended - come on that's just not on when you want to see an act and have to fight for space in a crowd made up of bodies and too many 'empty chairs' - if you go to eat, drink, wander or catch another act please take your chairs and blankets with you! If everyone does that then when you come back you will find the space you need - common courtesy but only seems a problem when the sun shines - maybe problem is too big a word and it's only a small gripe.

I'm a bit surprised by so many people mentioning the 'talkers' during sets - I texted my wife during the weekend to say what stands EOTR out above the Glastonbury/Leeds/V and Summer In The City events she did this summer is that no one talks during sets and I really believe that to be the case.

Can I just embarrassingly say what a wonderful group of people running the medical tent were. On Friday pm my friends and I had some major emotional unpacking to do which we did sat in the food are a for two hours washed down by 2 litres of homemade Margarita! It was a necessary and rewarding conversation but did lead to some drunken dancing to Jenny Lewis after which one of my friends wandered off to the loo and didn't come back! I spent 30 minutes shouting into each toilet cubicle at the Woods stage before deciding that he must have returned to the tent. Upon returning to the tent after Gene Clark No Other Band to find him not there we eventually found him in the medical tent where he had been taken after been been found asleep in a toilet cubicle having been there for 2 hours and suffering near hypothermia. Despite our middle age embarrassment the medical staff were super and my friend was all ready to go by Saturday morning!

Musical highlights? Wow so many but to pick out a few; The Gene Clark No Other band nailed a performance that really should have been recorded for prosperity - it was truly awesome; John Grant's set (so very different from his last appearance - please note those who criticised the repeat booking! Some artists do not stand still!) was incredible - the beats and sound of the last album finally made sense in the live environment and when you have an EOTR bouncing their arms like a teenager House Music event you know that music transcends age and style; Lily and Madeleine's Piano Stage set was touching and delicate - for teenagers they melted some hearts - sadly not the guy with the red wine who insisted on sitting on the stage chair and promptly fell asleep!; Andrew Coombs set in the Tipi was the essence of the festival - with the setting sun shining into the tent he sensed a mood and moment insisting we sat down to enjoy musicianship and story telling of the highest order- his CDs probably flew out of the tent after that set; White Denim took the Garden Stage festival bow that blew the crowd away with its immaculate sound and virtuoso playing - how many times did I hear people in the retreating crowd compare them to Zeppelin at their height - it WAS that good! But for me the festival will be remembered for a show by an 18 year old performer I had never heard of other than the odd 6Music hyperbole - Kiran Leonard - as a 51 year old I was sucked in by his energy and passion and chaotic brilliance. By the middle of his Big Top Set I was stood at the barrier wishing I was 19 again and wondering whether those who first experienced Hendrix on his first trip to London felt like this? Amazing memories and so much to explore on CD now I am home.

Any suggestions? The only one that we say every year is please let someone have a stall that sells hot fresh doughnuts - part of the festival experience and you know Churros are just not the same!

Thanks again

Okay, here we go then. 3rd one for us...."exclusively white, middle-class and aged 30-plus" (The Times,End of the Road Festival review 02/09/14)

The highlights

• Ezra Furman, both sets and especially the 'Like A Virgin' cover on Thursday
  • Kiran Leonard, so sorry I forgot the socks which I said I'd bring for you
  • St Paul & the Broken Bones, what an incredible mature set for such a young band
  • tUnE-yArDs, gets better and better, and improved with the extra voices
  • Temples & Yo La Yengo, consistenly brilliant, but shame about the BSP clash
  • White Denim, finally got to see them and far more polished, in a good way, than expected
  • The Horrors, would really have benefitted from being on in the dark
  • Flaming Lips, previously the most disappointing band I'd ever seen, now redeemed themselves, and loved the sound check
  • Mazes, TRAAMS & Eagulls, loved all three, but not too sure I'd tell them apart in a blind listening test! well maybe Eagulls have a slight distinction

Honourable Mentions

• Well done to Nick Waterhouse for organising the Red Arrows fly past during his set
  • Black Lips, the spirit of The Ramones live on
  • Dish Cafe. Now I'm not a vegetarian, but I have friends who are! Their food is lovely, and great place to sit and listen to the Garden Stage.
  • Hats off to the two little girls with their mum & dad on the front rail for tUnE-yArDs, they knew all the words, and had an attention span that lasted the whole set. They're being brought up well!

Not so high

• Disappointed with Cate Le Bon, personal I know, but expected a bit more
  • Lucius, the spirit of Scissor Sisters lives on
  • Celebration. Stop bloody moaning about borrowed instruments and sound monitors and just play your slightly under-rehearsed set. Oh, and when you say to the keyboard player "we'll do one more and we're finished" remember you have a mic in your hand. Also, the award for the most inappropriately named band...ever!

Met and chatted with some lovely people

I thought there seemed to be more stewards this year, and more of a mature nature. They also weren't shy in asking for sight of wristbands as they seemd to not do last year

Comments form previous members

• Yes, we also thought there were less loos, or were there the same amount but spread further around the site?
  • Chatterers? Not so bad down at the front, in fact we only had one WQ/chatterer incident, as we are prepared to move. The teenagers chattering in front of us about their swimming/fitness/diet during The Felice Bros were somewhat astonished when I tapped the tallest one on the shoulder and suggested he may like to move if they weren't watching the band. "Did he really say that?" Yes I did, and so glad you took my advice!! Apologies if you are reading this, I'm not usually that helpful, but you should agree I had a point!
  • 3G or any coverage. Cuh, why bother? Still look on the bright side. My samsung S3 lasted longer than the usual 5 hours and I avoided the battery charging queue, which wasn't so long this year
  • Big top sound? Can't say I really noticed. Maybe it sounded 'live'
  • Homeward bound traffic? I have a suggestion, how about a Great YORKSHIRE Steam Fair at the same time next year? We still had them slowing the traffic with their caravans & trailers north of Oxford. Only allow them on the roads between midnight and 4 a.m.!
  • Saturday night Tipi. There actually was an announcement. 'Good news - bars are open, Bad news - no bands', apart from the 3 piece that played
  • Fancy dress? Now pardon me if I'm wrong, but was there not an increase in fancy dress because Flaming Lips were playing?
  • WELLIES NEEDED. Well that long grass was pretty damn wet and soaking in the campsites

This year we spent a lot less time in the Garden stage arena, and unlike previous years we didn't even set our chairs down to sit there, once. So this year we weren't the ones tutting about people actually standing to watch a band, we have crossed to the dark side, and thread our way between buggies, miniature gypsy caravans, chairs, picnic rugs and prostrate bodies to avoid their chatter and get down to the front. did the picnickers notice Yo La Tengo on the Theatre stage? Certainly no let up in feral kids and chatting, and staying sat on your mat despite being surrounded by a large standing crowd.

I hope you've made it to the end, I'll be here next year with Early Bird's already purchased. Any one else spot that it's an e-ticket in December?

brilliant note cortez.

the medical issue apart you have captured almost perfectly how i felt about this year, from the initial lineup concerns (vs Green Man) through to the experience of Gene Clark NO band, Kiran and White Denim and how (imho) it really is about as good a festival experience as you can get.

• Celebration. Stop bloody moaning about borrowed instruments and sound monitors and just play your slightly under-rehearsed set. Oh, and when you say to the keyboard player "we'll do one more and we're finished" remember you have a mic in your hand. Also, the award for the most inappropriately named band...ever!

I really like their new album and was going to see them play a free show tonight, I'm in two minds now.

I really like their new album and was going to see them play a free show tonight, I'm in two minds now.

Without a doubt Celebration was the shoddiest, worst performance I have seen at EOTR - this year or any of the past 5. The singer looked like she was about to have a breakdown. It was a textbook display of how not to perform. It was all so uncomfortable we left after about 15 minutes :negative:

I can't really add to anything really. It were great.

EXCEPT........no one seems to be mentioning my personal highlight of the entire festie. Namely Knightmare Live. Brilliant. Funny. SO funny, in fact, we were all too loud (according to sound levels. I assume there is a clause in their license where things must remain at a certain level after midnight). And were asked to still enjoy the gig, but show your appreciation at a level of 78%. Much hilarity ensued when crowd laughed and then a chorus of "shush".

Ive made it sound crap. But, honestly, it were fuc*ing funny.

The end.

I can't really add to anything really. It were great.

EXCEPT........no one seems to be mentioning my personal highlight of the entire festie. Namely Knightmare Live. Brilliant. Funny. SO funny, in fact, we were all too loud (according to sound levels. I assume there is a clause in their license where things must remain at a certain level after midnight). And were asked to still enjoy the gig, but show your appreciation at a level of 78%. Much hilarity ensued when crowd laughed and then a chorus of "shush".

Ive made it sound crap. But, honestly, it were fuc*ing funny.

The end.

gutted i missed that, the cider bus and Richard Hawley distracted me.

• Homeward bound traffic? I have a suggestion, how about a Great YORKSHIRE Steam Fair at the same time next year? We still had them slowing the traffic with their caravans & trailers north of Oxford. Only allow them on the roads between midnight and 4 a.m.!

Completely agree about the steam fair traffic, every year I've been held up by bloody steam engines either on the way or on the way back, usually both. One year one had broken down on a blind corner. I'm amazed those things are road legal... If they could at least not be allowed down the road past the site entrance and through Newtown on Thursday and Monday it would make a huge difference.

This was our fifth consecutive EOTR and very enjoyable. We took five EOTR newbies along in our group, all of whom have already committed to next year already, so they must be doing something right.

Musical highlights for me were The Districts, The Flaming Lips, The Wave Pictures (two great sets, including a late night Tipi one discovered by accident), Benjamin Clementine, Jenny Lewis, Gruff Rhys, Sweet Baboo and the Gene Clark No Other Band. I must confess I thought the latter would be an up-itself-hipster-supergroup, but it worked really well, I enjoyed it, not knowing the record at all. I was disappointed to miss John Grant but the Flaming Lips won out there.

Food and Ale was great as ever, as was the Airstream Cocktail bar, although 8 quid for a small glass was a bit steep. Disappointing that they run out of a few things, but I always keep a stash of cans back at the tent in case of last days emergencies like this. I prefer their 'take as much as you like in within reason' approach rather than being forced to buy arena-priced (piss poor) beer like so many other festivals.

Toilets were great, but either just not enough of them or too many people. Andy Loos really do need to be commended with how well they maintain them compared ot other festivals. I only experienced a couple of chatterers, far less than my other festivals this year (Glastonbury and Reading) but there was always plenty space to move to.

The only depressing incident was two blokes in our camping field (next to Woods Stage, about 50yds from toilets) who were there to get as messed up as they could and wanted to let everybody know about it. Think of a Mancunian Begbie-from-Trainspotting and you're not far from the truth. They were pretty much intent on ignoring every EoTR rule (pilled-up to the max, glass on the campsite, noisy all night long). I had a word with them at 5am on Sunday morning about the noise - I admit I did tell them quite bluntly to "Shut the f**k up, it's 5am", only to be threatened with a headbutt! Not really the crowd you expect at EoTR - I wish dicks like this would stick to V Festival. Strangely they couldn't understand why their 'I'm pissed, Nothern and loud' Liam Gallagher-esque act every morning didn't endear them to their campsite neighbours.

Still, I'm not going to let a couple of dicks like that ruin my experience of what is an otherwise great festival. We've got a kid on the way in February so hopefully will be able to go, if we feel he/she is up to it at 6 months old. The thing that puts me off is the cold at night - it gets noticeably colder than any other festivals we go to. Is that going to be do-able with a 6 month old, assuming lots of blankets etc?. I saw a few people with under 1's about so I guess so, but the whole keeping another human alive thing will be new to us so I would like some reassurance!

Only gripe was the 8 quid wifi. I would normally take a weekend off from being tech-dependent but with a preggers wife at home I wanted to stay in touch, knowing the phone and 3G reception to be poor. I didn't expect it to be site wide or super fast, but even around the alleged hotspot area I could only get on it very briefly and slowly at 7am, after that the bandwidth was being hammered so much it wasn't worth trying. Bit of a flop, IMHO.

Completely agree about the steam fair traffic, every year I've been held up by bloody steam engines either on the way or on the way back, usually both. One year one had broken down on a blind corner. I'm amazed those things are road legal... If they could at least not be allowed down the road past the site entrance and through Newtown on Thursday and Monday it would make a huge difference.

This was my 7th on the bounce - will write something soon.

But, with regards to this comment EOTR didn't used to clash with the Great Dorset Steam Fair, but then EOTR changed it's weekend AND they have overlapped ever since - and they do so next year too. (really pisses off my wife because she (and I) would both like to visit the Steam Fair but I (not my wife, she doesn't like 'festivals') insist on doing EOTR)

that reminds me I bought the GOASTT cd from Sean (we're like that - now) and later at Rough Trade noticed they had a £5 mark up on it. Was everything that kind of price difference?

Saw Otti Albietz handing over CDs for sale to Rough Trade on Friday Morning (I think) and heard them telling him that they take 25% of sales, so not so suprising if bands want to increase their prices a little on Rough Trade sold stuff.

Still, I'm not going to let a couple of dicks like that ruin my experience of what is an otherwise great festival. We've got a kid on the way in February so hopefully will be able to go, if we feel he/she is up to it at 6 months old. The thing that puts me off is the cold at night - it gets noticeably colder than any other festivals we go to. Is that going to be do-able with a 6 month old, assuming lots of blankets etc?. I saw a few people with under 1's about so I guess so, but the whole keeping another human alive thing will be new to us so I would like some reassurance!

As you can see from my photo I took a four week old to a cold and wet Glastonbury and don't regret one minute - great bonding with child and knowing that it won't change (every part of) your life! Good luck with the birth and I'll look out for the 6 month old next year!

Not really the crowd you expect at EoTR ies like this.

Is that going to be do-able with a 6 month old, assuming lots of blankets etc?. I saw a few people with under 1's about so I guess so, but the whole keeping another human alive thing will be new to us so I would like some reassurance!

Makes me really sad to hear there were some real nobs on site. A few years back (10?) we had someone 'accidentally' fall on our tent and then they were caught for trying to nick stuff from others. So sad that such a nice festival will attract a few muppets, but atleast at EOTR this is still a massive minority.

re: baby - you will be fine if you choose to and are very prepared with layers etc. We've taken our daughter at 4mths, 16mths and 3 and abit as well as a 10mth. 10mth had a vest, sleepsuit, bear outfit, sleeping bag and blanket on and slept until he normally would this year (around 7am). Just be prepared not to get much sleep for checking on them! Hardwork but v. rewarding. And get some disposable sterile bottles if they are needed.

Right, finally awake enough to post my review.

Had a fantastic weekend. Not only was EOTR as brilliant as ever, we were aided by there being 5 of us in our little party this year, rather than the 3 of the past two years and we all had such a great laugh.

So much stuff I missed out on because the line-up was so good, and because I needed the odd bit of rest-bite. Particularly gutted to have missed Israel Nash and Perfume Genius, especially as I had plotted out ways to catch both thanks to the secret sets.

Acts of the weekend were:

Hookworms

Malkmus

Flaming Lips

Jenny Lewis

Woods

Tune-Yards

Marissa Nadler

Eagulls

AK/DK

Mazes

Lucius

Very few disappointed to be honest. Got bored during Alexis Taylor. And the festival kind of petered out, musically, with YLT and Wild Beasts (I love both, just didn't engage with their live shows). But then it was brought up a notch by dancing to Oh Carolina, Gravel Pit and Wilson Phillips in the Silent Disco.

Non-musical stuff: Knightmare Live was brilliant, food and drink was excellent as ever, loos were impeccable.

Gripes: Yeah, there were a few chatterers (I had to move during YLT), but I didn't find them overwhelming. Picnic blanket Garden Stagers caused their usual frustrations. Bar staff were vastly improved this year, but I was faced with irritating person. Left St Vincent early to catch the second half of Gene Clark. Queued up at a relatively clear Garden Stage bar to grab a quick pint before meeting up with others. I waited, and I waited, and I waited. Eventually she tells me that she can't serve me because I was straddling some imaginary line on the bar and I was "more over the other side, and therefore not her customer". So I shuffled left towards her "zone" because it was virtually empty, she continued to ignore me, they ran out of ale and I got to my friends as the encore started. Really don't know what her beef was.

My only other issue was not with the festival at all. I got stung by something, God knows what, right on the tip of my wedding ring finger. Anyway, it reacted nastily and swelled up incredibly. The guys at the first aid tent were awesome and tried absolutely everything they could think of to try and remove my ring, but the swelling was too great. In the end they, sadly, had to hacksaw my ring off my finger. Disaster!

Anyway, Early Birds booked. See you all next year!